News Star Wars Galaxy's Edge opening day reports - Disney's Hollywood Studios

ImperfectPixie

I'm sorry but you are part of that echo chamber as well. "He's dead at this point in time." "He can't be in the land, it doesn't make any sense!" It could have made all the sense in the world. People need to stop arguing that point. One simple answer would have been a force cave meet and greet or show like the jedi training. It really isn't that difficult. Time will tell what side of this argument wins. But I'm inclined to side with the land has flaws and I believe Disney will add things like Vader and a bigger OT presence. It's never a wise choice to limit your reach.
See...I think part of the problem is that they've locked-in so hard on such a specific time-line. That and the entertainment cuts, and especially disallowing costumes - that's a core part of what makes immersion fun...people don't want to be limited or (like what is said will happen in the new resort) given cheap loaner costumes. No one who goes to Comic-Con or a renaissance faire gives two craps about whether they see more than one Vader or Spock or King Arthur...they just want an opportunity to get dressed up and play-act and be entertained. People who attend Comic-Con and ren-faires know full well they're overpaying for merch/food/drink, but they don't care and drop a fortune anyway because the stuff they aren't paying for makes it worth it. The merch is another mistake - they need to make all the SW merch available in Batuu only.

RobWDW1971

I'm sorry but you are part of that echo chamber as well. "He's dead at this point in time." "He can't be in the land, it doesn't make any sense!" It could have made all the sense in the world. People need to stop arguing that point. One simple answer would have been a force cave meet and greet or show like the jedi training. It really isn't that difficult. Time will tell what side of this argument wins. But I'm inclined to side with the land has flaws and I believe Disney will add things like Vader and a bigger OT presence. It's never a wise choice to limit your reach.

They need to finish the sentence in that argument. "It doesn't make sense....because WDI made fundamentally poor creative choices that created this ridiculously limiting situation".

They act as if Congress decreed the only Star Wars Land that could be built was in a chosen location and time period. It was a terrible creative choice for such an expansive brand and now we are stuck to rationalize for the next couple of years until they give up the premise and flood the land with characters from all eras and blast the Star Wars music.

When I was there yesterday, I was walking by the abandoned mechanics area with the rusted, broken speeder, etc. and overheard a confused, disappointed 10 year old staring at the deserted set piece say "Where is everybody?"

Exactly.

Hopscotch, anyone?

Timmay

Come on... you had to crack a smile a little. It was funny seeing a picture of Vader looking for Galaxy’s Edge on the map...and being sad because he can’t get in. That’s funny.View attachment 413894

Man you are really into this hard Disney immersion sell. Good for you!
So...you’re trying to convince people that you’re post was funny...when nothing in it is accurate? I don’t see a sad Darth Vader at all.

LSLS

Because he is dead at the point in time in which the land is set. You knew this but yet you still have to ask pointless questions that do not bring anything further to the table. At this point we are well past being in an echo chamber when you are just screaming the same point over and over again. I would say get over it but I know you won't.

Bright Suns!

So this got me thinking. This land is supposed to be super into immersion. I'm going to assume Kylo is defeated in the Episode 9 by someone, somehow. So, does Kylo still walk around? Will they simply just explain the immersion aspect is into a planet at a specific time period?

ImperfectPixie

They need to finish the sentence in that argument. "It doesn't make sense....because WDI made fundamentally poor creative choices that created this ridiculously limiting situation".

They act as if Congress decreed the only Star Wars Land that could be built was in a chosen location and time period. It was a terrible creative choice for such an expansive brand and now we are stuck to rationalize for the next couple of years until they give up the premise and flood the land with characters from all eras and blast the Star Wars music.

When I was there yesterday, I was walking by the abandoned mechanics area with the rusted, broken speeder, etc. and overheard a confused, disappointed 10 year old staring at the deserted set piece say "Where is everybody?"

Exactly.

Hopscotch, anyone?
I think the hopscotch is a tiny step in the right direction.

Seriously...so many missed opportunities. They should have known from the planning stages that running a land like this would need massive staffing. Have none of the people who made decisions regarding this land ever visited a renaissance faire? Create a "currency" that we trade dollars for to purchase food/drink and pay to play games to win cheap novelties that we can then trade with Jawas for other little doodads. Why doesn't Kylo Ren catch Rey once in a while, then she escapes and recruits guests to help her hide? Why aren't Finn and BB8 asking guests to help them find a part they need to repair the Falcon? Why isn't there an epic battle between the First Order and Resistance that draws guests in and makes them choose a side to root for? (Think SW version of the jousting tournaments at a ren-faire.) Why aren't there random shoot-outs between the two factions that guests can play a part in (simple laser-tag, people). Why isn't there a guy outside the droid shop building a droid to draw people in? Why isn't there a "holographic" chess board people can play on? Or a gambling den where we can pay an ante to play the card game Lando lost the Falcon playing or the dice game from the prequels?

Anyone who thinks you can have any level of immersion without allowing guests to wear their own costumes and without providing entertainment has no idea what the word "immersion" means.

trainplane3

Why doesn't Kylo Ren catch Rey once in a while, then she escapes and recruits guests to help her hide?
3TPwrxY.jpg

Why aren't Finn and BB8 asking guests to help them find a part they need to repair the Falcon?
3TPwrxY.jpg

Why isn't there an epic battle between the First Order and Resistance that draws guests in and makes them choose a side to root for?
3TPwrxY.jpg

Why aren't there random shoot-outs between the two factions that guests can play a part in (simple laser-tag, people).
3TPwrxY.jpg

Why isn't there a guy outside the droid shop building a droid to draw people in?
3TPwrxY.jpg

Why isn't there a "holographic" chess board people can play on?
3TPwrxY.jpg

Or a gambling den where we can pay an ante to play the card game Lando lost the Falcon playing or the dice game from the prequels?
3TPwrxY.jpg

Alright now that I'm done crap posting, I agree with that stuff. There should be a bunch of small activities that tie into the land and make it feel alive. Things that just happen randomly and people become a part of. Something that doesn't require a 60 day FP reservation, a deposit on my credit card, and a 30 minute line that I have to wait in for some reason.

From when the land was announced and they were bragging about being immersed, I was really looking forward to it. I don't do the whole roleplay thing but I was expecting this to be the thing that pulled me into it. After seeing the Big Thunder Ranch (I think it was there?) roleplay... test thing they were doing in DL, I was really looking forward to it.

Pandora? The world is the wildlife so you don't really need characters walking around. The "animal" sounds make it feel alive. The mechsuit pilot is a nice touch. On a trip last year, while the mech was out, I was walking through the small paths and there was a "researcher" (mech pilot without the mech) talking to a few kids about the plants they were by. Pointing out detail, explaining how they grow, and where to find more like them. That kind of stuff is great.

Little things add up very fast. In the world of Star Wars you need more then a stage show that is only a intro for a glorified roaming meet and greet, some randoms banging wrenches on props, and a lady sneaking around occasionally interacting with guests. Everyone expects more in the land. Get guests involved with something more then a cell phone game. Get more then a single random kid involved with something (yes I'm looking at all the social media posts of Rebel lady running around with a single kid and playing the cell phone game). I don't care what characters they use, just use more of them. If they're sticking to a set time period then stick with it and bring more characters/creatures out from that specific time period.

Man, what a wild ride of a post.

ImperfectPixie

3TPwrxY.jpg

3TPwrxY.jpg

3TPwrxY.jpg

3TPwrxY.jpg

3TPwrxY.jpg

3TPwrxY.jpg

3TPwrxY.jpg

Alright now that I'm done crap posting, I agree with that stuff. There should be a bunch of small activities that tie into the land and make it feel alive. Things that just happen randomly and people become a part of. Something that doesn't require a 60 day FP reservation, a deposit on my credit card, and a 30 minute line that I have to wait in for some reason.

From when the land was announced and they were bragging about being immersed, I was really looking forward to it. I don't do the whole roleplay thing but I was expecting this to be the thing that pulled me into it. After seeing the Big Thunder Ranch (I think it was there?) roleplay... test thing they were doing in DL, I was really looking forward to it.

Pandora? The world is the wildlife so you don't really need characters walking around. The "animal" sounds make it feel alive. The mechsuit pilot is a nice touch. On a trip last year, while the mech was out, I was walking through the small paths and there was a "researcher" (mech pilot without the mech) talking to a few kids about the plants they were by. Pointing out detail, explaining how they grow, and where to find more like them. That kind of stuff is great.

Little things add up very fast. In the world of Star Wars you need more then a stage show that is only a intro for a glorified roaming meet and greet, some randoms banging wrenches on props, and a lady sneaking around occasionally interacting with guests. Everyone expects more in the land. Get guests involved with something more then a cell phone game. Get more then a single random kid involved with something (yes I'm looking at all the social media posts of Rebel lady running around with a single kid and playing the cell phone game). I don't care what characters they use, just use more of them. If they're sticking to a set time period then stick with it and bring more characters/creatures out from that specific time period.

Man, what a wild ride of a post.
They need to send the main decision-makers to a renaissance faire - that's the type of immersion and experiences people want...just based in Star Wars instead of the real past.

Last edited:

Mickeyboof

“I will tell you that Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge has exceeded every expectation we’ve had,” Chapek said. “There is no there there to this being anything but a runaway success.”

brb1006

“I will tell you that Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge has exceeded every expectation we’ve had,” Chapek said. “There is no there there to this being anything but a runaway success.”
View attachment 414027

Also WDW and DL got new leadership.

erasure fan1

So this got me thinking. This land is supposed to be super into immersion. I'm going to assume Kylo is defeated in the Episode 9 by someone, somehow. So, does Kylo still walk around? Will they simply just explain the immersion aspect is into a planet at a specific time period?
If you track my posts back, I've argued this from the start. So all the arguments as to why you can't have Vader and crew because of canon, go out the window post ep9. The RotR ride will feature kylo and crew. There is no chance Disney will change the ride to reflect "current" star wars. So the supporters of Disneys decisions on this one, can only argue "immersion" until the end of December. Maybe through January if the movie does great.

gmajew

Premium Member
I dont think they'd go crazy, but to the vast majority of humanity (non Star Wars fans), I think they would have a passing familiarity with Vader or Leia actors. The equivalent of getting a photo with "the Epcot ball" to show you've been to WDW. I dont think there's much resonance with Kylo or Rey at this point (though they certainly have their fans, I'm saying compared to non Star Wars civilians).

But by this logic you shouldn't want Rey walking around, but she seems to be one of the more appreciated aspects.
I personally don’t care if she is walking around or not.... I think the greatest of Star Wars is that so many unknown creatures etc can be those walking around.

mikejs78

Premium Member
Yeah...Last Jedi is terrible. Is what it is. I don’t feel bad about disliking that film and it’s fun to talk about the complete waste of time that film is. But...
Hot take: TLJ is a very underrated film with complex themes, and will be one of those things that becomes more appreciated with the passage of time (much like Empire Strikes Back, which was roundly panned in its time).

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes
Hot take: TLJ is a very underrated film with complex themes, and will be one of those things that becomes more appreciated with the passage of time (much like Empire Strikes Back, which was roundly panned in its time).

No, no, no. The bitter people that hate it now will always hate it. It totally ruined their childhood (30-40s), ruined Star Wars and ruined Galaxy’s Edge because it reminds them of it.

It will never be as classic as this:

CinematicFusion

Hot take: Phantom Menace is a very underrated film with complex themes, and will be one of those things that becomes more appreciated with the passage of time (much like Empire Strikes Back, which was roundly panned in its time).

CinematicFusion

No, no, no. The bitter people that hate it now will always hate it. It totally ruined their childhood (30-40s), ruined Star Wars and ruined Galaxy’s Edge because it reminds them of it.

It will never be as classic as this:
View attachment 414212
Another Hot take: Prequel Trilogy is a very underrated film series with complex themes, and will be one of those things that becomes more appreciated with the passage of time (much like Empire Strikes Back, which was roundly panned in its time).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom