Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

flavious27

So when the (cough) is the new area opening? Is that a trade secret?

Well avaland is suppose to be what 2017 now, I would say 2018 or 2019. Depends on where they are putting it. If they are going to be ripping out existing attractions, it is going to take longer. With the permits for a new entrance near pop / aa, they hopefully are expanding out towards the canal. It will take less time to build on that new land, unless there is an issue with the soil.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Just found this - A rep for the company told BuzzFeed News that the current plan is to break ground on Disneyland’s Star Wars land by the end of 2017. That land will reside where the Big Thunder Ranch is currently located within Disneyland, as well as some areas within the park that are currently off limits to the public. The Disney rep did not, however, have a time table for the Orlando version of Star Wars land.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/adambvary/star-wars-theme-parks#.vjRXkXnXW

Capsin4

14 acres = 10.5875 American football fields According to google. I am horrible with distances and measurements and the such... but... i suppose that's a decent size. My brother will be thrilled.
It's roughly 750 ft x 750 ft....or roughly the whole area SE of Hollywood Blvd from Prime Time to GMR and on around to Star Tours. Including the buildings for Prime Time, Indy and the old Idol theater.

AdventureHasAName

Afraid I might be opening a Pandora's box of everyone's own 14 acre screen grab, but figured this would be an interesting link for those wondering how big 14 acres is. Search for a location then you can click on points on the map to create a shape and it will show you how big that area is. The first person who posted the map with the lake, AI building, Indy and Star Tours was actually very close to 14 acres. I'll definitely be curious to see where they put this land.

http://www.daftlogic.com/projects-google-maps-area-calculator-tool.htm

As far as the screenshots they posted, I assumed it was more of maybe scenes you'd see inside the rides, not of the land itself. Do we really think they'd build those cliffs in the background in that first picture?

At DHS, if you take the land that currently comprises Indiana Jones, Backlot Express and Star Tours plus 1/4 of the parking lot behind them, you get to 14 acres.

Evolution

Just found this - A rep for the company told BuzzFeed News that the current plan is to break ground on Disneyland’s Star Wars land by the end of 2017. That land will reside where the Big Thunder Ranch is currently located within Disneyland, as well as some areas within the park that are currently off limits to the public. The Disney rep did not, however, have a time table for the Orlando version of Star Wars land.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/adambvary/star-wars-theme-parks#.vjRXkXnXW

2017? Is there a reason for such a long wait?

And I thought it would be connected to Tomorrowland. Hmm...

worldfanatic

The additions are obviously huge for Hollywood Studios.
But for me, the subtraction is also pivitol. The subtraction of all that meaningless space being unused (or used sadly) for so long.
I've hated going into Hollywood Studios in recent years, knowing what an empty shell I'm walking through.

It'll take a few years, probably longer. But we'll finally be back to where this Gate can't be skipped without regret on a WDW vacation.

AEfx

Also, while uniqueness is always good, it's probably good that this land is going in both US parks. Our Orlando one can't be cheaped out on, as it'll probably be identical in both.

If anything, I am betting that DHS gets a "grander" version - the rides will likely be nearly identical but the exterior will likely be more impressive at WDW. Even at roughly the same size, it will likely feel "bigger" at WDW, like everything else does because they aren't going to have nearly as many sight restrictions, etc.

psherman42

If anything, I am betting that DHS gets a "grander" version - the rides will likely be nearly identical but the exterior will likely be more impressive at WDW. Even at roughly the same size, it will likely feel "bigger" at WDW, like everything else does because they aren't going to have nearly as many sight restrictions, etc.
I was wondering the same thing about whether the lands on both coasts would be the same. I hope you're right that the one at DHS will be grander. Everyone knows it needs it.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I would say more immersive in addition to impressive?

AEfx

I dont think we currently have any details beyond the press release.
Star Wars themed land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

My "educated guess" on the planet thing is that this will be a location mentioned in the new film, but not actually shown. Think Ord Mantell, Anchorhead, etc.

It makes the most sense on several levels -

* it makes you feel like it's an "expansion" of the films,

* they aren't tied in to replicating anything specifically so they have more options for development

* it will be easier just for continuity/timeline reasons to have a unique location that major characters are brought to, as opposed to visiting them on their "home worlds".

Now, this is a far-off, crazy fan thought - but it would be funny if it did end up in a future Star Wars film some day, some segment actually filmed there...they could actually call the Studios the Studios with more of a straight face then. ;)

AEfx

I would say more immersive in addition to impressive?

Actually, more "immersive" is probably the better word than what I used. The fact that they are both going to be of equal size means they will probably be very similar, but I think the difference will be that they can make the Orlando version as high as they want and will likely be visible from outside the park, or nearly anywhere in it, vs some of the issues they face in California.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom