Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Maerj

You could just cut out the middle man and buy yourself some sets. Being an adult fan of LEGO is so much better - imagination, but with a real budget!

https://flickr.com/photos/16171417@N00/sets/72157652276484853

That said, I don’t buy LEGO at WDW. The prices are slightly inflated and I can get that at home at Walmart or a local LEGO store, most of what I need usually on clearance.

And I’ll be very sad to see LEGO on Batuu - I’m hoping for the merch-grab of that sort to go on out along Hollywood Blvd. Though I haven’t been to Pandora - isn’t all the merch there specifically labeled “in universe” as ACE produced?

They have been saying that all of the SW merchandise is going to be what you saw in those pictures. No carded SW figures, no Legos. I think that they will build a 'regular' Star Wars merchandise store outside of the land. Maybe they will do a character meet and greet out there as well. That way people can do their meet and greets, pictures, etc. and it won't interfere with the immersion of the land. Maybe they will put that stuff near Star Tours, thus a reason to keep the ride outside of the land?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
They have been saying that all of the SW merchandise is going to be what you saw in those pictures. No carded SW figures, no Legos. I think that they will build a 'regular' Star Wars merchandise store outside of the land. Maybe they will do a character meet and greet out there as well. That way people can do their meet and greets, pictures, etc. and it won't interfere with the immersion of the land. Maybe they will put that stuff near Star Tours, thus a reason to keep the ride outside of the land?
I thought they said the “toy store” in galaxy Edge would be limited to things unique to that location like the items from the pictures posted. That doesn’t mean there won’t be another store somewhere in the land that has more generic SW merchandise. I agree that if there isn’t they will certainly sell the merchandise in a store or several stores outside the land.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I thought they said the “toy store” in galaxy Edge would be limited to things unique to that location like the items from the pictures posted. That doesn’t mean there won’t be another store somewhere in the land that has more generic SW merchandise. I agree that if there isn’t they will certainly sell the merchandise in a store or several stores outside the land.

It's really going to come down to how far Disney is going to go with the immersion, and how long that immersion lasts. Having main stream Star Wars mech in the land would go against the full immersion concept.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
You could just cut out the middle man and buy yourself some sets. Being an adult fan of LEGO is so much better - imagination, but with a real budget!

https://flickr.com/photos/16171417@N00/sets/72157652276484853

That said, I don’t buy LEGO at WDW. The prices are slightly inflated and I can get that at home at Walmart or a local LEGO store, most of what I need usually on clearance.

And I’ll be very sad to see LEGO on Batuu - I’m hoping for the merch-grab of that sort to go on out along Hollywood Blvd. Though I haven’t been to Pandora - isn’t all the merch there specifically labeled “in universe” as ACE produced?
The Pandora store is a mix of stuff. They have unique items like the banshees and the build your own necklace thing, but they also sell tons of standard souvenirs like t-shirts, hats, plushes and toys for the kids like action figures. With Avatar there aren’t as many places to buy those things in the real world so a lot of it ends up being unique.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
It's really going to come down to how far Disney is going to go with the immersion, and how long that immersion lasts. Having main stream Star Wars mech in the land would go against the full immersion concept.
Agreed, but they already released pictures of the Galaxy’s Edge t-shirts. I can’t imagine they won’t be sold in the land.

D78BB699-67DB-40A7-A95B-4B855F613407.jpeg

4ABCA53B-08AD-43FA-ADB5-0E266038FC98.jpeg

9063AC28-A483-4383-896E-E0521C3EFA1F.jpeg

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I would prepare to have the immersion broken. Somewhere within this land there will be a gift shop with a shirt or hat that says Star Wars on it.

I could see them keeping those types of items outside of open areas like the Toydarian toy trader’s stall from the concept art and keeping the items sold there unique and “hand made” but there will likely be other merchandise locations as well that are not as open to the outside.
99835EA0-9F0D-49A9-94BB-91750B030CDF.jpeg

I could see it being similar to how the carts and outside stalls in Africa at AK mostly sell more in theme merchandise like drums and African souvenirs but inside the stores they still sell all the normal Disney souvenir stuff.

AEfx

I would prepare to have the immersion broken. Somewhere within this land there will be a gift shop with a shirt or hat that says Star Wars on it.

I could see it being similar to how the carts and outside stalls in Africa at AK mostly sell more in theme merchandise like drums and African souvenirs but inside the stores they still sell all the normal Disney souvenir stuff.

Yeah, I think people are taking this all a bit too far and a bit too literally.

Disney is not going to open a theme park land of Star Wars and not sell Star Wars merchandise in it. I have a feeling it will be exactly as you describe - the storefronts and the stuff visible from the outside will be one way, and some smaller boutique things staying within that stringent "theme" - but to expect it only to be like that just doesn't seem realistic in any fashion.

IMDREW

@marni1971 Sorry if you’ve been asked a 100 times before, but I couldn’t find anything about it in the last couple of pages. But do you know about when they aim to open HS galaxy’s edge? I live in the Netherlands and am planning a trip to orlando in nov of 2019 but would hate it if I just missed it. Again, sorry of you’ve already been asked this before..

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
@marni1971 Sorry if you’ve been asked a 100 times before, but I couldn’t find anything about it in the last couple of pages. But do you know about when they aim to open HS galaxy’s edge? I live in the Netherlands and am planning a trip to orlando in nov of 2019 but would hate it if I just missed it. Again, sorry of you’ve already been asked this before..
That’s at the very back end of the opening window. Unless something unforseen happens it should be open before then.

But obviously don’t plan a trip around what I say!

doctornick

The Pandora store is a mix of stuff. They have unique items like the banshees and the build your own necklace thing, but they also sell tons of standard souvenirs like t-shirts, hats, plushes and toys for the kids like action figures. With Avatar there aren’t as many places to buy those things in the real world so a lot of it ends up being unique.

Pandora can work on different levels though since it is run by an ecotourism company. So having "tourist items" for sale actually makes sense in context. If you are spending all that money travelling across the universe visiting Pandora, you might pick up a t-shirt or plush for the grandkids while you're there.

On that note, it would be interesting/fun if some of the merch in SW:GE is specifically themed to tourist stuff for Batuu. You know, like magnets or t-shirts that say "Batuu" or depict landmarks from the planet (as opposed to saying "Star Wars" or "Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge"). To sell that immersion.

But I would agree that you'll definitely see not in immersive theme stuff in the shops. Maybe not at first -- they might just have that stuff at Tatooine Traders and Launch Bay or even the shops on Hollywood Blvd. But eventually they will have more generic things in the land just because of the demand from regular tourists.

As for Harry Potter stuff being in universe...

filchs-emporium-wizarding-world-of-harry-potter-954-oi.jpg

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Pandora can work on different levels though since it is run by an ecotourism company. So having "tourist items" for sale actually makes sense in context. If you are spending all that money travelling across the universe visiting Pandora, you might pick up a t-shirt or plush for the grandkids while you're there.

On that note, it would be interesting/fun if some of the merch in SW:GE is specifically themed to tourist stuff for Batuu. You know, like magnets or t-shirts that say "Batuu" or depict landmarks from the planet (as opposed to saying "Star Wars" or "Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge"). To sell that immersion.

But I would agree that you'll definitely see not in immersive theme stuff in the shops. Maybe not at first -- they might just have that stuff at Tatooine Traders and Launch Bay or even the shops on Hollywood Blvd. But eventually they will have more generic things in the land just because of the demand from regular tourists.

As for Harry Potter stuff being in universe...

filchs-emporium-wizarding-world-of-harry-potter-954-oi.jpg

Potter is definitely not perfect, but it could be argues that everything there is "in world" except the Wizarding World shirts and hats.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom