News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

D

Deleted member 107043

Are we absolutely certain that the huge mound of dirt is for a building? I've never seen anything like it as a step before constructing a building before. Judging from this picture it looks to be about 3 stories high or more.

DSC_4493-X3.jpg

Old Mouseketeer

Are we absolutely certain that the huge mound of dirt is for a building? I've never seen anything like it as a step before constructing a building before. Judging from this picture it looks to be about 3 stories high or more.

DSC_4493-X3.jpg

This was answered previously. Someone with construction experience said this is common practice to condense the ground before laying the foundation. A fellow Disney aficionado with construction background confirmed this to me. I suspect they did NOT do this on the footprint of the Mickey and Friends structure and that may be the reason for the structural problems there. I have been told by someone involved with the construction that Disneyland executives were warned, but ignored it (because the consequences fell outside their three-year employment contract).

This huge mound lies over the site identified in the other site's plot plans as the location of the Falcon attraction show building. My guess is that they will re-use this dirt on the site of the Battle Escape show building in the foreground of this picture, but time will tell.

FerretAfros

DSC_4493-X3.jpg
I'm not entirely sure I believe the story about the dirt pile being used for compaction. I work in the construction/design industry, and that's not a technique that I'm familiar with; if compaction is required, it's almost always done with pile drivers or compaction rollers attached to vehicles. Piling up dirt on a site seems like a very inefficient way to do it

Given the lack of fixed points in the photos, it's hard to tell what's going on, but I think it might be the excess dirt that is being excavated from elsewhere on the site. I remember hearing that the massive battle-attraction show building would be partially subgrade to fit the scale of the surroundings, similar to Space Mountain and Soarin'. If that's the case, there would be a lot of soil that needs to go somewhere (along with the former railroad/ROA berm) before getting regarded on the site or trucked off to other job sites that need fill, so that could explain why this pile is so large

From what I can see in the photos (which are tough to read on a monitor), it looks like the pile is too far east to be one of the Star Wars buildings. The both attractions will more-or-less back up to Disneyland Drive, right? More likely, it seems to be located on/near the site for future development, which is undoubtedly being used for construction staging in the interim
I suspect they did NOT do this on the footprint of the Mickey and Friends structure and that may be the reason for the structural problems there. I have been told by someone involved with the construction that Disneyland executives were warned, but ignored it (because the consequences fell outside their three-year employment contract).
Have these alleged structural problems ever been confirmed by a reliable source? I thought they were pure urban legends, and given that the structure hasn't collapsed yet or had a major retrofit, I'm still very skeptical. Yes, the floor is a little wonky in places, but that's intentional for drainage.

All large structures (big box store roofs, etc) have similarly sloped surfaces, but aren't noticeable because you're not driving across them. Traditional parking decks are a series of ramps, so drainage takes care of itself; M&F's layout with discrete levels is a little unique, and required additional consideration for drainage. Other than some strange traffic patterns (including the original layout that was quickly revised due to ped/auto conflicts), nothing about the parking structure's design has ever seemed awry to me

Old Mouseketeer

I'm not entirely sure I believe the story about the dirt pile being used for compaction. I work in the construction/design industry, and that's not a technique that I'm familiar with; if compaction is required, it's almost always done with pile drivers or compaction rollers attached to vehicles. Piling up dirt on a site seems like a very inefficient way to do it

Given the lack of fixed points in the photos, it's hard to tell what's going on, but I think it might be the excess dirt that is being excavated from elsewhere on the site. I remember hearing that the massive battle-attraction show building would be partially subgrade to fit the scale of the surroundings, similar to Space Mountain and Soarin'. If that's the case, there would be a lot of soil that needs to go somewhere (along with the former railroad/ROA berm) before getting regarded on the site or trucked off to other job sites that need fill, so that could explain why this pile is so large

From what I can see in the photos (which are tough to read on a monitor), it looks like the pile is too far east to be one of the Star Wars buildings. The both attractions will more-or-less back up to Disneyland Drive, right? More likely, it seems to be located on/near the site for future development, which is undoubtedly being used for construction staging in the interim

Have these alleged structural problems ever been confirmed by a reliable source? I thought they were pure urban legends, and given that the structure hasn't collapsed yet or had a major retrofit, I'm still very skeptical. Yes, the floor is a little wonky in places, but that's intentional for drainage.

According to the plot plan on the other site this mound is basically on the place for the Falcon show building. The supposed expansion pad clearly lies to the East (next to ToonTown) and is functioning as the staging area.

As to the Mickey and Friends structural problems, it has been previously reported online that CMs have talked about structural repairs. I don't think it's an urban legend.
All large structures (big box store roofs, etc) have similarly sloped surfaces, but aren't noticeable because you're not driving across them. Traditional parking decks are a series of ramps, so drainage takes care of itself; M&F's layout with discrete levels is a little unique, and required additional consideration for drainage. Other than some strange traffic patterns (including the original layout that was quickly revised due to ped/auto conflicts), nothing about the parking structure's design has ever seemed awry to me

Old Mouseketeer

Apparently I goofed in trying to reply to this post. I'll try again:

According to the plot plan on the other site this mound is basically on the place for the Falcon show building. The supposed expansion pad clearly lies to the East (next to ToonTown) and is functioning as the staging area.

As to the Mickey and Friends structural problems, it has been previously reported online that CMs have talked about structural repairs. I don't think it's an urban legend.

D

Deleted member 107043

According to the plot plan on the other site this mound is basically on the place for the Falcon show building.

So then is it being stored there for relocation at some point, possibly for the reconstruction of the berm around the ROA?

Phroobar

The Frozen show building is made out of a large earthen mound just like the ancient mound builders when they built their theme parks in England and on the east coast. One Disney architect stated, "We are going back to basics on our new projects. We are hoping this ground breaking technique will outlast the pyramids and will be maintenance free. Besides, you can't beat the view from up here."

mound.jpg

rle4lunch

Glad I'm not the only one who didn't know. It took a lot of courage to ask that question. LOL

most of the time they'll take the extra 'fill' dirt to another site that might need it or to a dump site location. Maybe they're building underneath the mound of dirt. Perhaps a secret compound that will only be able to be accessed by Club 33 members? ;)

thequirkysarah

The giant mound of earth for compaction is pretty common in parts of our city. There are two suburbs that are built on some pretty questionable ground (in the flood plane). Before building any towers they have to compact the ground for nearly a year. It is pretty serious, scientists believe that if we have a really bad earthquake portions of the ground in those suburbs will just liquefy. But, from what I understand, Disneyland isn't built on ground as questionably stable as that of our suburbs.

So, it could be compaction, or it could just be storage of dirt until they remove it.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom