Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Rteetz

A realistic maximum of 1,600 riders an hour is not fantastic. It's fairly miserable when it comes to E Tickets.

In the first couple months of operation at the Disneyland version, the Millennium Falcon ride averaged 1,387 per hour, because you are never going to have perfect 1,600 per hour for hours after hours, days after days, especially in the first few months when the CM's are working through a learning curve.

It's easy to imagine that the DHS version is getting the same averages per hour as the identical Disneyland version.
While true it at least has a better capacity than FoP.

999th Happy Haunt

Very little people have interest in flying the Millennium Falcon. It’s an old ship with a weird design.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

SR doesn’t have Fastpass so the line keeps on moving with no overinflated wait times.

SR is way in the back of DL. People are too lazy to go back there and the nearest train station is also far away.

SR only has one mission currently which hurts its rerideability.

Very little people have interest in flying the Millennium Falcon. It’s an old ship with a weird design.

No one knows who Hondo is.

AP blockout dates from months ago.

You can’t go up the ramp.
SR doesn’t have Fastpass so the line keeps on moving with no overinflated wait times. (NOT A VALID EXCUSE. IT SHOULD MAKE THE RIDE MORE POPULAR WITH LONGER LINES CONSIDERING IT WAS BRAND NEW WITHIN A NEW LAND. STAR TOURS AND INDIANA JONES ADVENTURE HAD OVERFLOWING LINES WHEN THEY OPENED WITH NO FAST PASS BACK THEN BECUASE IT DID NOT EXIST. WHAT'S THE FALCON'S EXCUSE? IT SHOULDN'T HAVE ONE)

SR is way in the back of DL. People are too lazy to go back there and the nearest train station is also far away. (BULL$HIT EXCUSE. ITS A BRAND NEW LAND HEAVILY ADVERTISED)

SR only has one mission currently which hurts its rerideability. (INDIANA AND STAR TOURS WHEN THEY OPENED ONLY HAD ONE MISSION, YES INDY HAD DIFFERENT DOORS BUT THE RIDE LAYOUT WAS ALWAYS THE SAME AND PEOPLE WOULD GET BACK IN LINE AFTER GETTING OFF BOTH OF THEM TO RIDE AGAIN. WHAT'S THE FALCON EXCUSE?)

Very little people have interest in flying the Millennium Falcon. It’s an old ship with a weird design. ( INCORRECT. EVERY STAR WARS FAN HAS ALWAYS WANTED TO BOARD THE FALCON AND FLY IT)

No one knows who Hondo is.(CORRECT IT WAS A MISTAKE TO USE HIM INSTEAD OF HAN AND CHEWIE)

AP blockout dates from months ago. (THEN THEY SHOULD BE FLOCKING TO SEE IT)

You can’t go up the ramp. (THE IS THE MOST EGREGIOUS MISTAKE DISNEY HAS EVER MADE)

RSoxNo1

A realistic maximum of 1,600 riders an hour is not fantastic. It's fairly miserable when it comes to E Tickets.

In the first couple months of operation at the Disneyland version, the Millennium Falcon ride averaged 1,387 per hour, because you are never going to have perfect 1,600 per hour for hours after hours, days after days, especially in the first few months when the CM's are working through a learning curve.

It's easy to imagine that the DHS version is getting the same averages per hour as the identical Disneyland version.
It's regularly in the 1700-1800 range. It seems that lately Disney doesn't strive for 2000 riders per hour capacity anymore.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Just for reference, anyone know FoP’s hourly capacity?

The 'movie' is 4.5 minutes. Assume 5 minutes for everyone to leave a theater and the next group to get set up. That's a 9.5 minute cycle.

One theater can then show 6.3 times an hour. For all four theaters, 25.2 times an hour the movie is shown.

72 people per movie at 25.2 movies per hour is 1,819 PPH.

That's maximum capacity assuming no empty seats, no extra time to set up between shows, and all four theaters are working.

RSoxNo1

The 'movie' is 4.5 minutes. Assume 5 minutes for everyone to leave a theater and the next group to get set up. That's a 9.5 minute cycle.

One theater can then show 6.3 times an hour. For all four theaters, 25.2 times an hour the movie is shown.

72 people per movie at 25.2 movies per hour is 1,819 PPH.

That's maximum capacity assuming no empty seats, no extra time to set up between shows, and all four theaters are working.

Not even close.

Each of the 4 theaters has a 48 guest capacity and the target cycle time is 7 minutes. That puts it at 1645. The problem is, at least initially it wasn't really getting close to 7 minutes all that often or consistently.

yensidtlaw1969

No high reward without high risk.
Toy Story Land would like a word.

More to the point, it is entirely possible that these guys are rich enough that they'd rather a safe bet. They've already gotten a high enough reward for one lifetime, they may not be interested in risking anything in the hope of another. Not that I endorse that perspective.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Not even close.

Each of the 4 theaters has a 48 guest capacity and the target cycle time is 7 minutes. That puts it at 1645. The problem is, at least initially it wasn't really getting close to 7 minutes all that often or consistently.

I stand corrected on the theater size. (Don't know why I thought it was 72.) Then your number is correct.

tribbleorlfl

I just realized, we went to SWGE for the first time over the Columbus Day weekend, but I never shared my opinions.

Things I liked:
  • The visual eye candy and attention to detail is just unparalleled.
  • Even if the ride itself was underwhelming, simply going through the MFSR queue, boarding the Falcon and sitting in the cockpit was magical and worth the wait. The kid in me was literally grinning ear to ear.
  • Walk-around characters instead of defined stationary meet and greets. I saw Rey and her handler go up to the Falcon, inspect it and "make repairs."
  • Great selection of unique merchandise.
  • Commitment of the CMs to the theme. Compared to how long it took UO TMs to drop their terrible fake British accents in Hogsmede, every CM we encountered referred to us as off-worlders or travelers. Called money credits, etc. One particularly awesome encounter in Dok's were two CMs asking my son about his Mickey shirt, peppering him with questions about "the sentient rodent that he and his followers worshiped."
  • Lots of Easter eggs
Things I didn't like:
  • While there's plenty to see, there's precious little to do in SWGE. The datapad is a clever distraction, but a poor replacement for actual in-land activities. And completely useless when the Play Disney app depletes the remaining half of your battery while waiting in the Falcon queue line.
  • As discussed, most of the attractions are paid experiences which is severely going to hamper SWGEs enjoyment and "replayability" for subsequent visits. Building a Droid and lightsaber is fun and all, but unless you're one of the select few with money to burn, these are both one-and-done lifetime experiences.
  • Like others have said, SWGE definitely suffers from a lack of battuan/alien/Droid walk-around activity. The walk-around characters they do have are cool, there's just not enough for a suposedly bustling starport.
  • Elevated prices in comparison to outside of SWGE. For example, the Pot Roast pasta was 18.99. Earlier in the year, the ABC commissary had the braised beef and enchilada, which despite being the exact same product and a larger portion, was $3 less. SW coke bottle premium, beer and mixed drink prices, etc.
  • Avoid the turkey jerkey
  • My daughter's $100 Droid literally lasted less than a day before breaking. Merchandise guest services has yet to fix/replace it.
Overall, I enjoy it and look forward to going again in a couple weeks. I think the criticism that SWGE is not set during the OT or in a location seen in the movies is overblown. Everything there was recognizably "Star Wars," and I appreciate the creativity that went into creating something new that fits into the existing universe and story.

I just wish it was more than it is. I wish there was a third attraction. I wish there was more to do that didn't require $100+ upsells. I wish they hadn't made this such a naked cash grab.

erasure fan1

I think the criticism that SWGE is not set during the OT or in a location seen in the movies is overblown. Everything there was recognizably "Star Wars," and I appreciate the creativity that went into creating something new that fits into the existing universe and story.
It is and it isn't. There are many reasons, many you have mentioned, that are contributing to the tepid response to the land. The OT could have been very easily integrated into the land while keeping it a new place. As Luke would say, your overconfidence is your weakness. And that was Disneys problem.

pdude81

There would be no need for fences if parents controlled their children, and adults acted more responsibly themselves. Same likely reason there are no wandering droids... :(

I don't think we need to shake a fist at unknown parents on this one. I finally got out west last fall and DCA has animatronic Cars that drive around the land, with moving eyes and speech. They seem to do ok with that technology that was greenlit ten years ago. IMO a speeder that is really just a plastic box is not that much different than a fence, and youshould be able to walk around it as if you were in a real location. And yes, let the bloggers selfie it up

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom