Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

doctornick

As I understand it each vehicle will experience a similar, if not identical, story at key points in the ride. Some viewed individually, some as a group. The ride paths and kinetics should certainly feel like a team journey as opposed to riding in isolation. Twice in the attraction there should be individual experiences borne out of engineering nessecity as well as story.

Sounds awesome.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Reader for 15 years but not much of a poster.View attachment 150862 Take a look at the photo. Is Disney covering up a major piece of the land?
Found this online, it's not mine, but if it's right it suggests that the blurred out area is part of the queue and show building for the battle attraction.
image.jpeg

Soarin' Over Pgh

i could be totally wrong about this but i believe research shows very view people go to both coasts. and they probably save money with R and D

OH I'm sure it'll save them a ton on r and d, but think of the die hard Star Wars (nuts) fans ....like me, who wouldn't think twice of going to each coast for a new, different experience? Moot point, since it's the same on both coasts, but still feels like they could have grabbed just a bit more money from folks (hotel reservations, fine dining, and of course, theme park admission to name a few point$) if they invested just a little more to make each coast different.

Think like Pokemon ...gotta catch 'em all.

doctornick

I would have loved a little uniqueness for california and florida. Its never too late!

There will definitely be some "uniqueness" as the layout of the lands will be different. I'm sure there will be at least cosmetic differences between the lands -- some have mentioned that DL's will be "sunken" somewhat and have different levels of paths that WDW won't have. The main attractions will be the same, but they could easily have slight differences.

That said, I think it makes some sense to have the two lands be "identical" and spread out the R&D money to make the most impressive stuff possible. They can always tinker with differences in the future with any expansions.

Also, the two resorts are apparently getting different Guardians of the Galaxy rides, if that's any consolation.

Mike S

There will definitely be some "uniqueness" as the layout of the lands will be different. I'm sure there will be at least cosmetic differences between the lands -- some have mentioned that DL's will be "shunken" somewhat and have different levels of paths that WDW won't have. The main attractions will be the same, but they could easily have slight differences.

That said, I think it makes some sense to have the two lands be "identical" and spread out the R&D money to make the most impressive stuff possible. They can always tinker with differences in the future with any expansions.

Also, the two resorts are apparently getting different Guardians of the Galaxy rides, if that's any consolation.
Not to mention Avatar and Cars Land.

Goofyernmost

I would have loved a little uniqueness for california and florida. Its never too late!
I always have to ask this question... Why? What difference does it make to the person that will only get to one park no matter what. Is there some special reward in heaven for the park with the most uniqueness?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I always have to ask this question... Why? What difference does it make to the person that will only get to one park no matter what. Is there some special reward in heaven for the park with the most uniqueness?
For the general public it doesn't matter. It matters for a small minority who are either Disney fanatics and visit both domestic parks regularly or who are Star Wars fanatics and would visit both coasts to see something unique related to Star Wars. For Disney it's a no brainer. The money saved on design, testing and parts make cloning the rides too lucrative to pass up. The cost of any future upgrades to the rides can also be split between coasts.

Siren

Reader for 15 years but not much of a poster.View attachment 150862 Take a look at the photo. Is Disney covering up a major piece of the land?
Wow! Welcome to forums *again*! It's so funny welcoming someone who has been a member here for over *15* years. Like, you should be welcoming me. LOL. Anyway, this is an amazing comeback post, so better late than never!

star-wars-land_full_28385-jpg.150862

Yes, it does look like Disney is covering up something. And, Disney did the same thing in Disneyland Shanghai too, with Toy Story Land. So it is certainly possible. We'll see.

Siren

Harry Potter is a *huge* IP -- it has had a bigger draw to its theme parks than anything Disney has ever put out. So, HP in California should have been a huge success but it just wasn't. And, that's because people have already seen it before. Which is why I am slightly concerned. With an IP that's so rich in content and an even bigger draw than Harry Potter, why take the risk with cloning? That's all.

I'm still very excited about Star Wars land at DHS, though! Regardless, it will be a huge success for Disney.

Daveeeeed

Harry Potter is a *huge* IP -- it has had a bigger draw to its theme parks than anything Disney has ever put out. So, HP in California should have been a huge success but it just wasn't. And, that's because people have already seen it before. Which is why I am slightly concerned. With an IP that's so rich in content and an even bigger draw than Harry Potter, why take the risk with cloning? That's all.

I'm still very excited about Star Wars land at DHS, though! Regardless, it will be a huge success for Disney.
I went to Hogsmeade & Diagon Alley in Orlando for this first time this year. Haven't been to Cars Land though as airfare is too expensive to travel that far mainly for one land. Ofcourse some people still go, but unless you have a reason the majority doesn't. I have a friend that went because his mom was on a business trip in May, and a cousin who went last ear for a science fair as he got second for Alabama, so I think having them both cloned works fine unless you have a special occasion, but then it may end up causing you a trip to WDW if you go to California. So I think having clones works perfectly fine as long as there are some originals. Like The California Screamin' or Spaceship Earth.

No Name

I see I'm a bit late to the party.

Not to quote anyone in particular, but just remember that publicly released concept art is supposed to evoke an emotion or feeling. It's not an accurate, to-scale rendering of the land. If you fly a plane over Disneyland and take a picture from that same exact spot once SWL is completed, I can guarantee you that what you'd see will look very different from that art.

I'd say the biggest difference is that you'd see show buildings. There's no reason to be concerned over the size of show buildings from this because most concept art intentionally doesn't show (or deemphasizes) them. In fact, since there are no real noticeable differences from both pieces of concept art, and we can't see inside of the buildings, I'd say it gives us nothing to worry about. Unlike TSL's newer art.

I just hope that most things we're unable to see haven't been (and won't be) cut.

Daveeeeed

I see I'm a bit late to the party.

Not to quote anyone in particular, but just remember that publicly released concept art is supposed to evoke an emotion or feeling. It's not an accurate, to-scale rendering of the land. If you fly a plane over Disneyland and take a picture from that same exact spot once SWL is completed, I can guarantee you that what you'd see will look very different from that art.

I'd say the biggest difference is that you'd see show buildings. There's no reason to be concerned over the size of show buildings from this because most concept art intentionally doesn't show (or deemphasizes) them. In fact, since there are no real noticeable differences from both pieces of concept art, and we can't see inside of the buildings, I'd say it gives us nothing to worry about. Unlike TSL's newer art.

I just hope that most things we're unable to see haven't been (and won't be) cut.
Look at Pandora. It has survived the wrath of Iger;)

disneyKaiju

I get the business side of things and all that, I also get that some people will never venture far from their "disney-coast", but for us die hard fans that do visit the many disney parks, its just fun! To me its cool to to go to disneyland and ride on space mountain and then comeback to florida and ride the same ride and get a different experience. Whether big or small I wouldnt mind a some sort of uniqueness

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member

Jon81uk

Hi @SleepEatDisney! Oh wow, the boats totally set the tone before guests even arrive at Star Wars land --those Star Wars boat vessels will be an experience in itself. That's so not fair, the Disneyland fans don't even want Star Wars there. LOL.

There is no way I can hold this against Disney. They will just have to utilize the land at DHS as best they can. I guess.

The boats have nothing to do with Star Wars Land. DisneyLAND had boats on the Rivers of America before Star Wars Land construction started. Next year once they have reduced the size of the Rivers of America some of the boats will start running again. Star Wars Land will open much later and the boats and train will not drop guests into Star Wars Land.

There is completely different concept artwork on the walls at DHS that shows the edge of Toy Story Land.

Mike S

Based on revenue HP west actually has been a success. Attendance? You have to take into account that Universal made a drastic move before HP opened to avoid a mad rush of local APs: they skyrocketed the price of an AP almost forcing people to instead go for one day tickets. They nipped the problem in the bud before it got as bad as it is at Disneyland. I'm not saying I agree with it but that's what they did.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom