Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Mike S

I know. And if they're having ops problems getting that concept to work, that's why I suggested a possible more logical solution.
And here's a post from the DL version of this thread.
@BrianLo and @marni1971 were, as usual, correct. Think a very elaborate queue with multiple parts and pre-show experiences, some that involve motion but are not on the actual ride vehicle, culminating in the ride itself. You won't be disembarking the ride vehicle and then getting back on.
Case closed.

Rob562

An hour???!!!

That's assuming an 18-second dispatch (from Touring Plans) which to me doesn't seem right.

But checking my math using that data:
There are 3600 seconds in an hour. Divided by 18 seconds gives 200 dispatches per hour. Times 32 passengers per truck is 6400 per hour.

Even if we halve that to one truck dispatch every 36 seconds, that's a theoretical capacity of 3200/hour. Operationally I hesitate to think that's even possible... The second truck in a pair is probably 20-30 seconds behind the first truck, but you don't get a pair of trucks departing the loading dock every 72 seconds, do you?

-Rob

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
That's assuming an 18-second dispatch (from Touring Plans) which to me doesn't seem right.

There are 3600 seconds in an hour. Divided by 18 seconds gives 200 dispatches per hour. Times 32 passengers per truck is 6400 per hour.

Even if we halve that to one truck dispatch every 36 seconds, that's a theoretical capacity of 3200/hour. Operationally I hesitate to think that's even possible... The second truck in a pair is probably 20-30 seconds behind the first truck, but you don't get a pair of trucks departing the loading dock every 72 seconds, do you?

-Rob
They can't load a truck in 18 seconds let alone dispatch one. I'm looking for the right figure.

YodaMan

-Rob

Your 3200 is a little high, but fairly close to correct when running as efficiently as possible. There are 9 rows and you can fit between 4 and 5 people per row (sometimes more if the children are small enough) so sometimes you can fit more people per vehicle than you're assuming. And vehicles can dispatch roughly 30 seconds apart, but it also depends on how many vehicles are on the path and how long the drivers are taking (and if animals are causing delays). But 3000ish is fairly close.

Goofyernmost

Nobody seems to have mentioned the most logical solution: You don't sit down in the ride vehicle. It would work the same way as modern day Ferris wheels' like the London Eye or the Las Vegas High Roller. Vehicles are continually cycling through a boarding area. Guests pile on. There's a limit to how many guests each vehicle can hold, but otherwise operators simply keep loading until the vehicle reaches the edge of the platform. There's not a particular worry to fill seats and certainly no need to herd guests into orderly "rows," as another vehicle comes promptly behind. When loading is finished, door closes and off it goes. There's no checking of lap bars, the ride vehicle is large enough - and the ride smooth and flat enough (which I assume it is, since no trackless ride yet has dealt with slopes) - for it to be a free roaming pod.

I've always thought this was the solution to Disneyland's submarine ride, which is a great ride marred by an awful loading and unloading procedure. Seat-less rides like this are relatively rare. For one, they are a lot more work. Because a guest is allowed the freedom to look any direction she chooses, the sets thus have to be more elaborate and more immersive all around the ride vehicle. Second, the ride vehicles have to be relatively large, the London Eye capsules are eight by four meters and can fit 25 people. But when done well you get...well, you get the Rivers of America, which this is replacing (isn't it ironic?).

I also don't think it would work with an "everybody on/everybody off" attitude. Guests should be allowed to stay at the mid-ride stop for as long as they would like to explore it. When they're ready, just hop on the next pod outta there.
I don't think that the submarine seats had anything to do with it. Once you stood up they folded up and out of the way and it was a straight walk out. The problem was that you had to negotiate stairs up and down and that automatically slowed the process. It, however, went as fast as possible. They opened the front hatch and people started to exit. At the same time others start to load. It all moved at the same speed. There were no lap belts and no real requirement that everyone be seated, it was what you had to do to see out the windows.

yeti

The idea of a ride that you have to get in and out of sounds awful. A logistics nightmare AND it doesn't sound particularly fun to ride. Yuck. :hungover:

It could work....if there were two distinct ride paths with similar capacities, where you wouldn't get back in the same vehicle, and the squeamish could have a chance to take the chicken exit.

AEfx

I'm the opposite. The big thing that bothers me about the lands are how they are essentially carbon copies of each other.

Which is something unique to park fans at sites like this. Most people expect there to be similar offerings across the MK-style parks and are disappointed to be told that "you can only do that 3,000 miles away".

ToTBellHop

They can't load a truck in 18 seconds let alone dispatch one. I'm looking for the right figure.
Seems like trucks are usually more like a minute apart. Much more for the nighttime safari--that loads SLOWLY though I'm sure they dispatch less often for the comfort of the animals. I swear that line moved like RnRC's!

choco choco

I don't think that the submarine seats had anything to do with it. Once you stood up they folded up and out of the way and it was a straight walk out. The problem was that you had to negotiate stairs up and down and that automatically slowed the process. It, however, went as fast as possible. They opened the front hatch and people started to exit. At the same time others start to load. It all moved at the same speed. There were no lap belts and no real requirement that everyone be seated, it was what you had to do to see out the windows.

No no, the front hatch and back hatch access different sides of the submarine. You have to exit out the hatch you enter in, it isn't a through way. That means you have to wait for everyone on your side of the submarine to disembark before your side can load, and if the front hatch is fully loaded but the back hatch isn't, the submarine as a whole waits.

That was kinda my whole point. If there wasn't seats inside the submarine, then the system you and I were speaking of - one hatch is entering and one hatch is exiting in a continuous loop - could work better. The submarines also have a linear loading dock, so one slow submarine load backs up the whole entire line. This is actually the main problem. If the submarines had parallel docks, then if one sub is loading particularly slow then the other submarine can go first, freeing up their space for another boat to start their cycle. But as it is now, if someone is holding up the submarine in front, the subs behind, even if they're ready, have to wait.

AEfx

That was kinda my whole point. If there wasn't seats inside the submarine, then the system you and I were speaking of - one hatch is entering and one hatch is exiting in a continuous loop - could work better. The submarines also have a linear loading dock, so one slow submarine load backs up the whole entire line. This is actually the main problem. If the submarines had parallel docks, then if one sub is loading particularly slow then the other submarine can go first, freeing up their space for another boat to start their cycle. But as it is now, if someone is holding up the submarine in front, the subs behind, even if they're ready, have to wait.

I'm not sure I get your ultimate point, though. You want people sitting on the floor? The windows are so low already you have to hunch over a bit to see through them, standing up you couldn't see a thing.

Goofyernmost

No no, the front hatch and back hatch access different sides of the submarine. You have to exit out the hatch you enter in, it isn't a through way. That means you have to wait for everyone on your side of the submarine to disembark before your side can load, and if the front hatch is fully loaded but the back hatch isn't, the submarine as a whole waits.

You are speaking of the subs in Disneyland and I am talking about the ones that were in WDW. Sorry, I thought we were doing the WDW discussion. I have never ridden the subs in DL so I'll have to just take your word for it.

brb1006

Since Serpico likes to talk in riddles, parables, and Swahili, I will try and decipher what was set forth in a recent discussion:
2017 - Avatar, Night Time Parade at MK
2018 - TSL, Shows at DHS (maybe)
2019 - SWL, GMR replacement, SGE replacement (may go into 2020)
2020 - EPCOT addition (s) (not World Showcase), Lengthy refurbs at MK
2021 - Wishes replacement, new addition to MK, potential new World Showcase Country, potential small add to AK, The phase 3 which is not a phase 3 to DHS all to be complete (ha ha) by the 50th.

The discussion did say some of the 2021 may finish in late 2020? As always, a full, unpackaged salt lick is required with these rumored dates. Still, more detail than previously provided.
Wait nighttime parade at MK in 2017?

choco choco

I'm not sure I get your ultimate point, though. You want people sitting on the floor? The windows are so low already you have to hunch over a bit to see through them, standing up you couldn't see a thing.

Yeah, I kinda do. It'd be more like a middle eastern tent with a bunch of rugs and prop up pillows and shawl drapery and people have the luxury of lounging out or lying down and kids have the freedom to crawl around to different windows and play with some submarine props. Some adults could sit cross-legged and talk amongst themselves and everyone pretends like they're on some cross-ocean journey and the show scenes play with the idea that guests have freedom of movement throughout the entire sub and craft these scenes where you have to move from window to window spotting different things.

It's just something different. The conveyor belt mentality of Disney rides can get tiring, and this is the antithesis of the tuna-fish packed, everybody look straight ahead, minimalist interior of the current subs. And the faster cycling capacity makes up for the loss of not fully loading the boats.

Goofyernmost

Yeah, I kinda do. It'd be more like a middle eastern tent with a bunch of rugs and prop up pillows and shawl drapery and people have the luxury of lounging out or lying down and kids have the freedom to crawl around to different windows and play with some submarine props. Some adults could sit cross-legged and talk amongst themselves and everyone pretends like they're on some cross-ocean journey and the show scenes play with the idea that guests have freedom of movement throughout the entire sub and craft these scenes where you have to move from window to window spotting different things.

It's just something different. The conveyor belt mentality of Disney rides can get tiring, and this is the antithesis of the tuna-fish packed, everybody look straight ahead, minimalist interior of the current subs. And the faster cycling capacity makes up for the loss of not fully loading the boats.
One thing is very apparent... you have yet to witness someone of my age trying to get up from the floor. You think there are delays now... that would be almost comical. Maybe, time to try and think of a different approach to it. Perhaps leaving it the way it is until, the near future, when Disney sinks the whole thing and puts in a 7DMT in it's place.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom