Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

AEfx

I'm intrigued by all of the shops and restaurants being run by locals. It will be neat to see whether this is just normal CM costumes or plussed versions.

I think you'll find a few "key" CM's who are "creatures" with more complex outfits (say, a greeter at a restaurant, think Dex from Dex's diner), and that there will be other CM's in more complex make-up (Twi'lek, Rodian perhaps, etc.). Basically, I think they are saying that there will be aliens among us. :)

AEfx

Sploosh.

Fantastic news and some very nice concept art!

Reading previous posts and some of the previous rumors on other threads my question is this....How can they include the Cantina that we all want for the signature restaurant with the land being an entirely new planet? That would be a little strange to have it on a new planet (i'd be ok with it because I want the Cantina to be built) but it wouldn't exactly fit the new planet theme.

Cantina confirmation as well….JOY!

I believe they said "Cantina-ish" - the Cantina on Mos Eisley was just one. Cantina generally = "bar" in Star Wars. One could even consider Jabba's Throne room as a sort of "Cantina" - it was in Star Wars Galaxies, the MMORPG.

I'm glad for this - although I know the Mos Eisley Cantina has some real vintage cred points for folks, in truth - a replica would be really boring. There isn't much to the location, at all. It's just the patrons that made it interesting.

AEfx

Only 2 attractions?!?! Was hoping for more...

Here's what I don't understand ... they say it's going to be the "largest land at Disneyland" (which pretty much means it's going to be the biggest area at DHS, too) ... how is it possible that they build it with only two rides? I mean New Orleans Square is the smallest land at Disneyland and it has two rides. It doesn't make any sense.

Understandably, you guys are going by the "traditional" definition of "attractions" that has been the norm for the past decade or two. Like, counting meet and greets or restaurants as attractions. There are two new rides coming, in addition to shopping, restaurants, and presumably a healthy dose of Meet and Greets.

They are being smart by using a more accurate definition as they are - keeping expectations in check and not making 2-rides into a half-dozen "attractions" by including those other things.

AEfx

I really hope so.

I've heard solid news about the other way too. But we both know DHS plans have been like liquid over the last five years ;)

If it really does take a chunk of the parking lot like that, does that mean that the backlot stuff/etc. that won't be used as part of Toy Story Land will go back to backstage, or how would that potentially work?

Atomicmickey

My "educated guess" on the planet thing is that this will be a location mentioned in the new film, but not actually shown. Think Ord Mantell, Anchorhead, etc.

It makes the most sense on several levels -

* it makes you feel like it's an "expansion" of the films,

* they aren't tied in to replicating anything specifically so they have more options for development

* it will be easier just for continuity/timeline reasons to have a unique location that major characters are brought to, as opposed to visiting them on their "home worlds".

Now, this is a far-off, crazy fan thought - but it would be funny if it did end up in a future Star Wars film some day, some segment actually filmed there...they could actually call the Studios the Studios with more of a straight face then. ;)

Agreed that this is a great approach. I spent a lot of armchair imagineering moments trying to figure
out how they could mash Tatooine next to Coruscant, etc. and make it cohesive. Couldn't crack it.

To make a unique planet, that captures the design aesthetic and feel of Star Wars is, I think, a
brilliant solution. It needn't ever appear in the films. Seeing the art, you think "yeah, that's Star Wars."
The buildings evoke Tatooine a bit, a bit of . . . now I'm losing it because it's prequel stuff, but Padme's
planet, and the place where Obi-Wan rode the lizard thing. LOL, prequels, bah! Anyway--it's recognizable.

Plus they can keep their amazing rockwork crew cranking away. Plus it solves some sightline issues
so that you can be fully immersed in Star Wars. PLUS adds greenery which Tatooine didn't have.

Win, win, win. Applause for whoever came up with the idea. My opinion, of course.

Atomicmickey

Understandably, you guys are going by the "traditional" definition of "attractions" that has been the norm for the past decade or two. Like, counting meet and greets or restaurants as attractions. There are two new rides coming, in addition to shopping, restaurants, and presumably a healthy dose of Meet and Greets.

They are being smart by using a more accurate definition as they are - keeping expectations in check and not making 2-rides into a half-dozen "attractions" by including those other things.

One approach that Disney is taking, and it worked for Cars Land, is to make the area itself an explorable, interactive attraction. So much to look at, see, and do, that you can spend hours there--NOT standing in a line, and enjoying the experience. The land itself is an extra E-ticket. This is obviously what they're doing with Avatar, and now with Star Wars. Magic Bands, whatever our opinion of them, will add an extra level of personal interactivity. I think this all started with the Kim Possible thing at Epcot. With my family--we spent hours, essentially just wandering around Epcot, having fun, and it required a minimum of infrastructure changes. Not an E-ticket in the traditional sense--but think about that, we were experiencing an attraction--continuously--for hours, without ever standing in a line. I think this is deliberate strategy on their part, and we'll need to realign our thinking so we're not going 'oh, only 2 rides?'

Of course, this is coming from a guy who does the animal trails, or the paths around the Tree of Life in AK and thinks they are great attractions, so your mileage may vary.

AEfx

Agreed that this is a great approach. I spent a lot of armchair imagineering moments trying to figure
out how they could mash Tatooine next to Coruscant, etc. and make it cohesive. Couldn't crack it.

To make a unique planet, that captures the design aesthetic and feel of Star Wars is, I think, a
brilliant solution. It needn't ever appear in the films. Seeing the art, you think "yeah, that's Star Wars."
The buildings evoke Tatooine a bit, a bit of . . . now I'm losing it because it's prequel stuff, but Padme's
planet, and the place where Obi-Wan rode the lizard thing. LOL, prequels, bah! Anyway--it's recognizable.

Plus they can keep their amazing rockwork crew cranking away. Plus it solves some sightline issues
so that you can be fully immersed in Star Wars. PLUS adds greenery which Tatooine didn't have.

Win, win, win. Applause for whoever came up with the idea. My opinion, of course.

Precisely - that's why I think it was such a smart decision. It is also going to prevent a lot of continuity issues in the future, and just generally be easier to work with for Imagineering.

I also like that it's a bit more realistic - as you point out, there is some Tatooine architecture there, some Naboo, some greenery...which is what happens when these things float around naturally (I live in New England yet there are Georgian Colonials, for example).

The only thing missing in that art for me is some water - they need some water features. DHS is just so landlocked that it feels terribly missing there already, and if Echo Lake gets on the chopping block, they really are gonna need it.

SwooshOU

One approach that Disney is taking, and it worked for Cars Land, is to make the area itself an explorable, interactive attraction. So much to look at, see, and do, that you can spend hours there--NOT standing in a line, and enjoying the experience. The land itself is an extra E-ticket. This is obviously what they're doing with Avatar, and now with Star Wars. Magic Bands, whatever our opinion of them, will add an extra level of personal interactivity. I think this all started with the Kim Possible thing at Epcot. With my family--we spent hours, essentially just wandering around Epcot, having fun, and it required a minimum of infrastructure changes. Not an E-ticket in the traditional sense--but think about that, we were experiencing an attraction--continuously--for hours, without ever standing in a line. I think this is deliberate strategy on their part, and we'll need to realign our thinking so we're not going 'oh, only 2 rides?'

Of course, this is coming from a guy who does the animal trails, or the paths around the Tree of Life in AK and thinks they are great attractions, so your mileage may vary.

I was gonna type out something like this. But, you did it! Thanks. Could not agree more!

AEfx

Echo Lake is gorgeous! I am completely smitten with the architecture on all sides!

I'm fine with getting rid of it if it's replaced with another water feature somehow, because one unfortunate thing the Studios replicate rather well about "real studios" is the endless pavement and landlocked feel. But if not, I hope it stays just because it's all the studios has otherwise.

The Empress Lilly

I am a bit disappointed in 'yet more rocks'.

Tomorrowland redo? Rocks
Mermaid ride? Rocks
BatB restaurant? Rocks
Snow kiddie coaster? Rocks
Tangled bathroom? Rocks
Star Wars? Rocks

Rocks rocks rocks....

It also makes the parks blur into each other, losing their clear separate identities. Their unique, sophisticated looks reworked into 'some IP ride hidden behind rocks'.

BrerJon

The only thing missing in that art for me is some water - they need some water features. DHS is just so landlocked that it feels terribly missing there already, and if Echo Lake gets on the chopping block, they really are gonna need it.

The art with the Falcon flying in has a nice bit of water running in the lower right, it wouldn't surprise me if that's a modified Echo Lake.

DonaldDoleWhip

I am a bit disappointed in 'yet more rocks'.

Tomorrowland redo? Rocks
Mermaid ride? Rocks
BatB restaurant? Rocks
Snow kiddie coaster? Rocks
Tangled bathroom? Rocks
Star Wars? Rocks

Rocks rocks rocks....

It also makes the parks blur into each other, losing their clear separate identities. Their unique, sophisticated looks reworked into 'some IP ride hidden behind rocks'.
I agree, especially coming on the heels of New Fantasyland (which has a lot more rocks than I ever could've imagined for a forest-inspired land of fairy tales).

Still, a well-built land with rockwork is better than a cheaper alternative without rocks. Fortunately, we'll be getting both. :D

kap91

Precisely - that's why I think it was such a smart decision. It is also going to prevent a lot of continuity issues in the future, and just generally be easier to work with for Imagineering.

I also like that it's a bit more realistic - as you point out, there is some Tatooine architecture there, some Naboo, some greenery...which is what happens when these things float around naturally (I live in New England yet there are Georgian Colonials, for example).

I also love that the approach they're taking (along with the same approach Avatar is getting) enables it to still be an original story...not just a recreation of a location taken verbatim.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom