Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

gmajew

Premium Member
Don’t get me wrong. I hate being this cautious about a mainline Star Wars movie. It’s something I thought could never have happened yet here we are. I’m more excited to see the first episode of The Mandalorian.

a lot of people have your view in them but I keep going back that the prequel were horrible when they came out. People hated hated them but now people say they are good. I don’t get it... but With these I thought the first one was good second one hated the Luke story arch but was a good besides killing my child hood favorite. This one has me excited. I loved rogue one solo was nard to see someone else as Hans but overall had a lot of layers I would have like to see explored more.

The_Jobu

a lot of people have your view in them but I keep going back that the prequel were horrible when they came out. People hated hated them but now people say they are good. I don’t get it... but With these I thought the first one was good second one hated the Luke story arch but was a good besides killing my child hood favorite. This one has me excited. I loved rogue one solo was nard to see someone else as Hans but overall had a lot of layers I would have like to see explored more.

I always liked Revenge of the Sith though 😄

Mike S

For some people they see them as “at least better than TLJ.” Some always liked them and others were kids that always liked them but just weren’t talking about them on the internet until now. Me? For overall story they’re good. For individual character dialogue and certain scenes they can get very cringey. George is a great idea guy but he really needed second opinions.

TP2000

I know this is the DHS thread, and DHS is in WDW, which is in Florida. But this wait time info was just posted in the Disneyland thread and I think it's notable since the two Star Wars Lands are cloned on both coasts. And some might think it's quite telling which Star Wars rides have long lines, and which don't. Here's the Friday night wait times at Disneyland for the Star Wars rides, plus the intro info that explains the context of them...

It's the last Friday night before Halloween. October Friday night's have been very busy at Disneyland for years and years now. It's a SoCal thing; the locals love to go hang out at Disneyland on Friday nights in October.

The wait times are relatively high at 8pm, with a Midnight park closing time. The Millennium Falcon has the lowest wait time of any E Ticket in Anaheim, except for the 60 year old Submarines and the 64 year old Jungle Cruise (before they add an animatronic The Rock to the ride). It's A Small World is currently closed for refurbishment, so not tracked.

The Star Wars rides are in red.

Radiator Springs Racers - Temporarily Closed
Jungle Cruise - 15 Minutes
Submarine Voyage - 25 Minutes
Soarin' Around The World, Millennium Falcon: Target Run - 30 Minutes
Pirates of the Caribbean, Grizzly River Run - 40 Minutes
Splash Mountain, Thunder Mountain - 45 Minutes
Star Tours - 55 Minutes
Indiana Jones Adventure, Incredicoaster - 60 Minutes
Midway Mania - 80 Minutes
Guardians of the Galaxy Monsters After Dark!, Matterhorn Bobsleds - 90 Minutes
Hyperspace Mountain - 100 Minutes
Haunted Mansion Holiday - 120 Minutes

Last edited:

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

How do you know if it’s not a good ride or not? You’re still hung up on that ramp.
I think you answered your own question. adding the ramp would have been the cherry at the top of a good ride. but that is not what they made. they made a bigger dave and buster's simulator ride based of SOLO, which bombed horribly,also not having Han Solo or Chewie on the faclon with you or introduce you to the falcon instead of Hondo was a mistake and did a poor job or making one believe they stepped onto the actual falcon.

TP2000

Not having the burden of Fastpass is suddenly a bad thing. Go figure.

Don't get me wrong, I've never been a fan of Fastpass. I think it's a silly shell game that does nothing meaningful to improve the overall park experience. It doesn't increase park capacity, it just creates various caste systems within that park.

But I think Disneyland offers a really insightful glimpse into how the free market is responding to the new Star Wars Land and its sole operating attraction. That is, Pirates vs. Falcon. Taking the Friday night wait times I already posted, and this has happened repeatedly in the last few months between these two exact rides...

Pirates of the Caribbean, 52 years old, No Fastpass, 2,800 riders per hour = 40 Minute wait time
Millennium Falcon: Target Run, 150 days old, No Fastpass, 1,600 riders per hour = 30 Minute wait time

And those two E Ticket rides are approximately a 7 or 8 minute walk away from each other, in the same park.

I find that quite illuminating. 🧐

NoChesterHester

Don't get me wrong, I've never been a fan of Fastpass. I think it's a silly shell game that does nothing meaningful to improve the overall park experience. It doesn't increase park capacity, it just creates various caste systems within that park.

But I think Disneyland offers a really insightful glimpse into how the free market is responding to the new Star Wars Land and its sole operating attraction. That is, Pirates vs. Falcon. Taking the Friday night wait times I already posted, and this has happened repeatedly in the last few months between these two exact rides...

Pirates of the Caribbean, 52 years old, No Fastpass, 2,800 riders per hour = 40 Minute wait time
Millennium Falcon: Target Run, 150 days old, No Fastpass, 1,600 riders per hour = 30 Minute wait time

And those two E Ticket rides are approximately a 7 or 8 minute walk away from each other, in the same park.

I find that quite illuminating. 🧐

I just hope the take away isn’t “we need to stop investing in new things.”

No Name

This thing has fantastic capacity. Done. The wait time discussion is overkill.

It doesn’t though. The capacity is a little over 1500 an hour. That’s not good even by today’s low standards. Many new major attractions have larger hourly capacity and pull more guests. The lack of fastpass is what’s doing more to drive down wait times. Also the lack of interest.

When Pandora is more successful than Galaxy’s Edge, heads do spin inside the company and no discussion is overkill.

peter11435

It doesn’t though. The capacity is a little over 1500 an hour. That’s not good even by today’s low standards. Many new major attractions have larger hourly capacity and pull more guests. The lack of fastpass is what’s doing more to drive down wait times. Also the lack of interest.

When Pandora is more successful than Galaxy’s Edge, heads do spin inside the company and no discussion is overkill.
Where are you getting your 1500 number from?

yensidtlaw1969

To be a little more fair, I don't think a Pandora without Flight of Passage would be as popular as the Galaxy's Edge without Rise of the Resistance.

It's annoying, but I think we really have to wait until Rise opens to see what kind of comparisons can really be made between complete projects.

Though I'll agree that it was demonstrably a bone-headed move to open Galaxy's Edge without its keystone attraction.

UpAllNight

2 attractions was unwise anyway for the cost of the land. I’d guess that Potter, now with 5 attractions in total (if we only count Hogwarts Express once) still cost less than Star Wars. A few lower scale rides shouldnt have added too much additional costs and would have rounded the land off. No doubt Disney will expand, but I’d be surprised if it was any time soon.

They haven’t got bang for their buck.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I know this is the DHS thread, and DHS is in WDW, which is in Florida. But this wait time info was just posted in the Disneyland thread and I think it's notable since the two Star Wars Lands are cloned on both coasts. And some might think it's quite telling which Star Wars rides have long lines, and which don't. Here's the Friday night wait times at Disneyland for the Star Wars rides, plus the intro info that explains the context of them...

It's the last Friday night before Halloween. October Friday night's have been very busy at Disneyland for years and years now. It's a SoCal thing; the locals love to go hang out at Disneyland on Friday nights in October.

The wait times are relatively high at 8pm, with a Midnight park closing time. The Millennium Falcon has the lowest wait time of any E Ticket in Anaheim, except for the 60 year old Submarines and the 64 year old Jungle Cruise (before they add an animatronic The Rock to the ride). It's A Small World is currently closed for refurbishment, so not tracked.

The Star Wars rides are in red.

Radiator Springs Racers - Temporarily Closed
Jungle Cruise - 15 Minutes
Submarine Voyage - 25 Minutes
Soarin' Around The World, Millennium Falcon: Target Run - 30 Minutes
Pirates of the Caribbean, Grizzly River Run - 40 Minutes
Splash Mountain, Thunder Mountain - 45 Minutes
Star Tours - 55 Minutes
Indiana Jones Adventure, Incredicoaster - 60 Minutes
Midway Mania - 80 Minutes
Guardians of the Galaxy Monsters After Dark!, Matterhorn Bobsleds - 90 Minutes
Hyperspace Mountain - 100 Minutes
Haunted Mansion Holiday - 120 Minutes

Not that I’m an expert on Disneyland but our recent visit was telling. The brand new ridea wait time was consistently beaten by older E tickets with more capacity. Unscientific but checking app wait times and Pirates, Hyperspace, Buzz, Mansion, Guardians Tower and RSR consistently had higher waits.

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes
SR doesn’t have Fastpass so the line keeps on moving with no overinflated wait times.

SR is way in the back of DL. People are too lazy to go back there and the nearest train station is also far away.

SR only has one mission currently which hurts its rerideability.

Very little people have interest in flying the Millennium Falcon. It’s an old ship with a weird design.

No one knows who Hondo is.

AP blockout dates from months ago.

You can’t go up the ramp.

Figments Friend

So i am a bit behind in posting this, but thought i would add my thoughts now that i have actually visited the East Coast version of the land.

At the end of last month, i was in Orlando for a event ( or two..) and spent a Friday evening at DHS, specifically to check out the new 'Galaxy's Edge' area among other things.
Crowds were manageable...nothing crazy, but the land had plenty of people in it.

As i had previously felt, the area is really cool looking but it is indeed just a empty set with no 'actors' or 'action'.
I DID enjoy exploring the area, seeing all the work done, but it would be so 'easy' to improve on the great visual impression with some live interactions and roaming residents that are not human.

Things i personally experienced, and liked -

The design of the area, and the detailed work in many areas.
A beautifully designed set awaiting it's actors.....and some action.

Walking through the various small shops, Doc Ondor's being the highlight.
It was not the merch i found the attraction, it was the shop itself filled with all of creatures and Doc's 'personal colletibles' displayed throughout the shop.

Doc Ondor himself, in Animatronic form.
Very cool figure and performance.
I stood and watched him go through his various activities from different angles, as well as Guests interactions with him.
He was great!
SW:GE needs more of this.

Oga's Cantina, although it was VERY loud and VERY crowded on a Friday night.
Cool setting/props and D.J. Rex was entertaining.
The two items i ordered ( Jabba Juice, Batuu Bits ) were both very good.
The BIts i really enjoyed, and the Juice was refreshing.
I felt lucky getting in and experiencing it and only spending $15 or so.....

'MF: Smuggler's Run' was enjoyable the first time around, but FAR better the second time around for this reason -
I was in line near the end of the night and the three people in front of me declined the Cast Member's offer to load, waiting for a different position to be made available.
I assumed they were all waiting for the coveted 'Pilot' positions, so i asked the CM 'so, what position is it that nobody wants?'
She then said 'Pilot!!' and i couldn't believe my ears.
I jumped at the chance.
Soon another single rider who was in the main line was paired with me, and another Cast Member ended up loading just the two of us into a cockpit pod.
So we had a 'private pod' all to ourselves and both piloted together.
I had Left Pilot, he had Right.
Great flight!
:)

Other observations i noted -

I saw no characters at all walking around except two Stormtroopers.
Rey and Chewie has apparently 'gone to bed' for the evening, and i did not see anyone else except CMs in costume.

I didn't see people really buying any merchadise in the land.
There were a few stragglers in the Droid Depo actually building, but the bulk of folks in there were just passing through.
I saw a short line outside of Savi's, and two people carrying packaged Lightsabers in other areas of the Parks, but rarely saw anyone carrying or purchasing stuff in the land.

I did not sample any of the food options except as noted above at Oga's, but enjoyed the animated display inside Ronto Roasters.

-

Last edited:

TP2000

This thing has fantastic capacity. Done. The wait time discussion is overkill.

A realistic maximum of 1,600 riders an hour is not fantastic. It's fairly miserable when it comes to E Tickets.

In the first couple months of operation at the Disneyland version, the Millennium Falcon ride averaged 1,387 per hour, because you are never going to have perfect 1,600 per hour for hours after hours, days after days, especially in the first few months when the CM's are working through a learning curve.

It's easy to imagine that the DHS version is getting the same averages per hour as the identical Disneyland version.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom