Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Rodan75

Announcing the opening date during an Earnings Call is a pretty significant commitment. If they miss 2019 for WDW, it will have to be discussed during future earnings calls and will have an impact on share price. And now that P&R has a spotlight thanks to weakness at ESPN, it will be all hands on deck.

From this point on, Chapek has a goal and if he misses it. It won't be pretty.

I suspect that when Spirit gets back, he'll tell us that the commandment came down from Iger/Chapek that it had to be done in 2019 and that no delays would be tolerated. Despite an initial goal of slowing down the WDW launch.

P_Radden

Sorry Martin, I wasn't trying to specifically single you out with regards to the timeline. Iger's mention doesn't convince me that the timeline has been finalized anyway- or at least it doesn't convince me that they'll actually finish on time regardless of the timetables. I've frankly never cared about construction timetables, it's doesn't really interest me beyond refuting all of the nonsense here when people compare a $20m Universal hack job screen ride vs. Disney's $20m multiyear restrooms. :) Stuff opens when it opens and I'll book a flight or plan a trip when I know it's going to be open. Frankly I'm twiddling my thumbs waiting for Efteling to firm up an opening date for Symbolica to see if we can ride that this summer (an announcement was made but given their issues with getting stuff open on time- or even in the same year).

With regards to Alcatraz, you and I both know that the Falcon ride is far more reliant on screens and that parts of Alcatraz are going to take forever. Imagine building two Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey rides at the same time as you're building two gringotts rides that have transformers elements thrown in- then toss in a couple hundred animatronics. If the figures are all going to be electrical ones, is anyone besides Disney equipped to build/maintain them? Do they even have the workforce to pump out a few animatronics a week (which is what's needed if everything's going to be done in 2.5 years).

Between the four rides being built at the same time, the number of vehicles, robots, and other components has got to be epic. And to think they wanted to do 4 SWL's at the same time originally.
4 SWLs originally? DL, DHS, then I'm guessing HKDL & WDSP?

Magic Feather

That's debatable.

Right, like is the report of plenty of animatronics just as erroneous as the "getting out of your vehicle" stuff, and really it's all screens (with many nice sets)? Or will there be plenty of animatronics in addition to lots of screens?
To expand, in the ride itself, there are no ride-walk-ride portions, however, that includes what you constitute tobe the ride. There are a few elaborate pre shows one of which involves movement, but the ride itself is consecutive.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
To expand, in the ride itself, there are no ride-walk-ride portions, however, that includes what you constitute tobe the ride. There are a few elaborate pre shows one of which involves movement, but the ride itself is consecutive.
Oh yes. The queue / preshow(s) will tend to blur into one. Dare I say it the experience could surpass Forbidden Journey for detail, scale and..... things to see.

rushtest4echo

It's the equivalent of saying Mansion, Living Seas, or Journey to the Center of the Earth make you 'get off a ride' of an elevator before 'getting on another one'.

rushtest4echo

Announcing the opening date during an Earnings Call is a pretty significant commitment. If they miss 2019 for WDW, it will have to be discussed during future earnings calls and will have an impact on share price. And now that P&R has a spotlight thanks to weakness at ESPN, it will be all hands on deck.

From this point on, Chapek has a goal and if he misses it. It won't be pretty.

I suspect that when Spirit gets back, he'll tell us that the commandment came down from Iger/Chapek that it had to be done in 2019 and that no delays would be tolerated. Despite an initial goal of slowing down the WDW launch.

Of course Spirit will offer that up to cover the baseless innuendo that he's been spinning. Doesn't he always? "Things are changing"... ;)

roj2323

Oh yes. The queue / preshow(s) will tend to blur into one. Dare I say it the experience could surpass Forbidden Journey for detail, scale and..... things to see.

Man I hope so. Disney really really needs to up their game. The last few additions to the parks, fantasyland 2 for example, have been quite disappointing. The additions to DAK however seem to be an exception.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Man I hope so. Disney really really needs to up their game. The last few additions to the parks, fantasyland 2 for example, have been quite disappointing. The additions to DAK however seem to be an exception.
I think Avland will look great and will have some good attractions, but they should have been better. Although the Omnimax queue will be a great experience (and very long for standby)

SWL I think will look great and have two great attractions, both with great pre-ride experiences. But it will need and should have a third.

Earl Sweatpants

I think Avland will look great and will have some good attractions, but they should have been better. Although the Omnimax queue will be a great experience (and very long for standby)

SWL I think will look great and have two great attractions, both with great pre-ride experiences. But it will need and should have a third.
It sounds like what they're doing is designing an attraction that has a 30-minute queue adventure, followed by a 3-4 minute actual ride adventure. Smart.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Don't know why so many are of the impression 2 entire years is somehow unachievable.

Disney may have been slow getting to this point, but it's in their best interests to get this thing open asap.

What has been proffered:

1. WDW has (almost) always been behind schedule. So, if they say, 2019, then count on 2021. Don't show me aerials of the construction site being on schedule. My gut is righter than a photo.

2. Disney Inc has a favorite child, Anaheim. And it will do anything to screw over Orlando, even if it means giving up years of extra income in Orlando just so Anaheim gets the spotlight by having a SWL in Anaheim a few years ahead of Orlando.

3. It's all about spreading cost. If I have to outlay a billion dollars for a land, I'm going to spread the project out over 5 years so they can put down on the books I'm only outlaying 200 million dollars a year!! Doesn't matter that if I did it in three years that I would start getting extra revenue sooner than later... it's all about the most important accounting rule in the world, namely, that capital expenditure must be spread out as much as possible in real time (don't give me any of those fancy accounting tricks of spreading the cost out over a long time 'on paper'... it has to be in real construction time!!).

Can I skip all that with a single rider line? If I'm not in a moving vehicle, I'm wasting my time. (Corollary: If it doesn't have a moving vehicle, it's not a ride and thus, doesn't count as an attraction.)

Whew... enough channeling.... :D

BrianLo

What has been proffered:

1. WDW has (almost) always been behind schedule. So, if they say, 2019, then count on 2021. Don't show me aerials of the construction site being on schedule. My gut is righter than a photo.

2. Disney Inc has a favorite child, Anaheim. And it will do anything to screw over Orlando, even if it means giving up years of extra income in Orlando just so Anaheim gets the spotlight by having a SWL in Anaheim a few years ahead of Orlando.

Can I skip all that with a single rider line? If I'm not in a moving vehicle, I'm wasting my time. (Corollary: If it doesn't have a moving vehicle, it's not a ride and thus, doesn't count as an attraction.)

1. WDW is already behind schedule, SWL was supposed to be an 'early' 2019 offering at DHS. Even WDW's notoriously slow projects still cap out around 3.5 years from actual start of construction. 2021 is a much more ridiculous suggestion than 2019 and would require a whole new monumental level of screw up. The good thing is the bugs will be worked out on the opposite coast first.

2. TDO honestly does it to themselves. For years their favourite child was Orlando... until they turned into the monster they've become.

Towards your corollary: if it doesn't have a moving vehicle, it's not a ride, it's a walk through. Which is still very much considered an attraction.

britain

I appreciate the insights from everyone, thanks!

If anyone wants to chime in on my "lots of AA's" question, I'd be most appreciative.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom