Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Next Big Thing

Please mark me down as firmly, firmly under the belief that Star Tours 2.0 is not going anywhere in either Disneyland or DHS (although DHS will likely get a plussed exterior). If someone has actually heard insider information to counter this I am willing to be swayed, but until that time I think people are treating this like a Small World moving to Epcot type speculation. Disney is not axing a popular and recently re-done attraction for the sake of slightly strange theming continuity. That's not how Disney generally operates.

Star Tours takes place in a Space Port, this new land is a very specific planet, there is no requirement for them to be located right next to each other.

I will eat my hat if Disneyland's Star Tours is re-themed to Ironman, hold me to it.
Why do you think such slim chances of Iron Man taking over in DL? It would literally just be switching out a film, doing some work on the cabins and the effects, and the ride could run fine. Obviously the queue and everything would need to be rethemed, but the point is, if there is already a Star Wars area, why keep ST when they can replace an out of place ride very cheaply?

Quinnmac000

its concept art...very impressive and creative and amazing concept art but doesn't mean the end product will look like that masterpiece gem. If they were breaking ground and we could see all those spots then sure I would be overly hyped but I'm being cautious especially with statements like Artist Concept Only on the promo information.

jt04

its concept art...very impressive and creative and amazing concept art but doesn't mean the end product will look like that masterpiece gem. If they were breaking ground and we could see all those spots then sure I would be overly hyped but I'm being cautious especially with statements like Artist Concept Only on the promo information.

Disney's future is founded on Star Wars at this point. They will not cheap out on this. Just as they did not for Carsland and Pandora and are seeing amazing results. New management.

mikeymouse

I know for a fact I'm a part of the minority here that doesn't like star wars..but, yep I'm THAT guy:rolleyes: I knew it was probably coming and as of right now; I'm not ecstatic but I will go into this with an open mind especially with looking at the concept art..

ditto. When I think about Pandora and Star Wars, ... YAWN. I just have no interest whatsoever. I've tried to get into it, but I'm a Disney nerd, not a sci-fi nerd. Toy Story area sounds ok, but it appears to be Universal-ish.

ToTBellHop

ditto. When I think about Pandora and Star Wars, ... YAWN. I just have no interest whatsoever. I've tried to get into it, but I'm a Disney nerd, not a sci-fi nerd. Toy Story area sounds ok, but it appears to be Universal-ish.
If neither Pandora, nor Star Wars, nor Toy Story pleases you, the Walt Disney Co., in general, is not for you, let alone its theme parks.

HauntedMansionFLA

Yes' remember the original concept / artwork for New Fantasy Land? Didn't look like anything that we got at the end. Things can change.

Kman101

The only good ones.

Here's the thing about the upcoming SW movies: how do we know they'll be any better than the prequels? The main weakness of those were the utterly lackluster new characters. NONE of them were the equal of Luke Skywalker, much less Han Solo. The most memorable new character of those films was freaking horrible Jar Jar Binks.

Perhaps people are letting nostalgia get the better of them. I think the first new SW film will do very well - fueled by nostalgia alone. But if it's underwhelming as a film, then Iger will have built a whole new land based on a depleted franchise. Not even Marvel is a license to print money - as the recent Fantastic Four flop proved. Just sayin'.

It doesn't matter. Fans want to be in the Star Wars environment. Period. Yes the movies and characters have so much to do with the nostalgia and love for the franchise (ew I hate that word now) but a well themed land doesn't need any of that to succeed. We're getting a highly themed new land based on Star Wars. It doesn't *have* to be based on anything from the movies to be a success.

Kman101

Isn't there a Universal thread to talk about that park?

But ... but Uni is amazing and wonderful and does no wrong! It's just so great that we have to constantly compare the two. Look. I hate Disney's slow pace but it's time to get over the Potter swatter fanboi dreams. Uni's projects thrill me a bit more (well Star Wars now more than anything) but I'm not constantly going on about it in a Disney forum in some effort to start some competition war that doesn't exist the way fans want it to. Universal HAD to do what they're doing. Period.

Let's move on ... (not directed towards you of course, lol, I just happened to quote you)

Capsin4

Love all the people saying "Only Two rides". I forget, how many 'new' rides did Hogsmeade have? How about Diagon Alley? Due to that confundus charm, my memory is a bit fuzzy, but I think there was 1 new ride in each land with a new ride connecting the lands, so 3 total?
I forget how much those cost. I don't think it was billions.
Hopefully all the infrastructure sets the park up for much more expansion, but TSL, SWL and Avatar additions are pushing 3.5 billion for six rides. I get the immersive themes, but think of the capacity that could be added if there wasn't suddenly a focus on immersive, marquee attractions. I'm excited and it looks amazing, but the price of capacity is the tradeoff.

mikeymouse

If neither Pandora, nor Star Wars, nor Toy Story pleases you, the Walt Disney Co., in general, is not for you, let alone its theme parks.

Not sure who gave you permission to think but they should be slapped. I did not ask for such a rude comment. Avatar and Star Wars is science fiction and does not peak my interest. Toy Story I do like, but the new area planned sounds to me like a couple of amusement park style rides and not a Disney Attraction.

ToTBellHop

Not sure who gave you permission to think but they should be slapped. I did not ask for such a rude comment. Avatar and Star Wars is science fiction and does not peak my interest. Toy Story I do like, but the new area planned sounds to me like a couple of amusement park style rides and not a Disney Attraction.
Good luck finding enjoyment in Bob Iger's Walt Disney Co. which is entirely focused on Lucas, Marvel, and Pixar. I'm sorry if the truth offends you.

Kman101

Yeah the two Toy Story rides aren't exactly the immersive rides we all probably want instead but the park needs these things. They aren't my first choice but they serve a purpose. It could have been worse and it seems they've done a nice job with what it is.

I don't think you'd even need to be a fan of Avatar or Star Wars to enjoy these future lands. They look immersive and incredible. I wish Disney were pushing it a bit more with the ride concepts but it is what it is.

Mike S

Yeah the two Toy Story rides aren't exactly the immersive rides we all probably want instead but the park needs these things. They aren't my first choice but they serve a purpose. It could have been worse and it seems they've done a nice job with what it is.

I don't think you'd even need to be a fan of Avatar or Star Wars to enjoy these future lands. They look immersive and incredible. I wish Disney were pushing it a bit more with the ride concepts but it is what it is.
There could have been one more ride for TSL but I'm really liking that Slinky coaster. Looks like fun. Almost makes up for it in my book.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom