Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

SirLink

Another reason SWL should be up front.

This entire plan for the Studios has been obtuse - even if it was added to the front it would eventually get converted to another IP. The makeup of the land is making management on both coasts and Burbank question why have two rides that are similar in scope.

If it was added to the front of the park it may of lasted maybe 5-10 years.

I can tell you this though ... if by some miracle they have TSL ready to begin construction in May. Nothing will get done until they see what kind of hit it has on Parks and Resorts overall.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Honestly does every single discussion about a major project like SWL have to take place in this single thread, even after some important news about the possible location of the land have been given out? Wouldn't that at least make a new thread about the topic "SWL not where we expected it" or a similar headline necessary? This thread is already at page 236 by now!

Since we don't know anything for sure I prefer to have discussion of the topic in one thread instead of spread across multiple threads (not that it isn't already since there was a lot of SWL discussion in the TSL thread). Once construction actually starts then I think that warrants a new thread.

Herbie

This entire plan for the Studios has been obtuse - even if it was added to the front it would eventually get converted to another IP. The makeup of the land is making management on both coasts and Burbank question why have two rides that are similar in scope.

If it was added to the front of the park it may of lasted maybe 5-10 years.

I can tell you this though ... if by some miracle they have TSL ready to begin construction in May. Nothing will get done until they see what kind of hit it has on Parks and Resorts overall.

Maybe I'm reading this wrong... but Star Wars would've lasted only 5-10 years in the front of the park...?

On another note, any word on any change to the Little Mermaid or Beauty and the Beast during construction?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Please stop with the ST is leaving meme. That won't happen.
Honestly, like my post said, it was just speculation that if SW land is in the LMA area it makes no sense to keep Star Tours because they would be disconnected. I have no inside info, just commons sense and past history to go on. Plus others in the know are also saying this now too.
I have been thinking about this and it occurs to me that you had been hearing that SWL would go where Indy is and into the parking lot in which case hearing that Star Tours is staying makes sense. Have you been hearing the ST stays even if SWL is in the LMA area.
In the long run doubtful.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Magic of Animation was replaced with Star Wars Launch Bay, and American Idol was replaced with the Frozen Sing Along. I would bet that both of the replacement are soaking up more crowds then what they replaced.
Aren't those temporary. Once Frozen Norway is open I thought all parts of the Frozen summer thing would be gone from DHS. Obviously, Launch Bay will be gone once SW Land opens.

I never liked American Idol anyway so that's no big loss.

SirLink

Maybe I'm reading this wrong... but Star Wars would've lasted only 5-10 years in the front of the park...?

On another note, any word on any change to the Little Mermaid or Beauty and the Beast during construction?

Star Tours. Not Star Wars...

Well the plan was eventually to get BATB theatre enclosed as well as update the equipment overall show they could be more elaborate in park shows

jt04

Honestly, like my post said, it was just speculation that if SW land is in the LMA area it makes no sense to keep Star Tours because they would be disconnected. I have no inside info, just commons sense and past history to go on. Plus others in the know are also saying this now too.

Star Tours has become a beloved classic. And it is only feet away from SWL whichever area it is placed.

It makes no sense for it to be removed or rethemed. Reimagined however may be a different story.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Star Tours has become a beloved classic.
So is Tower of Terror...
And it is only feet away from SWL whichever area it is placed.

It makes no sense for it to be removed or rethemed. Reimagined however may be a different story.
If they didn't already announce the muppet area is staying with Mama Melrose and Pizza Planet being rethemed I would agree it could be tied in either way, but if it's in the LMA area there is no real practical way to make it work with Muppets in the way. Add to this the fact that the DL version is nowhere near SW Land and the 2 lands are supposed to be identical makes me fear it will be gone. An optimistic person might hope it gets rethemed to something from phase 3 that will go in that area, but it's just as likely that Star Tours and Indy show just get shuttered and are left as vacant buildings or special event venues. It's not like there isn't a historic precedent for doing this.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Star Tours has become a beloved classic. And it is only feet away from SWL whichever area it is placed.

Yes, people like ST, but it might people might not be as interested in when the two new rides open in SWL.

Mike S

So is Tower of Terror...

If they didn't already announce the muppet area is staying with Mama Melrose and Pizza Planet being rethemed I would agree it could be tied in either way, but if it's in the LMA area there is no real practical way to make it work with Muppets in the way. Add to this the fact that the DL version is nowhere near SW Land and the 2 lands are supposed to be identical makes me fear it will be gone. An optimistic person might hope it gets rethemed to something from phase 3 that will go in that area, but it's just as likely that Star Tours and Indy show just get shuttered and are left as vacant buildings or special event venues. It's not like there isn't a historic precedent for doing this.
There is a new rumor that GotG has been moved over to RnRC.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Aren't those temporary. Once Frozen Norway is open I thought all parts of the Frozen summer thing would be gone from DHS. Obviously, Launch Bay will be gone once SW Land opens.

I never liked American Idol anyway so that's no big loss.

I assume they are temporary but once they close they might get replaced with something else.

jt04

So is Tower of Terror...

Time will tell. Two points. I think WDW will have to deal with crowds DL will not. The expansions will be identical but that does not mean each SWL will be the same. WDW has an added benefit of having ST adjacent to SWL. I just can't fathom they won't take advantage of that.

ToT was never going to be gotg themed at WDW IMO. That was just a mean little meme started from incomplete info.

That said, I think ToT will get rethemed someday. Could be Pixar, Marvel, Disney Animation or live action. Just my opinion. But if I was an aspiring screenwriter I might consider an appropriate treatment.

PS- I guess that is more than two points. Heh.

doctornick

I hope they connect Start Tours to the new land, but the route around Muppets, with the current space available, looks like a terrible bottleneck. I hope they can increase the width of the choke point if this happens.

People have already pointed out why they wouldn't connect Star Tours to a SoA-based SWL from the "back" -- it would prevent backstage access to Pizza Planet/Mama Melrose which is kind of an issue for food service places.

More logical would be to that the Star Wars "street" replacing the current NY street. They can have some shops/restaurant off the side of it, where HISTK currently is (and possible a small cafe replacing/in the vicinity of Writer's shop). Would that passageway be a "choke point"? I don't think it would be anywhere as bad ever as when the Osbourne Lights were there. It's actually fairly wide for a guest path.

doctornick

I mean, it's nice to get all these upgrades to Animal Kingdom, but:
  1. DHS needed an expansion more.
  2. Epcot needed the money that went into Harambe and Rivers of Light (Sorry guys but it's true, even though one's been proven to be one of the best experiences in the country and the other seems to be just as good, even though it's delayed!)

Sorry, but DAK needed an expansion/improvement far more than Epcot does. And DHS is at least getting substantial investment, even if it is perhaps less than previous planned. Those two parks needed to be addressed and quickly (should have been years ago).

The additions to DAK are reasonable and needed. They may be costing too much due to WDI bloat, but that's a separate issue than the validity of the plans themselves.

doctornick

Ah! This seems like a much more logical 'why'.

If Animal Kingdom siphoned an extra 500 million, I definitely could see they would take it from the DHS redo pot. Probably a lot of the money that was scheduled to start being spent in October. :grumpy:

What I don't get is why cost overruns at WDW need to be taken out of WDW budgets -- but cost overruns or financial issues at other parks always seem to be "solved" but slashing stuff at WDW.

Can't the Pandora overruns cause something Paris to be slashed or something?

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom