Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Ignohippo

Are you certain the water ride was tied to Star Wars versus a potential phase 3 offering?

No, not at all. I'm even of the belief he was referring to Avatar and not SW land. That's why I thought it was laughable.

If it was for SWland, I don't believe it was ever a serious contender. As I said, it was never mentioned to me. Nothing. Nada.

Ignohippo

They were talking about it in the other thread. From what I understand there was no real knowledge on if there was a third attraction or Micechat was just saying it. I could have misunderstood Spirit though.

Yeah, I don't know where MiceChat got that. I think they were just running with the miscommunication from last week.

Ignohippo

@Ignohippo - DL is going to have a major berm with both the train trestles, a rather long winding hike from critter country, rock tunnels on the big thunder trail etc. With how much they are hiding the land in DL and really focusing on that Cars Land like reveal from Pacific Pier - what have you heard about DHS? Or could another big difference be in the land just being 'there'?

Disneys-Hollywood-Studios_Full_25048%20MU_zpsmmoi1cyh.jpg

They are counting on the huge rock formations and trees to serve as the transition, much like the castle walls at MK for the New Fantasyland.

I believe much of it will be hidden by that last shop on the left as you go up the street.

The picture attached is exactly what it will look like if you look at SW land from the hub. They may take off a portion of the Frozen building to set it back a bit more, but that's basically your view.

*I mistakenly marked the building on the right as Sounds Dangerous. I believe that's the Frozen Theater. As I said earlier, the rock formation on the left is actually in the foreground and the new attraction will be behind it (where Indy is now).
[EDIT: no, I was right in the first place. Sounds Dangerous is marked correctly and the Frozen theater is in front of it on the art.

From the DL map, it would seem Echo Lake would remain at DHS too since there's basically a body of water in the same place at both parks.

One thing I think people need to remember, DHS is not Disneyland. It is not some sacred park that is viewed as a church by many. I'm sure sightlines, etc. are considered, but they aren't going to spend an extra $100 million to make a better transition.

Last edited:

Cesar R M

They are counting on the huge rock formations and trees to serve as the transition, much like the castle walls at MK for the New Fantasyland.

I believe much of it will be hidden by that last shop on the left as you go up the street.

The picture attached is exactly what it will look like if you look at SW land from the hub. They may take off a portion of the Frozen building to set it back a bit more, but that's basically your view.

*I mistakenly marked the building on the right as Sounds Dangerous. I believe that's the Frozen Theater. As I said earlier, the rock formation on the left is actually in the foreground and the new attraction will be behind it (where Indy is now).
[EDIT: no, I was right in the first place. Sounds Dangerous is marked correctly and the Frozen theater is in front of it on the art.

From the DL map, it would seem Echo Lake would remain at DHS too since there's basically a body of water in the same place at both parks.

One thing I think people need to remember, DHS is not Disneyland. It is not some sacred park that is viewed as a church by many. I'm sure sightlines, etc. are considered, but they aren't going to spend an extra $100 million to make a better transition.
I only have one request.. that Admiral Akbar appears at random intervals from a window in one of the buildings during a Darth Vader appearance show.. and says ITS A TRAP!!! :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Ignohippo

I only have one request.. that Admiral Akbar appears at random intervals from a window in one of the buildings during a Darth Vader appearance show.. and says ITS A TRAP!!! :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

I wonder how many people yell that every hour when they see him in the window at Star Tours. I'll bet it'd be an insane number!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member

Which lines up with what I've heard from numerous places. Not on the lake. Not on Prime Time.

SWL begins at Indy. If not even further back.

But again it's all still a bit vague.

Last edited:

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Any chance the delay for Episode VIII (and presumably IX) is causing the "fluid" changes to all of the plans in an attempt to have the land open at the time of one of the films?

I see this idea come up a lot of opening a movie near the time that a major ride/land/attraction opens, but I just don't think there would be enough benefit from this to make it worth while trying to coordinate the opening. Yes, you can get some marketing value out of it, but not enough to try to tie together the end dates of two very complex projects.

ToTBellHop

I see this idea come up a lot of opening a movie near the time that a major ride/land/attraction opens, but I just don't think there would be enough benefit from this to make it worth while trying to coordinate the opening. Yes, you can get some marketing value out of it, but not enough to try to tie together the end dates of two very complex projects.
Yes. I think it's more likely that, like Ep. 7, the timescale that Iger wanted for Ep. 8 was too ambitious so the director asked for (and received) more time. It would seem they are setting a pattern of now having Star Wars films release in December, not May. I doubt it has anything to do with the theme park lands. I can't imagine a movie director cares very much about that.

doctornick

If anyone has brought this up forgive me.

It seems like a transportation system for the land was cut by Bob Chapek. According to the MiceChat article:

"The third attraction in Star Wars land, an internal transportation system of sorts, was cut from the budget recently after Chapek demanded cost savings. WDI was sent scrambling to find a way to put it back into the project as it was designed to bring kinetic energy to the sprawling land much like the Red Car Trolley brings energy to Buena Vista Street, but Chapek won’t budge on his budget mandates and something else will need to be cut in order for the third attraction to survive."

Has anyone else heard about this attraction? I know it was not mentioned at D23. Does this mean it is cut for DHS too?

@marni1971, @Lee, @articos do you have any info about this?

I wonder if this is the Phase 2.5 (which @marni1971 mentioned) that might be added to DHS for Star Wars.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I wonder if this is the Phase 2.5 (which @marni1971 mentioned) that might be added to DHS for Star Wars.
I believe all this boat ride talk was from a mention of Shanghai Pirates taken out of context.

Phase 2.5 is still up in the air. Nothing confirmed yet but the success of the reboot has made them stop and think.

It could also depend on what's being built elsewhere in WDW at the time (I know it shouldn't but unless Bob gets his new house in order it quite possibly would)

doctornick

I believe all this boat ride talk was from a mention of Shanghai Pirates taken out of context.

Phase 2.5 is still up in the air. Nothing confirmed yet but the success of the reboot has made them stop and think.

It could also depend on what's being built elsewhere in WDW at the time (I know it shouldn't but unless Bob gets his new house in order it quite possibly would)

I was thinking not the boat ride, but the "internal transportation" to add a "kinetic element" to the Star Wars area. I would like to have something like that, especially if it were at a different height (always love what the Peoplemover and Astro Orbiter bring to TL in that regard)

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I was thinking not the boat ride, but the "internal transportation" to add a "kinetic element" to the Star Wars area. I would like to have something like that, especially if it were at a different height (always love what the Peoplemover and Astro Orbiter bring to TL in that regard)
Aha.

I've not heard any specifics about any third attraction. Either cut or planned.

ctrlaltdel

Yes. I think it's more likely that, like Ep. 7, the timescale that Iger wanted for Ep. 8 was too ambitious so the director asked for (and received) more time. It would seem they are setting a pattern of now having Star Wars films release in December, not May. I doubt it has anything to do with the theme park lands. I can't imagine a movie director cares very much about that.
I believe that was part of it, however the main reason Disney pushed SW8 back was likely to take advantage of the holiday season like TFA did. The film is going through a minor rewrite/script polish (which is typical) so filming was pushed back a few weeks into February.

PorterRedkey

I am hoping the "internal transport" mentioned in the MiceChat article stays in the DHS version. Maybe it was only cut in DL, because they want to open so early. If the DHS version is to open a year or two later (according to WDW1974) than the DL version, maybe they will be able to keep it part of the plan.
I love Star Wars and I especially love the Peoplemover. A combination of the two would be great!

WildcatDen

No, not at all. I'm even of the belief he was referring to Avatar and not SW land. That's why I thought it was laughable.

If it was for SWland, I don't believe it was ever a serious contender. As I said, it was never mentioned to me. Nothing. Nada.
My source has never been definitive. It was mentioned that a water ride was in the plans for DHS. So, I guess that could be Star Wars phase 2.5, DHS phase 3 or I guess the "hinted at may never happen" phase 4?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom