Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Jones14

Okay, so this is all my personal speculation at this point, but based on what Martin just posted, this is what I think will happen:

1) Toy Story goes behind Midway Mania, where it's always been rumored to go.

2) Star Wars Land goes into SOA. Faster turnaround time with less collateral damage (Indy Stunt Show and Backlot Express, essentially) than going into Echo Lake.

3) Star Tours stays where it is, remains in the 3-4 timeline and eventually (after the main land is complete) removes Episode 7 and beyond references. There's still plenty to draw from without them (Rogue One, anyone?) and this gives them the ability to keep the classic characters (such as Vader) "alive" in one section of the park. This is what Uni did for Potter, and it works for them, so why not? This also saves them a whole lot of money because they don't have to relocate or rebuild Star Tours into the new land.

4) Animation, Echo Lake, and parking overhauls happen, if they all happen. Parking can be fixed over time (starting soon? There are options depending on how much of a priority this is for them), and Phases 3/4, if they happen, will affect the park much less with the two new lands supporting the park.

Again, just an educated guess on my part.

doctornick

Great point! I love the thought of multi-level lands that creates a multitude of sightlines and viewing angles. That is something that Disney should do more of quite frankly. With everyone walking around on the same plane, all you get are views of what is above you. Now, imagine if Star Wars contained multiple levels with the ability to walk through structures on some thoroughfare located above the main ground-level walkways. How incredible would that be. And then add one or two spots that might be even higher, like a restaurant located well above the ground, with a waiting area balcony that gave you a view from 70'.

That is one of the redeeming qualities of Tomorrowland in MK. Admittedly, it is my least favorite lands in all of MK, but when riding the people mover, I love how you are elevated above everyone, slowly snaking your way around and through other structures. And even there, there is one higher level location in the Astro Orbiter. Really hoping that Star Wars Land possesses this type of design philosophy, even if it only is with walkways. It doesn't need to be rides to create the same concept.

Absolutely. There's a great value in having vertical integration of elements to provide kinetics and depth. DL shows some of this as well with the Monorail/subs as well as Casey Jr and the canal boats.

Star Wars is tailor made for such a concept and the artwork does suggest it is being considered, but I'm afraid that it might only be utilized in California where the type of land enables them to "bury" things -- DHS would have to be entirely built upwards.

doctornick

Star Wars Land would not require the entire backlot. If they wanted to build the 3rd attraction there and at DL, there would be space available back there without hurting Kermie.

Agreed. If the SoA/LMA area is used for Star Wars, there's plenty of room to built it while still leaving space for both backstage support and expansion areas. The plans that Miceage put out for SW in DL showed an undeveloped "expansion pad" to the side of what is being planned -- no reason DHS couldn't have something similar.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
so what happens with Star Tours... won't it be out of place? Could it be on the chopping block after SWland opens for expansion of other things there?

ToTBellHop

so what happens with Star Tours... won't it be out of place or am I turned around?
It would but there are possibilities if you "island" Muppet Courtyard. Although I would bet Sci Fi would need to leave to make such a plan work. Otherwise the walkway that would link Star Tours to SWL would be too narrow to work.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Agreed. If the SoA/LMA area is used for Star Wars, there's plenty of room to built it while still leaving space for both backstage support and expansion areas. The plans that Miceage put out for SW in DL showed an undeveloped "expansion pad" to the side of what is being planned -- no reason DHS couldn't have something similar.

This is 14 acres. Depending on how far south TSL goes, that doesn't leave a lot of space.

Capture.JPG

ToTBellHop

This is 14 acres. Depending on how far south TSL goes, that doesn't leave a lot of space.

View attachment 137254
Catastrophe and a bit north of that would provide space.

But that requires Muppets to take off. If the franchise falters further, they could just bulldoze it in five years for a 3rd ride if they want. A modest retheme of two restaurants in no way guarantees that something will stay more than a few years.

ToTBellHop

it could mean thay just needed 20 feet of open wall to put this blasted huge sign on... and there are not walls up front yet... if you will look the poster that was there before was for star tours
It could be. But my gut says no. They are planning to clear an AWFUL lot of space at the back of the park in the next two months. An AWFUL lot.

More than they were planning six months ago.

kevlightyear

Ok, I'm having trouble following the logic here. (I admit I have not been keeping up with this thread.) It sounds like everyone thought SWL was going to be built in the Indy/Echo lake area, and toward the front/parking lot side of the park, if for no other reason than that was where the most obvious space was. Possibly because of proximity to Star Tours. But then it was announced that backlot tour, SOA, LMA, etc were closing presently. Why would they close that corner of the park if it was only to be used as a possible Phase 3? As soon as they announced those closures, that pretty much guarantees that it's for SWL. Otherwise, a full half of the park would be out of commission for years. Right? Am I missing something? I suppose it's possible they would close SOA et al just because access would be gone once TSL and SWL construction starts.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom