Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Marc Davis Fan

Studied the concept art and SWL will have levels. Very very cool. My expectations have gone up.

What do you mean by "levels"? Areas to walk that are physically above/below other areas? I can't find that. Which concept art do you see that in? Could it be part of a queue, maybe?

jt04

What do you mean by "levels"? Areas to walk that are physically above/below other areas? I can't find that. Which concept art do you see that in? Could it be part of a queue, maybe?

Look closely at the art Steve posted on the home page. One seems to show an area below grade. Sort of utilidor-ish level.

OldBlueEyes

On a completely unrelated note - do you know if DHS Star Wars Land will have an elevated walkway/second level? Or is that a DL feature mostly.
Well, to me it looks like it. At least if there's any "truth" in this concept pic:
Star-Wars-Land_Full_26861cr.jpg

OBE

OldBlueEyes

Yup, that's in part what I was referring to, but that specific concept photo is 100% representative of the Disneyland MiceAge map.

Is it also representative of DHS though? That's harder to tell.
That is of course true. I took it for granted that this (coming from the film) would be for both SWLs.
But then again, there is also the first concept, which have this:
Disneys-Hollywood-Studios_Full_25048cr.jpg

Anyways, let's continue this conversation in a year or 2 ;)
OBE

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
That's how I see it, too. Remember when West Side was supposed to get that upper level on the train tracks?
Was that ever actually a thing? I always thought it was just a misunderstanding/misinterpretation by fans.

All of the concept art I saw pretty clearly showed what looked small abandoned sections of elevated rail. I never once thought that I could go up there.

Was there something released prior that implied access?

bhg469

I can't think of any recent additions that didn't have covered queues in Orlando. I'm just making a guess here but if that is a queue, it is Anaheim and not orlando.

tk924

To me, it looks like they would be part of either the queue for the ride, or maybe the exit path. I wouldn't bet that there will be an entire second elevation in the land to walk around. Just doesn't seem feasible.

Don't forget they'll have you exiting through a store post ride. Not that I mind. I love Tatooine Traders. It's the one store I take my time walking through. Here's hoping for an Imperial themed store somewhere in the Land!
Also, this is "concept art". I mean, do we really expect what they build to look like these drawings?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Don't forget they'll have you exiting through a store post ride. Not that I mind. I love Tatooine Traders. It's the one store I take my time walking through. Here's hoping for an Imperial themed store somewhere in the Land!
Also, this is "concept art". I mean, do we really expect what they build to look like these drawings?

It depends on when they were created.

If they are post architectural plans they will be very close to reality.

If they are pre-architectural there will most likely be some differences, but they will still be pretty close.

If they were just blue-sky drawings (doubtful considering the level of detail) then all bets are off.

tk924

If they are pre-architectural there will most likely be some differences, but they will still be pretty close.

If they were just blue-sky drawings (doubtful considering the level of detail) then all bets are off.

I thought some of the art they showed had already been revealed making me think that all of these drawings had been completed, maybe just held back for something like the 60th anniversary show? Just curious.
I'm just glad we'll be getting a lot more of a SW presence in the park.

jt04

Exactly right Mr Yoda. But I believe this is one of the quality improvements being implemented at Disney. More and more the concept art is representative off what is on the way. An idealized look but accurate as to what to expect.

Monoblanco13

Sorry, I'm ignoring the meltdown going on to just have a side conversation here.

Rumours of Carsland circulated December 2006 with unofficial concept art released by Disney in an imagineering book.
The first rumours of Harry Potter seem to occur around January 2006 (although clearly both Disney and Universal would have been well aware of that development).
Harry Potter was announced May 31, 2007
Cars Land was announced October 17, 2007
Harry Potter may have had some backstage prep in January 2008, but it's hard to nail down
The Flying Unicorn, Enchanted Oak Tavern and Dragon's Keep Closed July 7, 2008

So to recap:
-Carsland came to fruition fairly independently at the same time as Potter.
-Disney is lumbering and takes forever, that's why it took so damn long and everyone thinks Potter was 'first', it was only just the first to actually be built.
-Pandora on the other hand was Definitely a knee jerk reaction to the huge crowds Potter had been bringing it, both Uni and Disney were shocked, no doubts about that.
-Star Wars will have very much learned from it's three most important predecessors: Hogsmead, Carsland and Diagon. We can mostly thank Carsland and Diagon in particular that made the BOD say "no, you need to do this right from the start. This needs to be the best yet".
-But, Carsland was in no way a result of Harry Potter, despite what people seem to think with their fuzzy memories.

Any of this speculation? I would love to think Disney has learned from prior mistakes, unfortunately many insiders say differently.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom