Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

the.dreamfinder

Sounds like this will be one to skip the FP option
Like they'll even be able to offer FP.
giphy.gif

Stole that from Cesar

This is a land that's going to have AP blockouts/scheduled land entry for a very long time.

Earl Sweatpants

Queue being a bigger part of the ride. Don't get me wrong, a great queue and preshow adds to the experience but the ride should be the finale, not something lesser than the pre ride.
Agreed. Queue should whet the appetite for what awaits and make you not realize you've been waiting in line for so long. But the actual ride itself should be the crowning achievement.

BrianLo

So was any of the Micechat rumor about 100+ animatronics (some small some huge) true?

Yes, but there are many, many, many storm troopers. Will make for an impressive scene, but don't get caught up in that number when they are burning through the majority on storm troopers.

There are other impressive AA's. Again I'll point towards PoTC in Shanghai for an expectation of a screen/set/AA ratio. With a much more involved queue. Plus a load of storm troopers.

Mike S

Like they'll even be able to offer FP.
giphy.gif

Stole that from Cesar

This is a land that's going to have AP blockouts/scheduled land entry for a very long time.
And that'll be my final straw. Of all the lousy things they could do. It's their fault DHS isn't a built out park with more capacity. Take it on yourselves and fix the damn problem instead of screwing over your most loyal customers and pushing it on them.

gorillaball

What has been proffered:

3. It's all about spreading cost. If I have to outlay a billion dollars for a land, I'm going to spread the project out over 5 years so they can put down on the books I'm only outlaying 200 million dollars a year!! Doesn't matter that if I did it in three years that I would start getting extra revenue sooner than later... it's all about the most important accounting rule in the world, namely, that capital expenditure must be spread out as much as possible in real time (don't give me any of those fancy accounting tricks of spreading the cost out over a long time 'on paper'... it has to be in real construction time!!).

:D

Do you have a financial background? I couldn't disagree more, what benefit is spreading out the costs? To companies tight on cash this might be a concern - not for the mouse. It has pretty much no impact on results (which is important to the mouse), the limited impact it does have on the books (depending on your policy of depreciating your capex) is then followed up with analysis of return on that capex investment. I certainly wouldn't want to see capex out the door and then someone tell my my return on that investment is still 5 years away.

If you aren't short on cash and there and you can't save overall costs by reducing overtime/man hours there is no reason to spread out the costs. I think this is one of the top 5 falsehoods spread around these boards.

If I have to outlay a billion dollars for a land, I want to know when that billion is going to start paying dividends, end of story.

britain

Yes, but there are many, many, many storm troopers. Will make for an impressive scene, but don't get caught up in that number when they are burning through the majority on storm troopers.

There are other impressive AA's. Again I'll point towards PoTC in Shanghai for an expectation of a screen/set/AA ratio. With a much more involved queue. Plus a load of storm troopers.

Ha! I was afraid of that. They're using them all up for one scene!

There are other impressive AA's? Please let it be a scout walker! As impressive as Shanghai is, I'm a little disappointed that they only have 4 AA's! It feels a tad sparse. We're a long LONG way from an auction scene, a town burning scene, a jail scene etc.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Do you have a financial background? I couldn't disagree more, what benefit is spreading out the costs? To companies tight on cash this might be a concern - not for the mouse. It has pretty much no impact on results (which is important to the mouse), the limited impact it does have on the books (depending on your policy of depreciating your capex) is then followed up with analysis of return on that capex investment. I certainly wouldn't want to see capex out the door and then someone tell my my return on that investment is still 5 years away.

If you aren't short on cash and there and you can't save overall costs by reducing overtime/man hours there is no reason to spread out the costs. I think this is one of the top 5 falsehoods spread around these boards.

If I have to outlay a billion dollars for a land, I want to know when that billion is going to start paying dividends, end of story.

@ParentsOf4 seems to think that there are reasons to spread project costs. I don't know his actual background but he often does posts analysis of Disney's financial numbers so he seems to know what he is talking about.

"Spreading a project's cost over several years is one well established method used by many companies to reduce impact on the current year's budget. It really should be no surprise that P&R's budget-conscious team uses this old trick."

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
@ParentsOf4 seems to think that there are reasons to spread project costs. I don't know his actual background but he often does posts analysis of Disney's financial numbers so he seems to know what he is talking about.

"Spreading a project's cost over several years is one well established method used by many companies to reduce impact on the current year's budget. It really should be no surprise that P&R's budget-conscious team uses this old trick."

Yes, but Capex costs are normally capitalized over many years by simply making it so on the books, not by slowing down construction projects to make that happen.

A better reason for slowing down a construction project is that you don't have enough cash/liquidity to pay the costs of the current construction. This is why WDW can't just start building a dozen "Lands" all at once.

It is possible that Disney Inc did not arrange for enough cash to pay for all the projects in a timely manner? I don't know. Seems unlikely. Since these projects are very likely to increase revenue, it doesn't make sense to slow them down for lack of cash. You then borrow money to make it happen and the new revenue will allow for the pay-back.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom