News Star Wars Galaxy's Edge opening day reports - Disney's Hollywood Studios

erasure fan1

If people are loosing interest because the movies aren't good, I don't consider that fatigue. Fatigue to me is when people are getting tired because there is simply to much.
Agreed. The only star wars fatigue I see is with the print side of things. I see a lot of people not buying comics, novels... because there is just way to much out there. There are a lot of quality books and comics out there, I'm just tired of keeping up with it all, so I don't. That's fatigue in my book. I don't see why people can't get that, what's happening with star wars, is Disneys direction of the franchise, not the IP itself.

The_Jobu

Agreed. The only star wars fatigue I see is with the print side of things. I see a lot of people not buying comics, novels... because there is just way to much out there. There are a lot of quality books and comics out there, I'm just tired of keeping up with it all, so I don't. That's fatigue in my book. I don't see why people can't get that, what's happening with star wars, is Disneys direction of the franchise, not the IP itself.

The entire comics industry is in the midst of a self-induced anti-consumer implosion. But that's a whole other story.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
When i walk through potter land i light up. I see the storys unfold the places i know. The creatures i have heard about. I can take my wand out and make memories. Your right theres something to this. Look star wars land looks amazing but yeah it doesn't give me the same feeling its not magical.

Yes, and simply put

You can buy a $40 wand and USE it in the land at many places without learning a lot or doing tons of "missions" to unlock things the way it seems you have to do with a datapad.

The lightsabers you buy are unique but not THAT unique compared to others you can buy from other companies, and since you can't use them in the land, the only experience is the building part....which at least on video seems cool, but not overwhelmingly amazing IMO.

The droids are much better IMO since you can get them different personality chips, etc and they're more unique than you can buy other places, but again, you're not supposed to use them in the land and they don't really interact in the land itself the way they could.

There are some whimsical things, and "living creatures" in Batuu, but IMO they're a bit hidden and few and far between. There's a lot more motion and sensory experiences in Diagon Alley.

rowrbazzle

The fact that Disney managed to drop Star Wars Galaxy Edge comments into three of their family comedies is really annoying because its not even subtle nor did it make sense especially on Black-ish. Why the hell would a grown man and his fiance who never showed any interest in Star Wars want to Honeymoon in Batuu? At least the Goldbergs one made some sense thanks to it being the 80s and Star Wars was a heavy part of that decade.

I didn't see that episode, but I know they went to Disney a while back on Black-ish. They did a private tour. The "synergy" was pretty obnoxious.

yensidtlaw1969

Anyone who thinks you can have any level of immersion without allowing guests to wear their own costumes and without providing entertainment has no idea what the word "immersion" means.
By that standard, the Magic Kingdom only ever achieves immersion during the Halloween Parties when guests are encouraged to wear costumes.

There are lots of (good) reasons guests aren't permitted to wear their own costumes in Galaxy's Edge, and they also extend to why guests are not permitted to do so in the parks except under special circumstances. It's not like this is the first time Disney has attempted immersion, and it's not like this is the first time guests are being told they can't wear costumes. This is just the first time anyone's making a real stink about it.

All that said, the costumes aren't the keystone issue with the land - people would have less to say about this if the land was rich with costumed performers on Disney's payroll, which is what was announced.

bubbles1812

You would've thought DHS just needed SWGE to open, but this is the pickle they've unintentionally found themselves in...

There's too much riding on ROTR.
I was speaking more from the sense that DHS just needs more ideas period. Even when Rise opens, it’ll need MMRR to open. And even after that, it’ll need more. SWGE was never going to be able to fulfill that quota on its own, though it helps.

(DHS is my second favorite park after MK so the above post is truly not meant as a knock on it. I don’t expect gonzo park attendance increase from Rise, though it’s good the full land will be open. But the need for more period... that was my biggest thought as I busted through all the attractions, a few twice, in a 5.5ish hour period)

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Good thing the light saber is not a ride and no one is making you buy one!

A Universal two-park ticket is $30 more than a WDW four-park ticket.
But at universal you can easily move between the 2...you can do that with only a few hours of belchers and monorail breakdowns at the “world”

Better chance on the former.
If people are loosing interest because the movies aren't good, I don't consider that fatigue. Fatigue to me is when people are getting tired because there is simply to much.
The biggest thing in a long list of insanities I’ve seen in Disney forums over the years - other than they want to reduce attendance - is the idea that the public can be “fatigued” for Star Wars movies...not in the era of Furious 17...

And after a rather dormant period leading into 2015.
Disney continues to not understand Star Wars...apparently do Disney fans.
I rather have a deeper RPG system then a five second swing your wand around experience. Nothing wrong with a quick experience but, I prefer a deeper system.
Who says you’re the average guest, brother?

So Disney is no longer catering to the “annoying”, low profit repeat customers

It’s all about “luxury” and “once in a lifetime” types, right? That’s what I’ve been peddled for 5 years?

If I was a curious boy...I’d say there’s a disconnect on audience on this particular point.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
You would've thought DHS just needed SWGE to open, but this is the pickle they've unintentionally found themselves in...

There's too much riding on ROTR.
There’s no doubt...

We are gonna summarize this entire thing...what ACTUALLY happened from 2015-19 with Star Wars...next year sometime. It’s gonna be a hoot for sure

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I rather have a deeper RPG system then a five second swing your wand around experience. Nothing wrong with a quick experience but, I prefer a deeper system.

Yes, and a small percentage of people would like that, probably the same percentage of guests who enjoy the Sorcerers or Agent P stuff at the other parks, HOWEVER when you are dealing with things like ADR's, Fastpasses, show times for other things, you really have to plan more of your day around that kind of activity and it's a relatively individual experience.

I saw one video where a guy got to a point where he was able to.........make a small amount of steam come off the Falcon for 2 seconds. I don't know how much he had to do in the app to get to that point, but it was a bit underwhelming IMO.

Surferboy567

Yes, and a small percentage of people would like that, probably the same percentage of guests who enjoy the Sorcerers or Agent P stuff at the other parks, HOWEVER when you are dealing with things like ADR's, Fastpasses, show times for other things, you really have to plan more of your day around that kind of activity and it's a relatively individual experience.

I saw one video where a guy got to a point where he was able to.........make a small amount of steam come off the Falcon for 2 seconds. I don't know how much he had to do in the app to get to that point, but it was a bit underwhelming IMO.

That’s a fair assessment. I guess it comes down to personal preference. If he was going for a specific achievement it can be difficult. By your description, I’m assuming he did a simple “hack“ on the falcon (details in video below). Their are better interactions then having steam come off the falcon (which takes little to no effort). The reputation system is also very fun as well as the cool dialogues you get off the app.

See this video for more details:

Last edited:

Jones14

I’m with you on comics, but I feel like I’ve been buying more Star Wars books than ever lately. The wiping of the slate as far as canon goes plus the official timeline they throw in at the start make it seem way more accessible to me than when it was just a free for all.

ImperfectPixie

By that standard, the Magic Kingdom only ever achieves immersion during the Halloween Parties when guests are encouraged to wear costumes.

There are lots of (good) reasons guests aren't permitted to wear their own costumes in Galaxy's Edge, and they also extend to why guests are not permitted to do so in the parks except under special circumstances. It's not like this is the first time Disney has attempted immersion, and it's not like this is the first time guests are being told they can't wear costumes. This is just the first time anyone's making a real stink about it.

All that said, the costumes aren't the keystone issue with the land - people would have less to say about this if the land was rich with costumed performers on Disney's payroll, which is what was announced.
I was commenting that as one of the likely reasons people aren't flocking to the land like Disney thought they would. It was promised as "ground breaking" and "immersive", and I think the people Disney was hoping to draw are the ones who are into super-authentic costumes and stuff...and that Disney curtailed the costumes, entertainment, and spontaneity way too much for that crowd.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
You don’t need blue cat people roaming around Pandora to feel immersed. You don’t need cowboys in Frontierland or spacemen in Tomorrowland to feel immersed. Why does this land need costumes and characters so bad?
Go to it...

...it’s dull and a bit depressing. That’s why the calls are being made for scenery to divert attention

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom