Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

G WDW

Oh I forgot to say, when I was at Epcot, there was a completely new innoventions pavilion focused on color and there was a large portion of the innoventions building closed off where construction was taking place. So hopefully Epcot is heading in the right direction. Now we just need to replace mission: Space :D. Sorry for going slightly off-topic, just thought some would want to know

G WDW

And what's up with this "new" TSL concept art? Where's it from? And does anyone have a picture of it I can see? (besides the corner that may or may not be SWL

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I recently was at WDW and this seems to line up perfectly with what a cast member told me. This CM was working in Watto's Grotto, (a Star Wars pop-up shop on the top of SOA and near LMA) and said that the store would be closing in the middle of April. HISTK playset is also closing mid-April, and WDW would not needlessly close down one of the few places in the park for younger kids without really needing to. Add onto that the shuttering of LMA, and something is obviously going on in the top part of the park. The CM said that SWL construction was starting "in the next month" (he said this at the end of March) and would be located around LMA and SOA. He also said that the Muppets would stay put, which is yet another thing that lines up with your map ^. He also said that there would be a full size Falcon (we all knew that already) but that there would also be a full-sized X-wing and a full-sized imperial shuttle (he claimed it would be the "real kind, where the wings go all the way up and almost touch, not like Kylo Ren's" whatever that means). Also, when I was there, a construction wall was put up bordering Cypress drive around Muppets and the back of SOA. I think Phineas and Ferb meet and greets and a coffe cart used to be there. Keep in mind that this SWL info is just what I heard from a CM and I do not claim to perfectly know what is happening, just thought I'd relay what I learned.

But having SWL in the top part of the park makes sense. As someone above said, WDI can repurpose the frames of SOA for the "street market" area we've seen in the concept area. Putting this fully immersive land (with seemingly high mountains surrounding it) probably wouldn't work great around the Echo Lake/parking lot area as it would probably be pretty out in the open. Also, the fact that there are so many closures in the LMA/SOA area really leads me to believe that that's where SWL is going to be.

I don't think this spells the doom for a "phase 3" though. They could still expand out in the echo lake/wetlands/parking lot area for something, or possibly go up to the backlot tour/catastrophe canyon area. Although I really hope they fix up Future world before they do a HS phase 3.

Backlot tour was suitable for youngsters and it was closed to a year and half ago.

jt04

I won't disagree. But he makes some good points and it makes sense. I would have preferred it in the front of the park with room for expansion but all signs have been pointing this way lately. Sadly I think that means no phase 3 either.

Not necessarily. Indy pad could be utilized with the plan later on.

roj2323

Ignoring all previous posts in this thread I just wanted to say my one HUGE hope for star wars land is that it's multi level.

I want places to explore and balconies where I can overlook the crowds and see the land in unique ways. I want to be able to walk around for hours like I have at wizarding world just taking in all the details and exploring the unique and detailed shops.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I agree but having worked in the park I see no way in which they would be pushing out into the parking lot as they would have to move a hell of a lot of infrastructure including costuming, a parade building, entertainment cast areas as well other things while simultaneously loosing off stage access to the front of the park..
And what's wrong with pushing all this further back?

Everything behind Indy was always planned to move eventually.

doctornick

And what's wrong with pushing all this further back?

Everything behind Indy was always planned to move eventually.

I hope that means that the backstage behind Indy and Backlot Express and into the parking lots will be used for park expansion regardless of where Star Wars goes. It's the smallest part at WDW with the poorest layout and guest flow -- additional space would be quite welcome, especially if it can expand on the limited number of attractions.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Well well...

image.jpeg

flyerjab

Ignoring all previous posts in this thread I just wanted to say my one HUGE hope for star wars land is that it's multi level.

I want places to explore and balconies where I can overlook the crowds and see the land in unique ways. I want to be able to walk around for hours like I have at wizarding world just taking in all the details and exploring the unique and detailed shops.

Great point! I love the thought of multi-level lands that creates a multitude of sightlines and viewing angles. That is something that Disney should do more of quite frankly. With everyone walking around on the same plane, all you get are views of what is above you. Now, imagine if Star Wars contained multiple levels with the ability to walk through structures on some thoroughfare located above the main ground-level walkways. How incredible would that be. And then add one or two spots that might be even higher, like a restaurant located well above the ground, with a waiting area balcony that gave you a view from 70'.

That is one of the redeeming qualities of Tomorrowland in MK. Admittedly, it is my least favorite lands in all of MK, but when riding the people mover, I love how you are elevated above everyone, slowly snaking your way around and through other structures. And even there, there is one higher level location in the Astro Orbiter. Really hoping that Star Wars Land possesses this type of design philosophy, even if it only is with walkways. It doesn't need to be rides to create the same concept.

cindy_k

I hope that means that the backstage behind Indy and Backlot Express and into the parking lots will be used for park expansion regardless of where Star Wars goes. It's the smallest part at WDW with the poorest layout and guest flow -- additional space would be quite welcome, especially if it can expand on the limited number of attractions.

If only they could think of someway to fix the parking lot flow. Its the scariest park to drive in and out of.:eek: I always think I am going to be run over by a bus crossing the exit road.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom