Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

RobWDW1971

The Mandalorian with Baby Yoda would be a M&G I’d wait for.

Well, we could do that, but let's see, the Mandalorian exists five years after Jedi, this land (for some idiotic unknown reason) it is firmly locked after Episode 8, but before Episode 9 - FOREVER. So....if the Mandalorian takes place approximately 25 years before Episode 8, and since he's portrayed as the best bounty hunter in the galaxy, not something one would achieve in his youth, we can assume he's at least 30, carry the one, divide by pi, and....

According to WDI and their idiotic self-imposed rules, you CAN'T get the Mandalorian character Disney is highly promoting on Disney+, but you CAN get a retired, AARP Mandalorian walking around for very brief periods of time before he gets winded and needs to rest (assuming he’s doesn’t die in the series, than nope).

Oh, and in regards to the new highly anticipated Kenobi series? Can't get any exciting new characters from that series either - FOREVER. WDI thought it would be better if they were all dead and forever banned from a "Star Wars" land.

Oh, and if there are any cool breakout characters in Episode 9 that the kids would want to see - nope, they are banned FOREVER. That includes any future movies, TV shows, video games, etc. that take place after Episode 8 or too soon before Episode 8.

Anybody still think locking the land into an exact time and place (when Star Wars is a timeless, infinite universe) was brilliant?

Last edited:

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Well, we could do that, but let's see, the Mandalorian exists five years after Jedi, this land (for some idiotic unknown reason) it is firmly locked after Episode 8, but before Episode 9 - FOREVER. So....if the Mandalorian takes place approximately 25 years before Episode 8, and since he's portrayed as the best bounty hunter in the galaxy, not something one would achieve in his youth, we can assume he's at least 30, carry the one, divide by pi, and....

According to WDI and their idiotic self-imposed rules, you CAN'T get the Mandalorian character Disney is highly promoting on Disney+, but you CAN get a retired, AARP Mandalorian walking around for very brief periods of time before he gets winded and needs to rest.

Oh, and in regards to the new highly anticipated Kenobi series? Can't get any exciting new characters from that series either - FOREVER. WDI thought it would be better if they were all dead and forever banned from a "Star Wars" land.

Oh, and if there are any cool breakout characters in Episode 9 that the kids would want to see - nope, they are banned FOREVER. That includes any future movies, TV shows, video games, etc. that take place after Episode 8 or too soon before Episode 8.

Anybody still think locking the land into an exact time and place (when Star Wars is a timeless, infinite universe) was brilliant?

what about the gondolas? And Epcot? Don’t get me started on Epcot!!

Mike S

According to WDI and their idiotic self-imposed rules, you CAN'T get the Mandalorian character Disney is highly promoting on Disney+, but you CAN get a retired, AARP Mandalorian walking around for very brief periods of time before he gets winded and needs to rest.

There is an easy fix that could be applied. Make the land so that it could theoretically take place in any of the trilogies and then throughout the day each set of characters cycle in and out so everyone is happy. Maybe the rides themselves are stuck in the sequels but the land is timeless.

This is sort of how Diagon Alley works as Gringotts is clearly set during Deathly Hallows but during those same events pretty much all of the shops were in ruin as well. Not so in the theme park land. Hogsmeade as a whole also doesn’t have a set time period especially now that Dragon Challenge is gone.

RobWDW1971

There is an easy fix that could be applied. Make the land so that it could theoretically take place in any of the trilogies and then throughout the day each set of characters cycle in and out so everyone is happy. Maybe the rides themselves are stuck in the sequels but the land is timeless.
Absolutely agree. And with a timeless land you can have attractions including past or yet unknown future great characters.

It is so obvious on everything we have lost by them making this fundamentally terrible creative decision, but my question is what exactly did we gain?

It is not a question of substituting OT, prequels, or today - it’s a question of would you rather have the entire Star Wars universe of characters to celebrate and meet or an incredibly limited amount that neither includes the past nor allows for the future.

Still waiting to hear a cohesive argument (for almost 6 months now) about why limited is better.

Last edited:

mikejs78

Premium Member
Why would it be a disaster? The attractions could be as immersive / specific as anyone could want, but Galaxy's Edge could feature characters from all of the Star Wars series. I enjoy the new films and characters, but it doesn't mean I wouldn't also want to see Darth Vader swanning around or The Mandalorian with a baby Yoda in tow.
Because I love the idea that the land is "in-universe", and has a story to it, not just a random "Star Wars Land". Having characters that don't fit in universe at the time period that the land is set in would cheapen the land and take away the storytelling element of the land.

mikejs78

Premium Member
Absolutely agree. And with a timeless land you can have attractions including past or yet unknown future great characters.

It is so obvious on everything we have lost by them making this fundamentally terrible creative decision, but my question is what exactly did we gain?
When it comes to any theme park attraction, we talk about placemaking, backstory, and storytelling. It's what separates Disney Parks from the rest. Yet now some want to throw that out the window because they aren't happy with the particular placemaking decision that was made.

Mike S

Because I love the idea that the land is "in-universe", and has a story to it, not just a random "Star Wars Land". Having characters that don't fit in universe at the time period that the land is set in would cheapen the land and take away the storytelling element of the land.
Is WWoHP “generic Harry Potter Land” because they wanted to show all or at least most aspects of the series even if some things may clash? Is Forbidden Journey now a bad ride because it wanted to show many different things at once?

Mickeyboof

Just like it cheapens New Orleans Square and Fantasyland! And Tomorrowland... and Cars Land...... Pandora..........

Yes. It's called placemaking and storytelling.

I love watching the Imagineering doc, because almost every single design and placemaking principle was abandoned for Galaxy's Edge.

Everything they've learned in all these years of creating lands that quickly inform the guest was just thrown out the door.

I couldn't help but laugh hearing the guy talk about Walt's design principles- the stages of seeing a steeple from the distance, passing through the town at it's base... noting the colors and the windows, the people who live there... all the way until you're at the door and you physically feel the metal of the , and enter the place you saw from miles away.

Its hilarious because you walk into Galaxy's Edge, past the details and the world... up to the steeple to find it has a fence around the place you want to go.

It has four characters walking around doing practically nothing but play fixing static ships.

But there is an app and a book!

EDIT: the word k n o b is banned? ? Come on.

Last edited:

Disney Analyst

According to WDI and their idiotic self-imposed rules, you CAN'T get the Mandalorian character Disney is highly promoting on Disney+, but you CAN get a retired, AARP Mandalorian walking around for very brief periods of time before he gets winded and needs to rest (assuming he’s doesn’t die in the series, than nope).

I think everything may change once the new triology is finished and a bit of time has passed.

For now you can avoid the land while the rest of us enjoy it. Don’t need Mr. comes across like a Sith hanging out in a new land he despises. .

erasure fan1

I’m so glad the plot was kept under wraps pre release. Hearing about how The Mandalorian is just about him going around with a Baby Yoda would’ve come across pretty poorly imo without seeing how the events actually play out.
I've been critical of a lot of decisions Disney has made with star wars. But I will 100% give them the props they deserve. Not having merch for baby yoda was a choice of putting the experience over a quick profit. And that's something sorely lacking in Iger Disney. People say you can't have the same experience with something like you did when you first experienced it. I don't buy it, and the Mandalorian proves it. The end of the first episode gave me the same feelings I got as kid watching star wars. But if you would have told me a year ago we would get a baby yoda thing in the new show. I would have rolled my eyes and probably laughed at the idea. But keeping it under wraps, so you can see it within the context of the show, very smart.

The Pho

I've been critical of a lot of decisions Disney has made with star wars. But I will 100% give them the props they deserve. Not having merch for baby yoda was a choice of putting the experience over a quick profit. And that's something sorely lacking in Iger Disney

I imagine it’s more similar to how everybody wanted a dancing Baby Groot and Disney wasn’t selling those either. Or how there wasn’t much Frozen merchandise after it released. They don’t want to get stuck with a bunch of stuff they can’t sell so they play the waiting game for the demand.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom