Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

JustInTime

Two things:
  1. I see what everyone is talking about as far as SWL being placed directly next to TSL as opposed to Echo Lake/Indi based on the new construction wall image. However, considering the location of StarTours, wouldn't that essentially place Muppet Courtyard (something we believe to be surviving the reboot) on an awkward island of sorts? (The first post on this page offers an interesting explanation around this "Muppets on an Island" issue).
  2. The construction walls use the phrase "Adventure is Near." Could this be hinting at the reimagined parks branding/name? I know Disney's Florida Adventure has come up, however this name doesn't make sense to me as California Adventure has a California focus. I don't think they are planning a Florida-focused park, particularly considering Disney Springs reboot. But I do think they are hinting at adventure-something; perhaps Disney's Hollywood Adventure or Disney's Adventureland? Thoughts on new naming/branding, particularly given the construction wall signage?
Hollywood Adventure makes more sense to me. :)

psuchad

If the new land has an attraction where visitors pilot the Millennium Falcon, why does the park need a second rate space tour attraction as well? I say Star Tours is going to a landfill.

CJR

Yup. I have no idea what this would cost in modern times though.

A ride built for modern times? State of the art 2D cut outs (mostly, because it'd be a TDO budget version of the ride) and a nearly 30 year old ride system (especially if you count development). I'd say like $500 million will do.

orky8

If the new land has an attraction where visitors pilot the Millennium Falcon, why does the park need a second rate space tour attraction as well? I say Star Tours is going to a landfill.

Because that second rate space tour cycles a couple thousand guests and hour in a park desperate for attractions.

And could easily be rethemed to just about any IP (or no IP at all, not that Disney would do that, especially in this park).

NormC

Why not move Muppets to Drew Carey's Idol theater and let SWL take over that whole section? That would give them a Jedi training theater and some more space with dining options. Star Tours would be at the front of the land and the Muppets would not be an island. Sci-Fi could be Muppets themed as well. Pigs in Space.

Prototype82

Very interesting that Star Wars land isn't [seemingly] replacing Indy...(which makes me happy) Is there a chance they want this show to stick around because the film franchise is going to be continuing soon? I honestly can't see Disney putting money into a nearby indy ride budget. But if they new film does well...

Last edited:

roj2323

And what's wrong with pushing all this further back?

Everything behind Indy was always planned to move eventually.
Money.

The cost to move the buildings as well as the underlying infrastructure: water, sewer, communication lines including a sizable fiber optic line, high voltage electrical junctions among other things all go through that area and would be quite expensive to relocate. There's also the issue of relocating cast parking permanently while also creating more guest parking for the increased crowds the new lands will bring to the park. The thing is we know they are expanding the parking lot but from what I've seen that new parking is only enough to satisfy the new demand and not enough to also relocate cast parking without building a parking structure. The cost for moving all this stuff and creating a new parking garage in addition to a new cast services building would be somewhere in the neighborhood of a 100 million dollars which I don't think Disney is prepared to spend on non attractions that simply relocates existing infrastructure.

Last edited:

jt04

Very interesting that Star Wars land isn't [seemingly] replacing Indy...(which makes me happy) Is there a chance they want this show to stick around because the film franchise is going to be continuing soon? I honestly can't see Disney putting money into a nearby indy ride budget. But if they new film does well...

I think they realize they need the capacity desperately. However once toy story and star wars opens that will give them more options. My guess is that if Star Wars proves extremely popular then it will get an expansion at the expense of Indy.

BTW, there is no way star wars land would be possible at wdw if there was not also going to be a Pandora. Without Pandora the studios could not handle the crowds. New Soarin and frozen will also help.

doctornick

Bear in mind the water element was the pre existing Jungle Cruise.

For more info on the non water version google the proposed DLP version.

I'd be cool with even the "lesser" DLP plans for a combined attraction.

Honestly, if they used that expansion pad in MK as illustrated above, they could easily do the combined coaster/EMV rides and still have the railroad passing through the show building. Would be an awesome 50th anniversary build for MK if it were to happen.

Of course, there is no indication of that as a possibility, so it's just a dream. At least Indy is being talked about for DHS; if that IP does come in the way of a ride, I'd love it if it were something ambitious like the plans for Lost Expedition as opposed to just a simple clone of IJA.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Money.

The cost to move the buildings as well as the underlying infrastructure: water, sewer, communication lines including a sizable fiber optic line, high voltage electrical junctions among other things all go through that area and would be quite expensive to relocate..
As you no doubt know everything there was designed to be moved. It's actually an expansion pad.

That's why the buildings for example aren't exactly substantial permenant structures.

It would be nothing compared to for example what DL is doing right now.

jt04

Why not move Muppets to Drew Carey's Idol theater and let SWL take over that whole section? That would give them a Jedi training theater and some more space with dining options. Star Tours would be at the front of the land and the Muppets would not be an island. Sci-Fi could be Muppets themed as well. Pigs in Space.

Not a bad long term solution.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom