Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Unplugged

A few random thoughts. Like JT & Kman stated, DL has to get the new infrastructure in place for the train, storage, the burm, and to address their shortening of the RoA. So obviously, that's priority 1 to get the attractions they have, moving again.

Instead of that additional infrastructure work of new construction, our DS location has ground stabilization issues. If you remove the non-SWL specific stuff, the work isn't that far off. Check out some of the videos on YouTube of DL's SWL , there isn't that much difference between DS & DL other than they have a few foundations in place. The DL site looks really busy, but the focus doesn't look to be SW yet.

Since DS should be built above ground and graded up, assuming they take the same design, we should see some big progress after the New Year to get those foundations in place.

But as always, I know nothing and even that will be proven wrong.

BrianLo

A combination of little things... rotating ride system (for capacity as opposed to show experience), multiple exterior projection as opposed to a single in cabin screen, that kind of thing. And of course a more intimate experience.

Are we going to just get one giant Forbidden Journey-esque carousel with simulator pods, or will there be actual physical transitions between different scenes/screens?

fj_carousel1.png

The Osceola interchange permit has part of the new entrance road, but doesn't seem to show a new toll plaza of how it will connect to the existing parking, so I think they might still be locking down the parking details. I honestly don't believe we will see a change that expands attractions into the area where the new parking is being built.

View attachment 181058

Correct. It will all be surface parking and a reconfigured bus area. The toll plaza will be located just north of where the road ends in the drawing you attached.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
A few random thoughts. Like JT & Kman stated, DL has to get the new infrastructure in place for the train, storage, the burm, and to address their shortening of the RoA. So obviously, that's priority 1 to get the attractions they have, moving again.

Instead of that additional infrastructure work of new construction, our DS location has ground stabilization issues. If you remove the non-SWL specific stuff, the work isn't that far off. Check out some of the videos on YouTube of DL's SWL , there isn't that much difference between DS & DL other than they have a few foundations in place. The DL site looks really busy, but the focus doesn't look to be SW yet.

Since DS should be built above ground and graded up, assuming they take the same design, we should see some big progress after the New Year to get those foundations in place.

But as always, I know nothing and even that will be proven wrong.

DHS will have some berm work to separate SWL from the rest of the park. It's not as complex as what DL has to build, but something will be built which they haven't started on. As for the battle ride, DHS is about at the point DL was in mid august, although the construction techniques for the foundation are different so it's hard to make an accurate comparison. So far DL has the main pit for the ride dug, the concrete floor poured and are well underway with the walls. There are also a couple of foundations for other ride elements, and they have about half the foundation for the outside wall of show building complete.

Atomicmickey

As far as I'm aware each pod will have its own set of screens as part of itself. No physical transitions needed.

Maybe I missed something, haven't seen that drawing before. Is that the ride system, as far as we know? From the drawing it doesn't look like the 'pods' have axes of movement, which seems odd. Perhaps just not part of that render.

ToTBellHop

To be fair, I would think their construction schedule puts the new Mickey E-ticket at late 2019 and they want it to open with SWL, so there is no impetus to rush. They are going at the pace required to meet their target date. We still have lots of excitement coming after many years of stagnation, and I would imagine we would be feeling less impatient if Rivers if Light had premiered as planned.

Haymarket2008

To be fair, I would think their construction schedule puts the new Mickey E-ticket at late 2019 and they want it to open with SWL, so there is no impetus to rush. They are going at the pace required to meet their target date. We still have lots of excitement coming after many years of stagnation, and I would imagine we would be feeling less impatient if Rivers if Light had premiered as planned.

Glad to hear the Mickey E-ticket is back on track after some strange hints of it being delayed by other posters.

HauntedMansionFLA

Is this still going in where The Great Movie Ride is located or has the site moved elsewhere in the park? Let's say - SW Launch Bay?

Kman101

For a park that needs attractions, and one of the reasons (supposedly) GOTG didn't get forced into ToT (not wanting anything else closed), why on earth is the Mickey ride not a new build? (Well, obviously I know why). So now the main attraction as you walk down Hollywood Blvd. will be closed. One more attraction down. All I seem to do is shake my head at their decisions.

ToTBellHop

For a park that needs attractions, and one of the reasons (supposedly) GOTG didn't get forced into ToT (not wanting anything else closed), why on earth is the Mickey ride not a new build? (Well, obviously I know why). So now the main attraction as you walk down Hollywood Blvd. will be closed. One more attraction down. All I seem to do is shake my head at their decisions.
Yeah, it's a poor choice when the Launch Bay space is available and far more appropriate. The bones of GMR are good and they could have updated the scenes to create largely a new ride for relatively little money.

Kman101

Yeah, it's a poor choice when the Launch Bay space is available and far more appropriate. The bones of GMR are good and they could have updated the scenes to create largely a new ride for relatively little money.

And hasn't @marni1971 said they won't even use all of the GMR building for the new ride? That makes it even more frustrating. I understand wanting the Star Wars launch bay stuff but that all could be moved elsewhere. VOTLM could go. They already have Mickey and pals in Disney Junior , which could also be moved (I know, it costs money to move things). Why they aren't repurposing that entire are doesn't make sense except they're thinking short-term and not long-term. I know I'm preaching to the choir and I don't run the parks but man ... lol

Haymarket2008

Do they have ANY other legit attractions opening in the next 5 years besides Star Wars, Toy Story, and Mickey? Seems to me like they have nothing in consideration....pretty disappointing.

DinoInstitute

Sadly it's still the GMR. Though Animation Courtyard would (obviously) be perfect.
It really would. They could retheme it from the backlot style to be a part of old Hollywood, and it could be another wonderful part of the "city". And the best part about putting the ride there IMO would be being able to connect the exit to One Mans Dream as a post show.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom