News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

Stevek

Hope you're having fun! Have some fun for me too!
It was a very long, but mostly fun 13 hours at the park. This morning, my legs and back are reminding my why I don't do 13 hours at a Disney park anymore.

For the most part, crowds were manageable. Rode pretty much everything we wanted to, primarily with FP, and and saw both Disneyland Forever and the last showing of PTN. Was also able to ride Soarin' over California one last time since yesterday was it's last day of operation before SOTH takes over. Hyperspace Mountain was fun, the special effects i.e. Tie Fighters/X Wings/Imperial Cruisers projected on walls looked pretty meh but the SW music score during the ride is a home run. Didn't see Frozen, wife and I both decided it wasn't a priority.

The couple of bad things: DCA had multiple rides down at the same time, Racers, Grizzly & Mermaid and I noticed a few others down during the day via the app. Racers had a 120 minute wait for much of the afternoon after it came back up and they had to regulate guest entry...there was literally nobody in the main queue as they were trying to accommodate FP folks first and managing the queue at the main entry. Was a mess...but we still got on in about 20-25 minutes via single rider. A couple of beers made everything a bit more bearable. #thanksshanghai (did I do that right?)

Crowd control during the PTN parade and fireworks continues to be a fiasco, one that they will apparently never solve. We were stuck at that abomination called the entry to Tomorrowland as PTN was finishing, couldn't move, just a nightmare and makes me never want to be at the park during parade time...and I love the nighttime parades. It's a bummer as we generally had zero problems during the years of Remember and Parade of Dreams finding good spots to watch...yes, crowds were still a mess but not like this #thanksapprogram

Overall, fun day. Happy that we didn't pay to get in so that made things much more bearable. Girls and their friends had a blast as well though I'm guessing they'll all be asleep until 11am this morning, I wish I was.

D

Deleted member 107043

We were stuck at that abomination called the entry to Tomorrowland as PTN was finishing, couldn't move, just a nightmare and makes me never want to be at the park during parade time...and I love the nighttime parades.

Tip: Watch the parade and fireworks from near Town Square and as close to the DLRR depot as possible. Once the fireworks end head to the Railroad and make your escape by train. This plan worked beautifully for us.

Stevek

Tip: Watch the parade and fireworks from near Town Square and as close to the DLRR depot as possible. Once the fireworks end head to the Railroad and make your escape by train. This plan worked beautifully for us.
Yeah, we used to do that but no train right now and we had to find a spot for the PTN 10:45 showing since the 8:50 show was a crowd cluster. We were able to find a hub spot for DL4evah' and PTN so once we got out of the mess, things were fine.

Phroobar

If you must see the fireworks and PTN and don't plan on leaving immediately after, I usually see both by IASW right next to the gate where the parade enters. Most people don't stand there.

GiveMeTheMusic

At the risk of my strategy getting out, and this only works if you're not seeing the first PTN of the night - be on the west side of the park before parade time (Adventureland, NOS, etc) and make your way to Jolly Holiday as the parade is arriving at the hub. Slip into the Candy Palace via Coke Corner and do some VERY INTENSE candy shopping (or at least pretend candy shopping) while the parade continues. Stay toward the rear of the store but keep an eye on the street outside. When the finale float approaches, work your way out onto the curb behind the mob - guest control will have lifted the ropes at this point. Then as soon as Mickey's butt is behind you, you stream into the middle of the street for prime Forever viewing. Once it's over, you can select a spot for the second PTN if you're so inclined.

Stevek

At the risk of my strategy getting out, and this only works if you're not seeing the first PTN of the night - be on the west side of the park before parade time (Adventureland, NOS, etc) and make your way to Jolly Holiday as the parade is arriving at the hub. Slip into the Candy Palace via Coke Corner and do some VERY INTENSE candy shopping (or at least pretend candy shopping) while the parade continues. Stay toward the rear of the store but keep an eye on the street outside. When the finale float approaches, work your way out onto the curb behind the mob - guest control will have lifted the ropes at this point. Then as soon as Mickey's butt is behind you, you stream into the middle of the street for prime Forever viewing. Once it's over, you can select a spot for the second PTN if you're so inclined.
99% of the time, that's about where we stood for Remember. We were just north of that for our first viewing of DLF back in October. Unfortunately that we had the Main Street buildings behind us so we missed most of the projections or had to turn around. But it was a great spot for the fireworks portions.

Stevek

If you must see the fireworks and PTN and don't plan on leaving immediately after, I usually see both by IASW right next to the gate where the parade enters. Most people don't stand there.
I prefer to see the fireworks with the Castle in front as you lose alot of pyro or have to look back and forth between the castle and backstage to see all of the shots. But that is a great spot for the parade. We used to watch Christmas Fantasy there all the time, especially with Small World Holiday lighting going on.

Curious Constance

Do I have your permission to publish this and make millions of dollars from it?

D

Deleted member 107043

Yeah, we used to do that but no train right now and we had to find a spot for the PTN 10:45 showing since the 8:50 show was a crowd cluster. We were able to find a hub spot for DL4evah' and PTN so once we got out of the mess, things were fine.

Duh! I completely forgot that there's no train at DL right now. Ugh, that sucks.

Old Mouseketeer

The Frozen show building is made out of a large earthen mound just like the ancient mound builders when they built their theme parks in England and on the east coast. One Disney architect stated, "We are going back to basics on our new projects. We are hoping this ground breaking technique will outlast the pyramids and will be maintenance free. Besides, you can't beat the view from up here."

mound.jpg

MMMmmmm...I love the smell of snark in the morning!

Old Mouseketeer

The giant mound of earth for compaction is pretty common in parts of our city. There are two suburbs that are built on some pretty questionable ground (in the flood plane). Before building any towers they have to compact the ground for nearly a year. It is pretty serious, scientists believe that if we have a really bad earthquake portions of the ground in those suburbs will just liquefy. But, from what I understand, Disneyland isn't built on ground as questionably stable as that of our suburbs.

So, it could be compaction, or it could just be storage of dirt until they remove it.

Actually, the ground is very sandy. I grew up two miles South of the Disneyland Hotel and my father cursed the sandy soil (and the hard water) every day he did yard work.

D

Deleted member 107043

Misleading title there. The chalet was not demolished to make way for Star Wars land. Star Wars construction is not going in there. The most you'll see is some landscaping to help hide the tunnel underneath.

I thought so.

jbradway

DSC_6020-X3.jpg

From Dateline Disneyland. He puts them on smugmug before editing them for their Monday update.
I noticed that they took some of the dirt and filled in the section nearest the camera. It's a few feet higher than last week. Maybe they had some contaminated soil to haul off and used their big pile of clean fill dirt to replace. Makes a bit of sense because there were a lot of vehicle shops that were on that soil. May have had some contamination.

The other thing is that it looks like you can see a lot going on with the area just below the theater. It looks like they are building the rail bed. And it's looks pretty obvious where there will be a path under a railroad bridge.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom