News Star Wars Galaxy's Edge opening day reports - Disney's Hollywood Studios

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes
You don’t need blue cat people roaming around Pandora to feel immersed. You don’t need cowboys in Frontierland or spacemen in Tomorrowland to feel immersed. Why does this land need costumes and characters so bad?

Because it was hinted at and shown in concept art and it gives the 5 1/2 people here that would’ve hated GE anyway another reason to whine about it.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Because it was hinted at and shown in concept art and it gives the 5 1/2 people here that would’ve hated GE anyway another reason to whine about it.
Boy...you’re taking the “last Johnson” approach with criticism?

I don’t share the hardline criticism of this... but to try to do the “5 angry man boys” on this one with documented terrible attendance, financial losses, and desperate scramble at Disney reminds me of something...

...oh yeah, only five people hated last Johnson too...what’s the chronology since? Do we need highlights?

I agree that extreme reactions need tempering...but you’re better than to fan the flames

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes
Boy...you’re taking the “last Johnson” approach with criticism?

I don’t share the hardline criticism of this... but to try to do the “5 angry man boys” on this one with documented terrible attendance, financial losses, and desperate scramble at Disney reminds me of something...

...oh yeah, only five people hated last Johnson too...what’s the chronology since? Do we need highlights?

I agree that extreme reactions need tempering...but you’re better than to fan the flames

Just stop. You’re almost as bad as the ramp guy.

Last edited:

ImperfectPixie

You don’t need blue cat people roaming around Pandora to feel immersed. You don’t need cowboys in Frontierland or spacemen in Tomorrowland to feel immersed. Why does this land need costumes and characters so bad?
I'm not saying I need them personally. I'm saying the masses that Disney was hoping to draw are likely being turned off by what I mentioned above. I love getting dressed up for stuff, but it's not make or break for me.

KevinPage

As a local I’m loving the lower than expected crowds. Will be making my 4th visit to SWGE within the next week.

Hoping the initial grand opening peeled off a decent chunk of people that will make 12/05/19 the same (or slightly less) than it was on 8/29.

We all thought it was going to be a mob scene for a decade and EVERYONE, literally EVERYONE was wrong. So it’s fun to see the armchair experts act all smart and know “why” this occurred, when they didn’t know jack squat a few months ago.

If this causes Chapek to get the axe, even better. Then it’s an even bigger success then we all could have hoped for. 🤩🤩🤩

RobWDW1971

Why thank you for asking! :)

Because Tomorrowland and Frontierland (and New Orleans Square, Fantasyland, Main Street, etc.) are filled with music, activity and whimsy.

They have kinetic energy like the Rockets Jets, Peoplemover, Big Thunder Trains, Mark Twain steamboat, canoes going by, etc., have themed music playing (ironically Star Wars in Tomorrowland, etc), characters like Woody and Jessie and (again ironically) Boba Fett walking around. They all have a charming and inviting scale and tone.

On the other hand, SWGE is a dull, depressing, lifeless, abandoned movie set with beige bombed out buildings, rusted static droids, and closed doors to nowhere.

The land is a deserted background waiting for the roaming aliens, droids, bounty hunters, and Jedi to populate it and bring it to life. However, they are not there.

The other lands are visual and sensory treats that are only enhanced by the presence of characters, not solely dependent on them to make the fundamental concept work.

KevinPage

Why thank you for asking! :)

Because Tomorrowland and Frontierland (and New Orleans Square, Fantasyland, Main Street, etc.) are filled with music, activity and whimsy.

They have kinetic energy like the Rockets Jets, Peoplemover, Big Thunder Trains, Mark Twain steamboat, canoes going by, etc., have themed music playing (ironically Star Wars in Tomorrowland, etc), characters like Woody and Jessie and (again ironically) Boba Fett walking around. They all have a charming and inviting scale and tone.

On the other hand, SWGE is a dull, depressing, lifeless, abandoned movie set with beige bombed out buildings, rusted static droids, and closed doors to nowhere.

The land is a deserted background waiting for the roaming aliens, droids, bounty hunters, and Jedi to populate it and bring it to life. However, they are not there.

The other lands are visual and sensory treats that are only enhanced by the presence of characters, not solely dependent on them to make the fundamental concept work.

So basically you require flashy, pretty vibrant colors. Gotcha 😜

KevinPage

If the choice is flashy, pretty vibrant colors or static beige concrete. Yes.

I think WHENEVER we get more characters roaming around (and hopefully droids), their varied colors will naturally help break up the color sameness a bit.

But I do find it strange that many people who complain about Batuu whine that it should have been TATOOINE (same color) or HOTH (all white).

The Star Wars saga isn’t know for its overly colorful or varied color palettes

matt9112

I rather have a deeper RPG system then a five second swing your wand around experience. Nothing wrong with a quick experience but, I prefer a deeper system.

Yeah i want more layers of effort on my vacation too......both have merits but the get up and go and not being glued to your phone nature of the wands is nicer imho. Except for checking reservations and fastpass i try to keep my phone out of use. Im trying to escape reality.

matt9112

You mean announced....in formal settings literally had parks chair bobby say its happening....you act like the only droid or alien we saw was in some obscure artwork that we could say is artisitic liberty. Get a grip these were legitimate features advertised to the masses.

RobWDW1971

You mean announced....in formal settings literally had parks chair bobby say its happening....you act like the only droid or alien we saw was in some obscure artwork that we could say is artisitic liberty. Get a grip these were legitimate features advertised to the masses.

There's an alien walking behind the family staring at the Falcon in the ad!!!

Because even the marketing people are smart enough to know that's what a "Star Wars" land looks like.

A84E24C2-60A0-49F0-8786-9CE5DE340F70.jpeg

Dunston

Because even the marketing people are smart enough to know that's what a "Star Wars" land looks like.

View attachment 414457
Idk if this is an unpopular or even correct opinion but I think that if it was a boy instead of a girl saying "I waited my whole life for this" in the Falcon the ad would be more effective. Fact of the matter is that more boys than girls like Star Wars.

Surferboy567

Idk if this is an unpopular or even correct opinion but I think that if it was a boy instead of a girl saying "I waited my whole life for this" in the Falcon the ad would be more effective. Fact of the matter is that more boys than girls like Star Wars.

Yeah...not trying to be nasty to the girl but I cringed when she opened her mouth. This is coming from someone who adores Batuu also you are totally right about the whole girls thing...not sure why it’s bad for a guy to be the person to deliver this line because I think it would be much more effective coming from him (also he looks like he has lived much longer so the line has more weight).

KevinPage

View attachment 414457

I’m still gonna contend that:

1. The land opened EARLIER THAN PLANNED, because:

a. Make more $$$ now & get a 2nd grand opening like crowd for ROTR

b. Hopefully spur an increase in industry wide flatter attendance than normal (which means more $$$)

c. Will make the opening of ROTR less of a nightmare of people, thereby keeping guest satisfaction higher, keeping people spending $$$

d. Save money on performers/shows cause $$$ and land is jammed with people that it’s not needed and kinda gets in the way.

They can easily spin this two ways:

- we promised characters/shows, we now have it by the FALL/WINTER (original opening date)

- we listened to guests and giving them more of what they want

Now I’m not saying I trust management or have any delusions that a corporate monolith has any pure intentions. BUT maybe there was a fraction of truth (albiet small) that they figured they could budget those additional things for the next quarter?

RobWDW1971

I’m still gonna contend that:

1. The land opened EARLIER THAN PLANNED, because:

a. Make more $$$ now & get a 2nd grand opening like crowd for ROTR

b. Hopefully spur an increase in industry wide flatter attendance than normal (which means more $$$)

c. Will make the opening of ROTR less of a nightmare of people, thereby keeping guest satisfaction higher, keeping people spending $$$

d. Save money on performers/shows cause $$$ and land is jammed with people that it’s not needed and kinda gets in the way.

They can easily spin this two ways:

- we promised characters/shows, we now have it by the FALL/WINTER (original opening date)

- we listened to guests and giving them more of what they want

Now I’m not saying I just management or have any delusions that a corporate monolith has any pure intentions. BUT maybe there was a fraction of truth (albiet small) that they figured they could budget those additional things for the next quarter?

Which would mean they intentionally lied about the land being open, intentionally misrepresented the experience in the ad campaign, and in a world of buzz and FOMO allowed millions of full paying guests to experience and broadcast to their personal networks about a dull, depressing, subpar experience.

Can't say that's a great strategy.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom