News Star Wars Galaxy's Edge opening day reports - Disney's Hollywood Studios

Mickeyboof

This... I don’t really get. I feel like I watch people cry constantly on these boards about how we deserve more immersion. That we shouldn’t see show buildings, about sight lines, it should feel like we’re in the a different world, ect.

Disney tries to create more immersion by having sounds that would be realistic in a Star Wars world and then they are ripped for it. I thought the sounds were subtle to the point of not being annoying but noticeable enough that it made it fun to listen to as I walked around.

I love the music in Star Wars. I really really do. I own the original trilogy sound track, rogue one’s soundtrack, and the force awakens soundtrack, but Disney’s choice made sense me once I was walking in the land. It gave me a better sense of ‘being there.’

(And if you need the Star Wars music, I guess just go stand outside Star Tours or sit in the Endor Forest. I certainly heard it enough walking by)

Yeah I don’t wanna see show buildings that look like the backside of Walmart.

But that has little to do with area music.

If I wanted to hear invisible ships fly overhead and crickets, I’d stand at the end of an airport runway and close my eyes.

I’ll say it until I’m dead, but “immersion” does not mean “real.”

It never has, it never will.

I go to Disney to experience magic. Not realism.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Adorable photos! Children with Chewbacca can only be topped by children with puppies.

So are you okay with Disneyland CM's putting painter's tape down on the ground on Batuu so kids who were charged $122 per day to get in can play hopscotch? And how does hopscotch play into the story of Batuu? Or Star Wars in general? Is that okay with you?

I think its tacky and dumb, although quite telling. Am I wrong?
Can’t put a price on immersion and that much depth in backstory

You remember that time your parents took you to see that “character” on “baatu” and how thrilling it was...and how you re-enacted it with sock puppets for days afterward....

mikejs78

Premium Member
Adorable photos! Children with Chewbacca can only be topped by children with puppies.

So are you okay with Disneyland CM's putting painter's tape down on the ground on Batuu so kids who were charged $122 per day to get in can play hopscotch? And how does hopscotch play into the story of Batuu? Or Star Wars in general? Is that okay with you?

I think its tacky and dumb, although quite telling. Am I wrong?
No, you aren't, if that's indeed what it was. But it could just be some creative photography. I need to know that is what it actually was before making a judgement on that.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
This... I don’t really get. I feel like I watch people cry constantly on these boards about how we deserve more immersion. That we shouldn’t see show buildings, about sight lines, it should feel like we’re in the a different world, ect.

Disney tries to create more immersion by having sounds that would be realistic in a Star Wars world and then they are ripped for it. I thought the sounds were subtle to the point of not being annoying but noticeable enough that it made it fun to listen to as I walked around.

I love the music in Star Wars. I really really do. I own the original trilogy sound track, rogue one’s soundtrack, and the force awakens soundtrack, but Disney’s choice made sense me once I was walking in the land. It gave me a better sense of ‘being there.’

(And if you need the Star Wars music, I guess just go stand outside Star Tours or sit in the Endor Forest. I certainly heard it enough walking by)
What I took out of this is the The Last Johnson is so sucky that you didn’t even bother to buy the soundtrack. 🤓

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
No, you aren't, if that's indeed what it was. But it could just be some creative photography. I need to know that is what it actually was before making a judgement on that.
So you’re concentrating on the hop scotch conspiracy theory instead of the lack of paying customers in any of the pictures...including your own??

Better check the grassy knoll while you’re at it 😉

Darth Snips

Can’t put a price on immersion and that much depth in backstory

You remember that time your parents took you to see that “character” on “baatu” and how thrilling it was...and how you re-enacted it with sock puppets for days afterward....
No, but I remember when my parents took me on Imagination and I fell in love with Figment. I remember riding Star Tours and then going home and playing with my siblings and quoting all of Rex’s lines. I remember when I got to ride Mission: Space and how badly I wanted one of those really cool X2 spaceship play sets (I never got one 😞). I remember riding Splash Mountain for the first time and learning all the words to Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah. I also remember riding Forbidden Journey for the first just a few years ago and being in awe despite never seeing a single Harry Potter film.

Again, I don’t think this is as simple as the IP. Many rides have become beloved without, or even in spite of, an IP tie-in. There is something much bigger, and much more interesting, at play here.

bubbles1812

What I took out of this is the The Last Johnson is so sucky that you didn’t even bother to buy the soundtrack. 🤓
Lol. I didn’t hate The Last Jedi but it definitely wasn’t a favorite. It went a very weird direction, especially in terms of the Kylo Ren/Rey relationship. I only saw it the once in theaters. I’m very curious to see how Rise of Skywalker is going to turn out. I guess we shall see if JJ manages to turn the ship or let it hit the iceberg.

But I still liked the ambient noises of SWGE ;)

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
No, but I remember when my parents took me on Imagination and I fell in love with Figment. I remember riding Star Tours and then going home and playing with my siblings and quoting all of Rex’s lines. I remember when I got to ride Mission: Space and how badly I wanted one of those really cool X2 spaceship play sets (I never got one 😞). I remember riding Splash Mountain for the first time and learning all the words to Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah. I also remember riding Forbidden Journey for the first just a few years ago and being in awe despite never seeing a single Harry Potter film.

Again, I don’t think this is as simple as the IP. Many rides have become beloved without, or even in spite of, an IP tie-in. There is something much bigger, and much more interesting, at play here.
I love this post...

But I can’t figure out why you like it, Mikey?? It doesn’t really tow the line that all is fine and there’s nothing wrong with abramsland or Star Wars itself...or Disney park business as a whole

It is indeed “something much more interesting at play”

bubbles1812

Yeah I don’t wanna see show buildings that look like the backside of Walmart.

But that has little to do with area music.

If I wanted to hear invisible ships fly overhead and crickets, I’d stand at the end of an airport runway and close my eyes.

I’ll say it until I’m dead, but “immersion” does not mean “real.”

It never has, it never will.

I go to Disney to experience magic. Not realism.
*^Shrug^* To each their own. For me, I didn’t need the music of Star Wars to feel the ‘magic’ of the place, so to speak. And I thought the droid noises, ect, added to the experience. They were fun to listen to and something different from the average.

Obviously, some people feel differently, and that’s fine, but I accept the choice Disney made as a reasonable one in the context of what they were trying to do with the Land. If they put in music, I wouldn’t be upset about it, but I didn’t need the music to enjoy the land.

Your definition of immersion is different from many others on this board but it’s a fair enough point.

Mickeyboof

*^Shrug^* To each their own. For me, I didn’t need the music of Star Wars to feel the ‘magic’ of the place, so to speak. And I thought the droid noises, ect, added to the experience. They were fun to listen to and something different from the average.

Obviously, some people feel differently, and that’s fine, but I accept the choice Disney made as a reasonable one in the context of what they were trying to do with the Land. If they put in music, I wouldn’t be upset about it, but I didn’t need the music to enjoy the land.

Your definition of immersion is different from many others on this board but it’s a fair enough point.

Immersion is you, yourself, entering a space. It is that simple.

Galaxy’s Edge is inherently immersive just by being a crafted space within a magic circle.

It does not mean real. Disney certainly misunderstands what immersive means.

If immersive means droid noises coming from completely static dead droids, then I want nothing to do with it.

If Walt Disney built Disneyland with immersive realism, well, we wouldn’t all be here talking about it right now. Thank god he didn’t.

Also, you can’t have realism AND tourists doing tourist things while lining up for rides and buying merch. It doesn’t work.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Why can’t there be both? Why can’t there be both ambient noises and some familiar melodies?

Some old characters and some new?

Sigh.
Because that ruins the immersion...

Which means we are meant to believe we are living in a barren, forsaken empty space port...as opposed to visiting a land based on movies we liked (some) and having fun.

Don’t you get it??😡

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes
This is a great point. Let's say, for the sake of argument, that not a single person on the planet cares about Rey (I don't think that's true, but hear me out). Let's say it is a unanimous opinion across the planet Earth that everyone would rather have Luke and Vader over Rey and Kylo. Well then, the quality of walk-around characters is at the exact same level as Harry Potter, which has exactly 0 characters.

Is GE underperforming? Absolutely it is. Why? Maybe guests don't like Smuggler's Run; maybe they find the land too expensive; maybe they find the parks as a whole too expensive; maybe they're waiting for RotR; maybe this whole thing was the perfect storm of crowds being afraid of crowds; etc, etc. Only time will tell us what's really going on. But if we all keep pointing back to trivial things like character meet-and-greets and IP awareness, I'm afraid we're gonna miss the real story here.

I don't mean to go off-topic, but speaking of "the real story", does it bother anyone else that Troy Porter and Gary Snider just continue to post here and we just play along like nothing's changed? I don't know what the truth behind that whole fiasco was, but I feel like we should all realize that some posters here have an agenda.

Yes. I’ve been waiting for either Troy or Micechat to go down in flames from that silly article and neither have happened. Disappointing.

RobWDW1971

Because that ruins the immersion...

Which means we are meant to believe we are living in a barren, forsaken empty space port...as opposed to visiting a land based on movies we liked (some) and having fun.

Don’t you get it??😡

Did the Imagineers ever stop for a second and ask "Would it be fun to spend time in an abandoned, war torn spaceport?". The idea of trying to recreate a place nobody wants to go to nor anybody finds entertaining is astounding to me.

Yup. Two o'clock in the afternoon in a hot, deserted spaceport on the edge of the galaxy is pretty boring actually.

Well done, WDI, well done.

Movielover

Did the Imagineers ever stop for a second and ask "Would it be fun to spend time in an abandoned, war torn spaceport?". The idea of trying to recreate a place nobody wants to go to nor anybody finds entertaining is astounding to me.

Yup. Two o'clock in the afternoon in a hot, deserted spaceport on the edge of the galaxy is pretty boring actually.

beating-a-dead-horse.gif

bubbles1812

That is quite a lot of hyperbole there... I’m not going to argue that SWGE hasn’t underperformed for Disney expectations wise but it was clear to me via the crowds this weekend that plenty of people want to go and many found it entertaining. It’s not a land without flaws, but I had a generally good time, even without doing things like building a lightsaber. The guests I talked with were overall happy with the Land.

This extreme ‘sky is falling’ stance makes it harder to take you and anyone who promotes it seriously. Just as it’s hard to take those seriously those who can’t see anything wrong with the Disney Co these days. SWGE is not a failure, though DHS as a whole needs Rise to Open.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
That is quite a lot of hyperbole there... I’m not going to argue that SWGE hasn’t underperformed for Disney expectations wise but it was clear to me via the crowds this weekend that plenty of people want to go and many found it entertaining. It’s not a land without flaws, but I had a generally good time, even without doing things like building a lightsaber. The guests I talked with were overall happy with the Land.

This extreme ‘sky is falling’ stance makes it harder to take you and anyone who promotes it seriously. Just as it’s hard to take those seriously those who can’t see anything wrong with the Disney Co these days. SWGE is not a failure, though DHS as a whole needs Rise to Open.
So by “not arguing that abramsland hasn’t underperformed”...you’re gonna lay out how it’s not underperforming??

Got it 😎

bubbles1812

So by “not arguing that abramsland hasn’t underperformed”...you’re gonna lay out how it’s not underperforming??

Got it 😎
No. You're deliberately misinterpreting my post. C’mon man. I acknowledge that it isn’t meeting Disney’s expectations. Clearly, they thought it would increase bookings more than it has.

But his post was stating ‘no one wants to go/no one is entertained.’ Which is simply not true.

That is my point, that the extreme views that it’s a complete failure on the ground don’t reflect what I observed or experienced or really, just reality in general. I enjoyed my experience even if it’s not a perfect land. But then what is?

My view on SWGE is somewhere towards the middle along the scale of pixie dust to total doom and gloom. I don’t think it’ll be a ‘abject’ failure for Disney in the long run (DHS has too much need for that), but the launch was certainly botched.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom