Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

GoofGoof

Premium Member
As long as Tatooine Traders stays open, WDW can afford to separate in-world immersive merch sold in the land from meta-referential merch sold outside of it... I would think. That and the fact that almost ever other Disney store sells SW merch.
It’s possible they go that way, at least at first. I think they would need a bigger store though. It’s also going to be kinda odd that you can’t buy Star Wars stuff in SW Land. There’s a reason why the traditional ride gift shop is located immediately after the ride exit. People make impulse buys because they are caught up in the thrill and excitement of riding the ride. Having to then walk to another area to buy merchandise will be a let down. I think it’s bad for business and also bad for guest experience. A lot of people like the gift shops and want to buy a souvenir there.
Pandora can work on different levels though since it is run by an ecotourism company. So having "tourist items" for sale actually makes sense in context. If you are spending all that money travelling across the universe visiting Pandora, you might pick up a t-shirt or plush for the grandkids while you're there.

On that note, it would be interesting/fun if some of the merch in SW:GE is specifically themed to tourist stuff for Batuu. You know, like magnets or t-shirts that say "Batuu" or depict landmarks from the planet (as opposed to saying "Star Wars" or "Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge"). To sell that immersion.

But I would agree that you'll definitely see not in immersive theme stuff in the shops. Maybe not at first -- they might just have that stuff at Tatooine Traders and Launch Bay or even the shops on Hollywood Blvd. But eventually they will have more generic things in the land just because of the demand from regular tourists.

As for Harry Potter stuff being in universe...

filchs-emporium-wizarding-world-of-harry-potter-954-oi.jpg
They can just make up a convoluted backstory about a trading company selling humans souvenirs in SW Land too. They are going to need a backstory to explain all the humans in t-shirts and shorts pushing double wide strollers anyway;)

I have honestly never heard a single person mention that the immersion in WWoHP was ruined by selling Universal t-shirts or hats or the other random stuff. If anything most theme park fans feel those lands are some of the best in the world.

No Name

Will any merchandise sold in the RnRC gift shop say "Rock 'n' Roller Coaster" on it? Will any merchandise sold within Toy Story Land say "Toy Story" on it?

No Name

The TSL merch will say "Andy's Backyard"

Are your expectations for immersion the same for Batuu and RnRC?

Just wondering why people support a double standard or criticize a lack of one.

It would be no more difficult to have non-referential merchandise in TSL (I doubt it won't say "Toy Story") and RnRC and elsewhere than it would be to have it in Galaxy's Edge. Has naught to do with capex budget or infrastructure or whatnot. So I certainly hope they'd strive for the same standard throughout the park when it comes to something easily-changeable like merchandise, or CM nametags, pin lanyards, MB readers, etc. But I don't expect them to.

nickys

Premium Member
I agree. Cant get around the thousands of visitors in shorts and flip flops no matter how well done the land is.

Unless of course you stay at the Star Wars resort for their totally immersive weekends with, no doubt, extra EMH exclusively for fellow guests who are wearing their costumes......

(Just don't mention the additional guests who will still be wearing Mickey Mouse shirts and flip flops, thereby ruining even such an exclusive immersive experience :p ).

lukacseven

Was able to get a really good look at the construction from the overpass above South Studios Drive during the marathon on Sunday. Sorry, no pics, but looks like rock work forms on both attractions are under way. Maybe someone else had a camera/phone & will post them.

tl77

Yeah, I think people are taking this all a bit too far and a bit too literally.

Disney is not going to open a theme park land of Star Wars and not sell Star Wars merchandise in it. I have a feeling it will be exactly as you describe - the storefronts and the stuff visible from the outside will be one way, and some smaller boutique things staying within that stringent "theme" - but to expect it only to be like that just doesn't seem realistic in any fashion.
Like this right?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom