• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

999th Happy Haunt

@WDW Pro - I’ve seen your follow up essentially confirming our suspicions. However, I’ve got two big words to throw cold water on the idea of putting Han Solo in the MF ride: Harrison. Ford.

It’s like pulling teeth to get him to do anything SW related. I doubt he’ll grant WDI the rights to his likeness (unlike jolly fanboy Mark Hamill). They could go with Alden... but that’s not gonna happen.

There’s nothing wrong with the Chewie and Hondo show as is. Hondo is popular with the Clone Wars generation and I’ll put money down that he shows up in live action in the Filonivers at some time. The ride just needs some new missions.
Did they have to get Ford’s permission for Indiana Jones at Disneyland? That’s definitely not his voice in the attraction.

britain

Did they have to get Ford’s permission for Indiana Jones at Disneyland? That’s definitely not his voice in the attraction.
There’s kind of a wacky story behind that. He gave permission for his Indy likeness, and was going to do the voiceover for the attraction too, on the condition that he would not have to do any commercials.

Well someone at Imagineering didn’t know that detail. Right before they were going to start the attraction audio recording session, they handed Ford the script for the Super Bowl halftime show which promoted the new ride. Ford said something along the lines of, “I said I wasn’t doing that stuff” and left.

Surferboy567

According to the latest episode of Disney Dish. Expect to see a lot of characters associated with the recently announced Star Wars Disney + shows in 2021 going into 2022. Incorporated as walk around characters for Galaxy’s Edge.

Also expect, a slight dialing back of the timeline. Specifically mentioned a Mando and Grogu meet and greet as well as Boba Fett and Ashoka Tano.

They also mentioned the rumors of the Falcon getting new missions. It was said to not expect them till 2024. They are apparently discussions being had, about Rogue Squadron.

Some kind of reset button on Galaxy’s Edge. Canon being thrown out.

This is a rumor, so please treat it as such grain of salt and all that.

MisterPenguin

Rumormonger
Premium Member
According to the latest episode of Disney Dish. Expect to see a lot of characters associated with the recently announced Star Wars Disney + shows in 2021 going into 2022. Incorporated as walk around characters for Galaxy’s Edge.

Also expect, a slight dialing back of the timeline. Specifically mentioned a Mando and Grogu meet and greet as well as Boba Fett and Ashoka Tano.

They also mentioned the rumors of the Falcon getting new missions. It was said to not expect them till 2024. They are apparently discussions being had, about Rogue Squadron.

Some kind of reset button on Galaxy’s Edge. Canon being thrown out.

This is a rumor, so please treat it as such grain of salt and all that.
Jim's now getting his rumors from the online rumor mill.

_caleb

I wonder how much of this is Disney finally realizing that they need to add the promised streetmosphere characters to SW:GE and just saying, “why not synergize with the new IP?”

This, of course, would not be the same thing as “let’s make a conscious effort to refocus SW:GE around a different timeline.”

Ldno

Now I’m split regarding this, It’s been heavily rumored that Disney will not use the OT at GE because they didn’t want pay royalties to George Lucas, so in my opinion Disney had no clue what to do with ST, which failed, then they made GE with the whole mentality that ”if they make it they will come” that obviously backfired on them, I’ll know I‘ll get flack for saying this but it’s true, otherwise they wouldn’t set up The Trading Post and dumping merch at their shop disney website, so they didn’t expect the huge success of mando, because they clearly weren’t ready for the baby Yoda(grogu) merch demand that now they know they are sitting on a gold mine because it’s uniting fans old and new alike and next thing you know it makes to retheme The park to welcome anything from the Mandalorian, hell throw in Boba Fett as well now.

Interesting turn of events and you could argue that yes it’s rumors so take it with a grain of salt, but in the theme park business when it rains, it pours so nothing surprises me anymore hehe

britain

Now I’m split regarding this, It’s been heavily rumored that Disney will not use the OT at GE because they didn’t want pay royalties to George Lucas, so in my opinion Disney had no clue what to do with ST, which failed, then they made GE with the whole mentality that ”if they make it they will come” that obviously backfired on them, I’ll know I‘ll get flack for saying this but it’s true, otherwise they wouldn’t set up The Trading Post and dumping merch at their shop disney website, so they didn’t expect the huge success of mando, because they clearly weren’t ready for the baby Yoda(grogu) merch demand that now they know they are sitting on a gold mine because it’s uniting fans old and new alike and next thing you know it makes to retheme The park to welcome anything from the Mandalorian, hell throw in Boba Fett as well now.

Interesting turn of events and you could argue that yes it’s rumors so take it with a grain of salt, but in the theme park business when it rains, it pours so nothing surprises me anymore hehe

Heavily and incorrectly rumored. Disney owns the OT lock stock and barrel, and there's nothing George can do about it.

MisterPenguin

Rumormonger
Premium Member
Now I’m split regarding this, It’s been heavily rumored that Disney will not use the OT at GE because they didn’t want pay royalties to George Lucas,
Whatever source told you that: YouTube video, vlog, blog, Facebook post, friend...

Never talk to them again. That Disney is in 100% control of SW is very well known. People passing that rumor on... are severely unreliable.

Ldno

Heavily and incorrectly rumored. Disney owns the OT lock stock and barrel, and there's nothing George can do about it.

Whatever source told you that: YouTube video, vlog, blog, Facebook post, friend...

Never talk to them again. That Disney is in 100% control of SW is very well known. People passing that rumor on... are severely unreliable.

I know you guys keep saying Disney has 100% control of the characters but correct me if I'm wrong, but he would make money from Disney stock based from how well the franchise was doing and from the characters he created under the Writers Guild Agreement right?

britain

Stock, yes, but that doesn't mean they would avoid using the OT characters just because one of their shareholders would make money from that. ALL THEIR SHAREHOLDERS would make money from successfully using the OT characters. There's no such thing as "We're tired of paying George money" via shareholder value.

Even if there was some sort of residual writer's payment because characters George created – which I very much doubt – then avoiding the OT still doesn't make sense because all of the new characters (Sequel Trilogy characters and new Mandalorian characters) are still "Based on Star Wars by George Lucas." It says that in all the end credits. There's no increase of payment based on the number of OT characters being used.

They either don't have to pay George any more money, or they do have to pay him a slim fraction for the rest of eternity - either way, decreasing or increasing the use the original trilogy characters won't change any of that.

Rosso11

@WDW Pro - I’ve seen your follow up essentially confirming our suspicions. However, I’ve got two big words to throw cold water on the idea of putting Han Solo in the MF ride: Harrison. Ford.

It’s like pulling teeth to get him to do anything SW related. I doubt he’ll grant WDI the rights to his likeness (unlike jolly fanboy Mark Hamill). They could go with Alden... but that’s not gonna happen.
I have a bit of a unique perspective on this. I know the stories of Harrison Ford supposedly being anti Han Solo and only wanting him to die to be done with the character. However I had the opportunity to have lunch with him before he was publicly signed onto the new Star Wars films. He freely admitted he was signed on and didn’t know why Disney was still keeping it a big secret. I asked him about the rumors of him hating Han Solo and how he wanted to be finished with the character. However, he claimed that couldn’t be further from the truth. He loved Han Solo and loved playing him. He just truly felt him dying in Return of the Jedi would have been much more impactful. It was simply for the good of the story and not any ill will for the character. However the story got out there and he played it off as such for laughs. He told me today he picks parts purely if he thinks he’ll have fun doing it. It’s not for the money and it’s not for the prestige. He has enough of both at this point. So as long as Disney can persuade him that he’ll enjoy doing it, he will.

Disney Maddux

I have a bit of a unique perspective on this. I know the stories of Harrison Ford supposedly being anti Han Solo and only wanting him to die to be done with the character. However I had the opportunity to have lunch with him before he was publicly signed onto the new Star Wars films. He freely admitted he was signed on and didn’t know why Disney was still keeping it a big secret. I asked him about the rumors of him hating Han Solo and how he wanted to be finished with the character. However, he claimed that couldn’t be further from the truth. He loved Han Solo and loved playing him. He just truly felt him dying in Return of the Jedi would have been much more impactful. It was simply for the good of the story and not any ill will for the character. However the story got out there and he played it off as such for laughs. He told me today he picks parts purely if he thinks he’ll have fun doing it. It’s not for the money and it’s not for the prestige. He has enough of both at this point. So as long as Disney can persuade him that he’ll enjoy doing it, he will.
Jealousy... totally not rising...

TDLFan

I still can't believe they built a 14 acre land based on one of the most successful film franchises ever, and decided not to prominently feature the characters or identifiable locations that made it so successful in the first place. It's like having the rights to build OZ, and Disney builds the rescue shelter where Dorothy picked up Toto and the meet and greet is a Wheeler and the Talking Gump Sofa - and even those are more interesting than what Galaxies Edge ended up with.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

I still can't believe they built a 14 acre land based on one of the most successful film franchises ever, and decided not to prominently feature the characters or identifiable locations that made it so successful in the first place. It's like having the rights to build OZ, and Disney builds the rescue shelter where Dorothy picked up Toto and the meet and greet is a Wheeler and the Talking Gump Sofa - and even those are more interesting than what Galaxies Edge ended up with.
This ^^^^^

marni1971

WDW History nut
Premium Member
Excellent analogy.

WillWrambles

In the Parks
No
They wanted to gamble on the success of the sequels.... too bad someone set it all on fire, someone else shoddily built something new out of the ashes, and then the first guy again set it all on fire, then froze the ashes, destroyed the ice, and then chucked the chunks into a volcano. I hate episode 9 if ya can’t tell.

SpoiledBlueMilk

Out of the two characters, doesn't Ford prefer Indy over Solo? It was always my impression that of the two, Indy was the one he was more interested in pursuing?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Top Bottom