Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

doctornick

Hardly its how to bring a world to life its like saying to film makers that there is no difference in shooting on 35mm, 70mm and Imax each one of those gives a different feel to the overall world the film makers choose to deliver. Same is true for ride systems.

I think you're agreeing with me, no? My point is that a particular ride system isn't necessarily "better" than other -- different ones have different strengths and benefits. It's silly IMHO to praise or condemn a ride simply on the basis of the ride system when it's the execution that matters. Often, for a specific experience, a certain ride system might work best and it might not be the latest and greatest invention that is ideal.

Disneyhead'71

Like this?
image-jpg.64451
Looks like a rethemed Diagon Alley.

Kman101

I think you're agreeing with me, no? My point is that a particular ride system isn't necessarily "better" than other -- different ones have different strengths and benefits. It's silly IMHO to praise or condemn a ride simply on the basis of the ride system when it's the execution that matters. Often, for a specific experience, a certain ride system might work best and it might not be the latest and greatest invention that is ideal.

I completely agree with you. But on the other hand, I think many just want to see Disney come up with a ride system that's impressive and wows us like the park down the street has. That's probably why some harp on the ride system and complain about, say Iron Man just being a clone of Star Tours. But in that same vein, no one cares that Pirates and Small World are boats, Dinosaur and Indy are vehicles, Mansion and Mermaid are omnimovers ... I want a great experience and if it means something we've used before, so be it. I'm not going to dismiss it just because it isn't some newfangled fancy ride system.

Brian Swan

Is it just me, or does the layout of that look scarily similar to the layout of Diagon?
Definitely some similarities, but I think there is only so much you can do with a "courtyard" land; you have buildings on either side, and a "standout" architectural centerpiece to draw people in and serve as the "icon" for the land. WDW, in general, does not have many "courtyard" lands, and where they do (a number of the countries in WS), they use a similar technique.

AEfx

I completely agree with you. But on the other hand, I think many just want to see Disney come up with a ride system that's impressive and wows us like the park down the street has. That's probably why some harp on the ride system and complain about, say Iron Man just being a clone of Star Tours. But in that same vein, no one cares that Pirates and Small World are boats, Dinosaur and Indy are vehicles, Mansion and Mermaid are omnimovers ... I want a great experience and if it means something we've used before, so be it. I'm not going to dismiss it just because it isn't some newfangled fancy ride system.

That's my thing - I'm not against new ride systems, but on the other hand, I think there is too much emphasis spent on making unique special snowflakes.

I think 7DMT is a good example - with the amount of money spent on R&D for the "sway" feature, they could have likely afforded several additional show scenes instead. I would gladly give that novelty feature up for some more actual meat to the attraction.

It's almost criminal to me that they didn't do more with the EMV system, for another example. As you point out, no one complains that POTC and IASW are both boat rides with similar vehicles.

Kman101

That's my thing - I'm not against new ride systems, but on the other hand, I think there is too much emphasis spent on making unique special snowflakes.

I think 7DMT is a good example - with the amount of money spent on R&D for the "sway" feature, they could have likely afforded several additional show scenes instead. I would gladly give that novelty feature up for some more actual meat to the attraction.

It's almost criminal to me that they didn't do more with the EMV system, for another example. As you point out, no one complains that POTC and IASW are both boat rides with similar vehicles.

Agreed. I would happily accept a fancy new ride system, but it doesn't mean the ride's going to suck because it's using an old style.

Good point about 7DMT ride. The sway's cute and kind of fun if you are in the right spot and it works, but it's not that noticable and time and money could have been spent on another show scene (I cling to the witch with a boulder scene, LOL). I mean, would that not work amazingly well as you creep up and then plummet down as you think she's dropping a boulder on you? This ride is the epitome of what I call them giving us as bare bones of an experience that they can pass off.

I don't think they've probably even scratched the surface of what they can do with the EMV vehicle. Now, I can understand if people get annoyed because they clone Indiana Jones ride in Disneyland for DHS and it's the same system and SAME exact ride, instead of say giving us an entirely new experience inside the attraction but using the same vehicle, know what I mean?. That's a complaint I understand.

I also sort of get the Iron Man/Star Tours example, but the ride itself is at least a new experience, even if it is *just* a simulator. It's also a ride that will only exist in Hong Kong as *their* Star Tours. They of course could have come up with something different but that's a whole other essay LOL

Kman101

How about, as a replacement for Star Tours they use The Muppets, but instead of Pigs In Space, they do "Muppets Star Wars". Sort of like Muppets Christmas Carol and Muppets Treasure Island, but Star Wars. Kermit is Han, Ms. Piggy is Liea, Sweetums is Chewie, Fozzy is an Ewok, Justin Bieber is Luke.

LOL.

Too bad they didn't start earlier on Star Wars Land because by 2017/2018 they could have already replaced Star Tours with Guardians of the Galaxy (I just don't see another franchise being able to replace Star Tours in DHS and Tomorrowland besides this one, but I'm sure WDI will prove me wrong, be it good or bad) instead of trying to force it where it doesn't belong.

Next Big Thing

IPs that would work as a Star Tours retheme:

GotG
BH6
Wall.E
Muppets
Zootopia
Wreck It Ralph
Frozen
I don't even see any of those as something that will happen. I still don't understand why you kepp suggesting Zootopia for it. The IP that goes in here will likely be shared with DL and Zootopia not only doesn't fit TL, but doesn't the ST ride system.

Incredibles is the most likely to replace it imo.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom