Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Phroobar

In all seriousness, Star Wars Land at Disneyland started 3 months ago. Star Wars Land construction at DHS started about only a few days ago. So don't be surprised. They're just getting started.
Yet they closed down a whole bunch of stuff a year in advance. A couple of things got demoed months ago and then nothing. It's like the workers are on strike.

BrianLo

No I ascribe DHS as the most mishandled park perhaps even more so than Epcot....from what it was to what it is to what it will be. If the Epcot change to be all characters is like the tide coming in, DHS/MGM is like a flash flood.

The only way DHS is to last and get an identity is if it expands well outside of its current pen.

?... Not sure if I didn't get my point across, but we said the same thing.

It's still a mess after this round of expansion. The only way it will be a worthwhile park is if they do a worthwhile phase 3.

SirLink

It's still a mess after this round of expansion. The only way it will be a worthwhile park is if they do a worthwhile phase 3.

It'll still be a mess after a phase 3 and it won't be enough. The park needs to expand well passed its current boundary's to be successful in the long term. Whilst building into the parking lot is good, the park should be expanding well past Star Tours going to the wetlands and beyond.

If all they do is a phase 3 which adds a new land, refreshing the stale 4 shows: Idol/Sing, BATB, Voyage, Playhouse. Then in 10 years they will be going through the same hunt for an identity.

doctornick

Still, I'm surprised that Disney wouldn't push to get open DHS's first since its pretty much their Cars Land. The savior of the park if you will. Meanwhile at DL, its a decision that has been met with some controversy for a number of reasons including the fact that it will further increase crowd levels in an already full day + park.

That's the irony -- DHS (and WDW more generally) could use the hype of the grand opening more and as a resort can accommodate the crowds better. Do they really want to stress out DL's infrastructure more by having the grand opening of Star Wars there which is almost certain to generate a "HP in Uni" type crowd?

Donaldfan1934

That's the irony -- DHS (and WDW more generally) could use the hype of the grand opening more and as a resort can accommodate the crowds better. Do they really want to stress out DL's infrastructure more by having the grand opening of Star Wars there which is almost certain to generate a "HP in Uni" type crowd?
Indeed, if they were to televise or stream the DHS opening, it would be beyond huge for that park. I also solemnly agree with you on your Disneyland insight. Not only will it be a major departure for Walt's park in theme and tone, but it will completely break it from an operational standpoint.

JohnWD

Gosh, that seems rather critical. It won't be a worthwhile park for who? For Disney? Missed profit opportunity? For most visitors? Just a half day park? For Disney insiders? Not true to Walt? How DHS rates against other parks? Would it have been somehow better to just close it?

SirLink

Gosh, that seems rather critical. It won't be a worthwhile park for who? For Disney? Missed profit opportunity? For most visitors? Just a half day park? For Disney insiders? Not true to Walt? How DHS rates against other parks? Would it have been somehow better to just close it?

Anyone who gives a damn about themed entertainment, worthwhile maybe a subjective word, a vibrant park is what the company needs, two new lands adding a net total of 2 attractions is a stagnant park my friend.

RSoxNo1

New bus terminal at the MK.
New ferry terminal.
Monorail upgrades.
Road interchanges upgraded.
Road widenings.
Numerous guest accommodation additions/upgrades.
Massive reimagining of DTD to Disney Springs.
Upgrades to bus system.
Interchange and parking garages added to DS area.
Upgrades to retaining walls along waterways.
Dockwork for water transportation systems.
Upgrades to the parks to handle increased crowds such as eateries and restrooms.
Expansion and upgrades to fuel stations.
And whatever else I am forgetting.
You missed the two most significant ones... new hub at MK and expanded walkways in Discovery Island of DAK.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom