Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

No Name

Now, the other ride..

I'm now able to nail some points and firm up some rumour about the Falcon attraction.

Spaceport themed. Lots of themed queue and preshows / safety areas. Lots of nods to the interior of the ship from the movies. Queue will develop from spaceport to Falcon interior to cockpit.

Hybrid ride system that is part Omnimover and part simulator. Or more one on top of the other. It shouldn't be apparent it is an Omnimover hybrid. And it'll go round and round and round all day. A subtle nod to Journey into Imagination ;) Physical capsule for guests with a viewport to a large exterior screen, unlike Star Tours with its attached screen. A simple, effective and not cheap method is being employed to try and counter demand. Assuming a cycle time of 5 minutes it could have a THRC in the upper high teens. Longer cycle and it'll be more mid teens.

Thank you. Sounds interesting. Although I can see the general idea from your description, it's not easy to picture, which makes it even more intriguing. Can you say anything on whether it will use 3D (therefore requiring 3D glasses to be worn)?

And I was hoping for capacity in the upper high 20s. Maybe even the 30s. Upper high teens is fine but I don't think it's all that impressive. I hope the other ride has a higher capacity.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Thank you. Sounds interesting. Although I can see the general idea from your description, it's not easy to picture, which makes it even more intriguing. Can you say anything on whether it will use 3D (therefore requiring 3D glasses to be worn)?

And I was hoping for capacity in the upper high 20s. Maybe even the 30s. Upper high teens is fine but I don't think it's all that impressive. I hope the other ride has a higher capacity.
I don't know if it will be 3D. I'd hope not.

I do think the battle attraction will have a high capacity. It'll certainly need it. From what I've seen it shouldn't be too shabby, and again seems to have.... things.... to increase capacity.

clemmo

If there were to be a SWL phase 2 sometime in the future where would this go? Using Martins sketch (which is wonderful by the way) it looks as if there is room between SWL and TSL however I don't see a way that could work thematically. The only other expansion pad I can think of besides demoing Muppets is the berm being built.

TP2000

Agreed. 1,900 riders per hour is not impressive, nor is it acceptable in theme parks that can get upwards of 50,000 or 60,000 customers per day quite easily. Building a massive and expensive new E Ticket that gets less than 2,500 riders per hour is operational failure. If that new E Ticket is based on Star Wars, it's masochistic.

WDI has no idea how to build rides for modern theme parks.

They were much better at their craft back in the 1960's and 1970's when the parks had half the daily attendance of today and WDI's new rides had huge hourly capacities between 2,300 (Haunted Mansion '69) or 2,600 (Double-Theater Country Bear Jamboree '72) or 2,800 (Pirates '67) or 3,000 (PeopleMover '67) or 3,500 (Carousel of Progress '67).

Back then the designers at WDI knew they needed to be good hosts to a park's paying customers. Today's Imagineers have no clue how to be a good host, and they think success is making superfans squeal at hazy artwork shown at D23 Expo.

Last edited:

shortstop

Agreed. 1,900 riders per hour is not impressive, nor is it acceptable in theme parks that can get upwards of 50,000 or 60,000 customers per day quite easily. Building a massive and expensive new E Ticket that gets less than 2,500 riders per hour is operational failure. If that new E Ticket is based on Star Wars, it's masochistic.

WDI has no idea how to build rides for modern theme parks.

They were much better at their craft back in the 1960's and 1970's when the parks had half the daily attendance of today and WDI's new rides had huge hourly capacities between 2,300 (Haunted Mansion '69) or 2,600 (Double-Theater Country Bear Jamboree '72) or 2,800 (Pirates '67) or 3,000 (PeopleMover '67) or 3,500 (Carousel of Progress '67).

Back then the designers at WDI knew they needed to be good hosts to a park's paying customers. Today's Imagineers have no clue how to be a good host, and they think success is making superfans squeal at hazy artwork shown at D23 Expo.
I agree with this, but I also wouldn't want WDI to have to sacrifice ride quality for the sake of additional capacity. I know it's possible to have both, but still.

Mawg

I don't know if it will be 3D. I'd hope not.

I do think the battle attraction will have a high capacity. It'll certainly need it. From what I've seen it shouldn't be too shabby, and again seems to have.... things.... to increase capacity.
So it seems nothing high thrill, like a space mountain. But very family, all height friendly attractions for both?

sedati

Question for anyone who may be in the know- way back when a Star Wars Land was still in the early rumors phase the main attraction seemed to always be some kind of speeder bike coaster on Endor. Now that we've seen Tron at Shanghai, was this the type of ride system it would have used? Or was it something different?
On a side note, was this also the rumored ride system for Pandora's rumored third attraction?
Thanks

Bill Cipher

In the Parks
Yes
Now, the other ride..

I'm now able to nail some points and firm up some rumour about the Falcon attraction.

Spaceport themed. Lots of themed queue and preshows / safety areas. Lots of nods to the interior of the ship from the movies. Queue will develop from spaceport to Falcon interior to cockpit.

Hybrid ride system that is part Omnimover and part simulator. Or more one on top of the other. It shouldn't be apparent it is an Omnimover hybrid. And it'll go round and round and round all day. A subtle nod to Journey into Imagination ;) Physical capsule for guests with a viewport to a large exterior screen, unlike Star Tours with its attached screen. A simple, effective and not cheap method is being employed to try and counter demand. Assuming a cycle time of 5 minutes it could have a THRC in the upper high teens. Longer cycle and it'll be more mid teens.

Edit. For the sake of accuracy I'll add here it will go round and round and round almost all day.
Hey marni, in the Disneyland special on abc with Harrison Ford that revealed details about SWL, this quote appeared: "Imagine stepping aboard the Millennium Falcon and actually piloting the fastest ship in the galaxy! Banking right and left and firing the laser cannons! You are in complete control!" Care to elaborate on how this will work? I understand if you can't say anything.

Here is the video I am talking about. The quote appears at about 1:35

Last edited:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Hey marni, in the Disneyland special on abc with Harrison Ford that revealed details about SWL, this quote appeared: "Imagine stepping aboard the Millennium Falcon and actually piloting the fastest ship in the galaxy! Banking right and left and firing the laser cannons! You are in complete control!" Care to elaborate on how this will work? I understand if you can't say anything.
Same principle as Star Tours but a much smaller cabin.

Given groups will ride together I'd assume either a Mission Space style assignment for each, or there will be a fight to be pilot. Six people can't have a committee to steer left or right.

Bill Cipher

In the Parks
Yes
Same principle as Star Tours but a much smaller cabin.

Given groups will ride together I'd assume either a Mission Space style assignment for each, or there will be a fight to be pilot. Six people can't have a committee to steer left or right.
Neat, thanks!

Daveeeeed

Question for anyone who may be in the know- way back when a Star Wars Land was still in the early rumors phase the main attraction seemed to always be some kind of speeder bike coaster on Endor. Now that we've seen Tron at Shanghai, was this the type of ride system it would have used? Or was it something different?
On a side note, was this also the rumored ride system for Pandora's rumored third attraction?
Thanks
Haha I remember that. It's been so long since then wow. Wish I knew, but I don't, perhaps that was just an option for them way back when. Anyone know?

HauntedMansionFLA

Haha I remember that. It's been so long since then wow. Wish I knew, but I don't, perhaps that was just an option for them way back when. Anyone know?
July 7, 2014: On the July 7th, 2014 episode of the Mouse Chat podcast, Jim Hill discussed the plans for Star Wars at Disney's Hollywood Studios. He confirmed that it is abslutely happening with ground breaking taking place as early as January 2015. Re-iterating previous reports he had made, he said that an X-Wing themed spinner as well as a speederbike themed attraction that utilizes the CAVE technology are being considered. He also indicated that Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular has special events booked through 2017, and after the acquisition of the rights from Paramount, Disney is considering keeping the stunt show in it's current form.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Thanks

The original SWL (that was laughed out of Glendale) was roughly a re skin around Echo Lake utilising the sound and superstar theatres and the Backlot restaurant.

Then the Indy plot came into the fold, and a variety of rides were looked at.

Then Indy and beyond as things got serious.

Now we have what we have.

A bike coaster was looked at for Avlands E. And then a raft ride.

clemmo

The original SWL (that was laughed out of Glendale) was roughly a re skin around Echo Lake utilising the sound and superstar theatres and the Backlot restaurant.

Then the Indy plot came into the fold, and a variety of rides were looked at.

Then Indy and beyond as things got serious.

Now we have what we have.

A bike coaster was looked at for Avlands E. And then a raft ride.
Not sure if you can answer this but is anything of substance planned now for animation courtyard or echo lake. I know animation courtyard was originally for the "next phase" but now that it isn't happening it's going to feel rather barren there once launch bay closes

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom