Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

KingOfEpicocity

What maps have you seen? Permits seem to indicate Mama Melrose will get a refurb and not be torn down.

This map suggests what will be removed. but the permits dont lie
IMG_7974.JPG

Daveeeeed

The permit for the Pizza Planet refurb covers the entire building all the way around to Mama Melrose.
COuld they be prepping it to be torn down? Just because something is being refurbished doesn't mean they are upgrading it. They could be testing crowds throughout the park without it. How are they going to connect Star Wars land and Star Tours? If Muppets doesn't get a completly new film, or a new ride, almost universally people wouldn't care as the current show is very dated, and severely lacking.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
COuld they be prepping it to be torn down? Just because something is being refurbished doesn't mean they are upgrading it. They could be testing crowds throughout the park without it. How are they going to connect Star Wars land and Star Tours? If Muppets doesn't get a completly new film, or a new ride, almost universally people wouldn't care as the current show is very dated, and severely lacking.

It is possible, but based on the contractor I would assume it's getting a refurb. The prevailing rumor is that SWL is still going in the Echo Lake area so it would be right next to Star Tours. If both Pizza Planet and Mama Melrose are being refurbed than that adds credence to SWL going in the Echo Lake area since it would take out at least one if not more restaurants. Also, leaving Pizza Planet and Muppets and taking down Mama Melrose, doesn't really buy them much.

KingOfEpicocity

It is possible, but based on the contractor I would assume it's getting a refurb. The prevailing rumor is that SWL is still going in the Echo Lake area so it would be right next to Star Tours. If both Pizza Planet and Mama Melrose are being refurbed than that adds credence to SWL going in the Echo Lake area since it would take out at least one if not more restaurants. Also, leaving Pizza Planet and Muppets and taking down Mama Melrose, doesn't really buy them much.

This rumor is logical and all, but if this is true, what is the fate of SOA? i know theres rumors of "staging areas" but it seems like too much real estate to not be a major expansion. and if it is part of a "phase 3", why is it all being closed BEFORE the echo lake/SWL area?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
This rumor is logical and all, but if this is true, what is the fate of SOA? i know theres rumors of "staging areas" but it seems like too much real estate to not be a major expansion. and if it is part of a "phase 3", why is it all being closed BEFORE the echo lake/SWL area?

SOA really doesn't take up that much space, it's mostly facades over other attractions. As to why close it, we could also ask why they closed the backlot tour so long before they did anything back there? The clues don't all fit together at this point, there are things that both do and do not make sense for SWL in either location. It's going to be interesting to see how it all plays out.

KingOfEpicocity

SOA really doesn't take up that much space, it's mostly facades over other attractions. As to why close it, we could also ask why they closed the backlot tour so long before they did anything back there? The clues don't all fit together at this point, there are things that both do and do not make sense for SWL in either location. It's going to be interesting to see how it all plays out.

Well a good majority of the backlot area is where TSL is going, so that makes sense. but with SOA, and i guess i should say the rest of the backlot as well, it seems like theyre emptying that area of any attractions, which just leaves it wide open to be demo'd. all thats left in SOA/backlot is LMA, which is rumored to leave as well if i recall correctly. I haven't heard of anything around echo lake being demo'd, and i honestly hope it wont. it seems like they're doing more work to that area. its a really puzzling situation, and i agree it will be interesting to see what happens in the end.

Daveeeeed

I assume the reason was the need not to run it yet plus that they expected to start about 6 months earlier. There's gotta be something more, but from the information we have those are the most logical reasons.

Daveeeeed

Well a good majority of the backlot area is where TSL is going, so that makes sense. but with SOA, and i guess i should say the rest of the backlot as well, it seems like theyre emptying that area of any attractions, which just leaves it wide open to be demo'd. all thats left in SOA/backlot is LMA, which is rumored to leave as well if i recall correctly. I haven't heard of anything around echo lake being demo'd, and i honestly hope it wont. it seems like they're doing more work to that area. its a really puzzling situation, and i agree it will be interesting to see what happens in the end.
So many top contributors of information contradict each other it is hard to truly say something for sure unless with permits, and beyond reasonable doubt, or if something seems logical. The backlot tour, plus lma, plus soa take up a near third of the park if I am not mistaking. If toy story land goes opposite to the current entrance of the ride that would make the most sense. TSL could also be where the bulk of the backlot tour was was plus a bit of lma we don't know for sure, but what is for sure happening is that toy story land and star wars land are coming, and star wars land will logically be next to star tours. What could happen is it could be inside the land, but most of the land goes where soa, and part of the parking lot is/was. If phase 3 is still happening there is no reason in the world for them to keep muppetvision. That attraction is dated, has relatively low capacity, and even in busy times never exceeds 20 minutes from when I'm there. It would be just odd to have star wars land 270 degrees around it. Things just don't add up. I think it will go, but it is just a matter of when to announce it just like probably indy. I personally don't think it is worth over debating, because in the end as much as I would like to have phase 3 even if they just have swl & tsl the park will be gold. Here's hoping Monsters Inc will come, and if we're lucky a mini land for muppets featuring maybe a 5 minute ride into one of their movie sets for a production. Monsters Inc. wouldn't be an expensive land it would just have a huge eticket if they were to use the inverted 'door' coaster. the land could be mostly indoors when you enter 'Monsters Inc. you are in a full scale replica of the lobby, and the exterior looks edentical. Maybe monsters. Inc laugh floor or something comparable gets relocated inside plus the inverted coaster plus a restaraunt. the out side could be a curved walkway in the city of monstropolis, and it kind of leads you to monsters inc. In a way like soa just more in the form of cars land, but smaller as the main attraction would be monsters inc. Monsters University would be cool. The campus would be a big large, but the exterior of the scare area with something in it could be cool, but wouldn't be a big loss without it. Hollywood Studios is the only park that I have zero problem with them theming an entire land too, because of it's movie theme. Avatar will work for animal kingdom, because it will focus on Pandora, and not so much the movie, but otherwise I would love to have it themed properly to fit in a park like in tokyo disney sea, but Hollywood Studios, along with california adventure have that special ability.

Daveeeeed

I think the layout could make sense if the wrap it behind Star Tours, but I meant they take down all three. The point of the contractor is a strong one, but could it be just for the kitchen? It is very expensive to connect a building plus rockwork etc. to a rather large inexpensive pre existing one. In the long run it would be a much wiser move to just rid of it entirely, but knowing Disney they look short term many times, but I think this time may be different. They looked long term for Soarin'. They didn't connect the third theater, instead they built it away to make it cheaper. They figure they don't need a fourth, because they are going to add a great ride between now and a year after all of this hollywood studios stuff is done. It is inevitable, and they know it.

Daveeeeed

If star wars goes in echo lake, and toy story land will go behind TSMM. What will go in lma, and soa? Backstage areas that large seem to be excessive even for a project this massive, and while I am sure they're going to use it well, I don't know if they need to close three attractions for that unless something is going on top of it immediately after the bulk of the work is done. The big stuff. Either toy story land, or star wars land is going in that area, or it'll be used for phase 3 after the work for the backstage use is complete. And if the latter is true Why would they leave muppets in place with all this mind bogglingly incredible lands surrounding it? While muppetvision is a poor, relatively low capacity, dated attraction? It falls under the journey into imagination with figment dilemma. We love figment, but wouldn't we love anything even if it means getting rid of figment from the park if the ride is incredible? Muppets has sadly dwindled in popularity, maybe a muppets mini land at a different area of the park would help resurrect the franchise to its former glory. I sure hope it does, and I would love a new attraction based on the muppets.Just a thought.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

Yes, some of the backlot will become TSL, but that still doesn't explain it's closure. The line of reasoning is that SWL must be going in the LMA area since they are closing everything back there, but they closed the backlot tour almost a year and a half ago so it clearly wasn't closed because they needed to start construction on TSL. So closing of other stuff back there doesn't logically have to lead to SWL be built there.

Daveeeeed

Yes, some of the backlot will become TSL, but that still doesn't explain it's closure. The line of reasoning is that SWL must be going in the LMA area since they are closing everything back there, but they closed the backlot tour almost a year and a half ago so it clearly wasn't closed because they needed to start construction on TSL. So closing of other stuff back there doesn't logically have to lead to SWL be built there.
It's expected for tsl to open late 2017, or early 2018 correct? That would mean if it goes where blt is going it would not be a prep area/construction area for both land lands because they would have to construct it. So much contradiction is not good even for the most reliable rumors. What'll go in the backstage area behind tsmm then? Phase 3? WOuld muppetvision just be a dead end, or how would it transition from that to star wars land, or tsl? Really confused.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
If star wars goes in echo lake, and toy story land will go behind TSMM. What will go in lma, and soa? Backstage areas that large seem to be excessive even for a project this massive, and while I am sure they're going to use it well, I don't know if they need to close three attractions for that unless something is going on top of it immediately after the bulk of the work is done. The big stuff. Either toy story land, or star wars land is going in that area, or it'll be used for phase 3 after the work for the backstage use is complete. And if the latter is true Why would they leave muppets in place with all this mind bogglingly incredible lands surrounding it? While muppetvision is a poor, relatively low capacity, dated attraction? It falls under the journey into imagination with figment dilemma. We love figment, but wouldn't we love anything even if it means getting rid of figment from the park if the ride is incredible? Muppets has sadly dwindled in popularity, maybe a muppets mini land at a different area of the park would help resurrect the franchise to its former glory. I sure hope it does, and I would love a new attraction based on the muppets.Just a thought.

TSL is definitely going behind TSMM down towards the water tower, permits have confirmed this. Muppets may be staying in place because they need it for capacity until the other work is done. It's very possible that it will not stay there long term. SWL could very well be going in the LMA are now, but there is still enough doubt that I can't rule out either location.

Daveeeeed

TSL is definitely going behind TSMM down towards the water tower, permits have confirmed this. Muppets may be staying in place because they need it for capacity until the other work is done. It's very possible that it will not stay there long term. SWL could very well be going in the LMA are now, but there is still enough doubt that I can't rule out either location.
That's probably what will happen. The longer Muppetvision is in the park the better, but if it alters their plans for swl & tsl that is where I Would be upset. It'll probably be removed for star wars land, but they'll keep it as long as possible, and if not then if there is a phase three for sure it goes. Thanks for the reply! Really helped me piece this together.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom