Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Not sure if you can answer this but is anything of substance planned now for animation courtyard or echo lake. I know animation courtyard was originally for the "next phase" but now that it isn't happening it's going to feel rather barren there once launch bay closes
Not that I'm aware of. Yet. Murmurings about Indy long term and a Disney Jr refresh.

But I hope plans for the Animation area happen sooner than later. It'll need it.

mickEblu

Agreed. 1,900 riders per hour is not impressive, nor is it acceptable in theme parks that can get upwards of 50,000 or 60,000 customers per day quite easily. Building a massive and expensive new E Ticket that gets less than 2,500 riders per hour is operational failure. If that new E Ticket is based on Star Wars, it's masochistic.

WDI has no idea how to build rides for modern theme parks.

They were much better at their craft back in the 1960's and 1970's when the parks had half the daily attendance of today and WDI's new rides had huge hourly capacities between 2,300 (Haunted Mansion '69) or 2,600 (Double-Theater Country Bear Jamboree '72) or 2,800 (Pirates '67) or 3,000 (PeopleMover '67) or 3,500 (Carousel of Progress '67).

Back then the designers at WDI knew they needed to be good hosts to a park's paying customers. Today's Imagineers have no clue how to be a good host, and they think success is making superfans squeal at hazy artwork shown at D23 Expo.

Good points. One silver lining however, is that the Falcon attraction is rumored to have the taller height restriction so that would eliminate young children and possibly parents. With that said, I hope that the more family friendly Battle attraction is much higher capacity then The Falcon and helps compensate a bit.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Good points. One silver lining however, is that the Falcon attraction is rumored to have the taller height restriction so that would eliminate young children and possibly parents. With that said, I hope that the more family friendly Battle attraction is much higher capacity then The Falcon and helps compensate a bit.
If anything I could see the Falcon having a broader limit than the Battle. Seat belts vs lap bars.

PorterRedkey

The original SWL (that was laughed out of Glendale) was roughly a re skin around Echo Lake utilising the sound and superstar theatres and the Backlot restaurant.

Then the Indy plot came into the fold, and a variety of rides were looked at.

Then Indy and beyond as things got serious.

Now we have what we have.

A bike coaster was looked at for Avlands E. And then a raft ride.

Wow, an Avland raft ride would seem to be redundant considering Kali. I am all for the dark ride/simulator Star Wars attractions.

Magenta Panther

Not that I'm aware of. Yet. Murmurings about Indy long term and a Disney Jr refresh.

But I hope plans for the Animation area happen sooner than later. It'll need it.

I suppose it's a given that the plans won't involve Disney animation in any way shape or form? Since DHS is going to be an purchased-IP land, more or less?

mickEblu

I can't see either banning the demographic intended. Though you wouldn't want to take a baby or three year old on either anyway.

What's troubling is, if I understood your last post correctly, The falcon attraction with a capacity of only 1900 riders per hour is going to be the higher capacity attraction of both of the new E tickets?

Daveeeeed

What's troubling is, if I understood your last post correctly, The falcon attraction with a capacity of only 1900 riders per hour is going to be the higher capacity attraction of both of the new E tickets?
You have it mixed up. Falcon should be the lesser of the two on thrill, height requirement, scale, and capacity.

mickEblu

You have it mixed up. Falcon should be the lesser of the two on thrill, height requirement, scale, and capacity.

Broader limit as Marni says and you explain would mean children and families could ride together. Which means the capacity for this attraction should ideally be higher than the Battle attraction as it does not exclude very many guests. I was hoping with the capacity of "only" 1900 riders per hour that this would be lower capacity attraction of two SWL attractions. Previous rumors I heard indicated that the Falcon was to be the more thrilling attraction with the taller height requirement.

Daveeeeed

Broader limit as Marni says and you explain would mean children and families could ride together. Which means the capacity for this attraction should ideally be higher than the Battle attraction as it does not exclude very many guests. I was hoping with the capacity of "only" 1900 riders per hour that this would be lower capacity attraction of two SWL attractions. Previous rumors I heard indicated that the Falcon was to be the more thrilling attraction with the taller height requirement.
True in essence because they are both e's and one is open to more people, it technically needs more capacity, but it seems Battle Escape is sort of like a super headliner E, compared to a standard E. So 1,900 seems low, but look at Radiator Springs Racers... 350m dollars later and with a capacity lower than 1,900. I think it is more important for the ultra good ride to have a higher capacity.

mickEblu

I think it is more important for the ultra good ride to have a higher capacity.

That's a good point. Maybe this will be the first F ticket. Haha. But yeah, you have to assume that Disney has an idea of what the demand for these attractions will be based on scale, scope etc. So if the battle attraction is a super headliner that will have more demand than Falcon, regardless of the height restriction, it would make sense that it have higher capacity. With that said, in a family park like DHS / DL it seems like it would be far more logical to make the family ride the people eater.

Of course then there is also the fact that they may be sacrificing capacity for an innovative ride system/ experience which is OK in my book. It simply may not be possible to make the Falcon a people eater with the ride system they are choosing even though when you hear omnimover you assume high capacity. It's the "hybrid" part that is the X factor.

Orrrrrrrrrrr. Maybe this is a sign that Star Tours is sticking around as it offers a similar experience so the capacity does not need to be as high for Falcon. Reaching, I know.

Mike S

That's a good point. Maybe this will be the first F ticket. Haha. But yeah, you have to assume that Disney has an idea of what the demand for these attractions will be based on scale, scope etc. So if the battle attraction is a super headliner that will have more demand than Falcon, regardless of the height restriction, it would make sense that it have higher capacity. With that said, in a family park like DHS / DL it seems like it would be far more logical to make the family ride the people eater.

Of course then there is also the fact that they may be sacrificing capacity for an innovative ride system/ experience which is OK in my book. It simply may not be possible to make the Falcon a people eater with the ride system they are choosing even though when you hear omnimover you assume high capacity. It's the "hybrid" part that is the X factor.

Orrrrrrrrrrr. Maybe this is a sign that Star Tours is sticking around as it offers a similar experience so the capacity does not need to be as high for Falcon. Reaching, I know.
I think the Battle ride will be a "Super E" like how Shanghai Pirates is such a huge jump. At least that's the impression I'm getting.

Last edited:

yensidtlaw1969

I think the Battle ride will be a "Super E" like how Shanghai Pirates is such a huge jump. At least that's the impression in getting.

Speaking of Pirates -- do we know what the hourly capacity is like in Shanghai? For all the discussion around it I don't think we've covered that yet, though reports indicate that the lines never get too out of control despite being popular.

Variable

Yep.
Mission:Falcon may be my new name for it.

Probably one person steers, others fire lasers...something like that.
Wonder how many guests per pod...

The problem arises when people unknown to each other end up on a ride car where the major attraction is to do something on the ride but somebody doesn't get to do what they want to do. Within a family thus can be settled various ways. With strangers it becomes "too bad so sad sucks to be you pal my people come first"

What a magical experience for somebody eh?

mickEblu

I think the Battle ride will be a "Super E" like how Shanghai Pirates is such a huge jump. At least that's the impression in getting.

Here to hoping. The videos look amazing. What's the capacity like for Pirates in Shanghai? I'm assuming it's pretty good. Hopefully the Battle Attraction is a super headliner AND high capacity and not just the former.

HauntedMansionFLA

My hope is Star Tours is incorporated into the new land. I wouldn't mind riding ST, exiting the ride, walking down a themed corridor and enter SWL. It would help with capacity. But I know this is armchair wishes.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom