Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

danlb_2000

Premium Member
While a 2018 completion date is unlikely, this isn't to say that it's not possible. If you look at the speed in which Universal can bring new attractions online (using largely the same construction companies) it's entirely possible that disney is planning on something similar with 24hr around the clock construction. With the areas in which they will be doing the construction it would be fairly easy to get construction equipment and personnel in and out without disrupting park operations.

Time will tell but I really hope this is the route they go even if the 2018 timeline is an optimistic fantasy at best.

It wouldn't even require around the clock work. If it starts in January, then that would be 33-34 months. Everest, the Mine Ride, and the Little Mermaid/BatB areas of Fantasyland were each built in that amount of time.

HauntedMansionFLA

Disney's issues with getting things done really isn't with the contractors but with Disney deciding and moving forward. Universal has been able to move faster than everyone else by removing a lot of layers of decision making.
Where I work is the same way, meetings to have meetings / sub-committee for the original committee . Takes forever for things to get done. But everyone needs to have their voice heard to justify their position with the company.

HauntedMansionFLA

I could see Star Wars Land opening by the end of 2018, but I'm expecting something more like first half of 2019 (say, May 2019 maybe).
I believe that's when the final movie of this trilogy comes out. I have so much hope for this land. I have a blast on Star Tours. I hope the other two rides that were announced are E-ticket rides.

roj2323

It wouldn't even require around the clock work. If it starts in January, then that would be 33-34 months. Everest, the Mine Ride, and the Little Mermaid/BatB areas of Fantasyland were each built in that amount of time.
Yes but we are talking about building all of those at the same time. Keep in mind that Toy story land will be under construction as well as the parking lot all at the same time. That's around 40 acres or more of Heavy construction all at once. I don't doubt that it's possible but we are talking about several EXPENSIVE projects all at once and we know TDO likes to spread out the cost to appease the investors.

FigmentForver96

Why do you always bring this up and why is it relevant? Even insiders on this site get things wrong now and again (yourself included if we want to consider you a insider)...
Its not that people get thing wrong, because they do. But come on, we all know Iger was not coming to Disney during a limited time magic event to announce some big land. Its not that he made a mistake, he made a huge claim to stir up the fanbase or for clicks.

Next Big Thing

Its not that people get thing wrong, because they do. But come on, we all know Iger was not coming to Disney during a limited time magic event to announce some big land. Its not that he made a mistake, he made a huge claim to stir up the fanbase or for clicks.
Stirring things up and getting those clicks is how he makes money. And quite frankly it gave us something to talk about for a few days back then.

TP2000

Universal has been able to move faster than everyone else by removing a lot of layers of decision making.

Universal is also able to move faster because they can open a major E Ticket thrill ride that is just a ride in a big box warehouse building with flat signage and a statue in front to serve as "theme". They don't even have to plant trees or shrubs if they dont want to.

usf-transformers-opening.jpg

I can easily imagine that WDI has way too many managers, too many divas, and stifling corporate bureaucracy at all levels. There have been enough off-the-record and anecdotal reports of that exact scenario from the inside to think otherwise. But if WDI built an E Ticket inside a lightly themed warehouse like Universal gets away with, even if they built it in 18 months like Universal does, Disney would never hear the end of it.

WDI actually tried exactly that type of thing 15 years ago. It was called Disney's California Adventure, and it cost Disney a decade and 2 Billion dollars to fix it.

Last edited:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Universal is also able to move faster because they can open a major E Ticket thrill ride that is just a ride in a big box warehouse building with flat signage and a statue in front to serve as "theme". They don't even have to plant trees or shrubs if they dont want to.

Or we could say how Horizons took 15 months
Or how Splash Mountain - with its unconventional, elaborate theme ing inside and out- took 22 months

Just two of WDWs larger, more elaborate attractions.

Transformers was still an amazing record though. How long has TSMM taken in its big box warehouse that was already built?

lazyboy97o

usf-transformers-opening.jpg

I can easily imagine that WDI has way too many managers, too many divas, and stifling corporate bureaucracy at all levels. There have been enough off-the-record and anecdotal reports of that exact scenario from the inside to think otherwise. But if WDI built an E Ticket inside a lightly themed warehouse like Universal gets away with, even if they built it in 18 months like Universal does, Disney would never hear the end of it.

WDI actually tried exactly that type of thing 15 years ago. It was called Disney's California Adventure, and it cost Disney a decade and 2 Billion dollars to fix it.
Universal is well aware of the sacrifices that were made to get Transformers: The Ride - 3D built in such a ridiculous time span. The 13 month build is impressive for its speed and cutting through bureaucracy, but nobody denies the lack of exterior attention. Even then, it is a complete outlier even for Universal. Disney right now is building a warehouse to expand the fully visible Soarin' show buildings that similarly is the third time this type of warehouse is being built.

AmUK

Why look at Transformers as example?

Surely a better example would be the Harry Potter lands, and the times frames they were finishd in, compared to something as average as FantasyLand.

Anyone arguing that Disney moves at snails pace is clearly silly. The reason why they move at this pace is quite obvious, cut the budget - but obviously the counter argument is they lose years of income double digit growth would bring had they opened a few years earlier. It's a mad way to go about it.

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
Anyone arguing that Disney moves at snails pace is clearly silly. The reason why they move at this pace is quite obvious, cut the budget - but obviously the counter argument is they lose years of income double digit growth would bring had they opened a few years earlier. It's a mad way to go about it.

I do not agree with you at all on this. I have been involved in major constructions projects for 40 years.

All projects have a critical time line. If the project moves at a "snails pace" that is less than the critical time line than the project will cost more. This is because you have equipment and people waiting on the next task. This is also the same if you move the project faster than the critical time line, you will be spending money for accelerating deliveries, hiring additional people that might not be fully productive, etc.

The other big factor is the amount of time spent in planning and design. If you cut back on planning and design time you will most likely miss something and increase cost with change orders. If you take to long in design you risk the cost of construction due to inflation causing cost to go up.

So it is not as simple as you make in sound. Slower construction does not always save money.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
So it is not as simple as you make in sound. Slower construction does not always save money.
It is like most every other thing on the planet in that extremes are generally bad.

Build too fast and you are paying overtime, premiums and running into mistakes. Build too slow and you get stuck paying a $100K equipment rental vs a $25K one. The middle ground between those two extremes is where you want to be.

Now I do think that Disney does run at the low end of that middle ground, but I would rather wait a few months more and have it done right.

Disney is also not hurting for business right now. The only real incentive they have to move faster is to help better accommodate the guests they already have. Of course new attractions mean more guests. It is the theme park equivalent of Downs–Thomson paradox (also know as induced demand) that I don't think Disney will ever be able to get out of.

RSoxNo1

The impression that I'm getting is Bob Chapek doesn't like to delay things unnecessarily. If there isn't a logistical issue with Star Wars Land construction beginning sooner rather than later, there's certainly value to having it open as soon as possible. If ground breaks on Toy Story and Star Wars infrastructure in January 2016, It's not unreasonable that it be completed in 36 months. That's a very realistic timetable, even with the associated infrastructure.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom