News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

D

Deleted member 107043

The thing that most grabs me in these photos is just how big Tomorrowland is.

Yet about half of it is inaccessible. It's an outdated use of space for a park that draws more than twice the number of visitors annually as it did when the current Tomorrowland was laid out in 1967.

Last edited by a moderator:

Old Mouseketeer

As I understand it, the walls are to help create flat / more level planting areas for trees to grow. The older trees were too large and with wind a hazard for falling. The new magnolia trees are location appropriate and will look great as they grow in.

I haven't seen this. But if they were at the end closest to the RR station, they would be in the way of the best option for improving wheelchair access to HM behind the Mausoleum Wall where the Emergency Exit Door is, going through to the FastPass distribution.

BrianLo

Original Poster
i-hn3H2Fv-O.png

New Mint Crocodile photos from today.

What I really find interesting though is all the markers (and in some places spray paint) we can see in the ROA/Big Thunder areas going on. There is also what looks like some purposeful differences in grading going on there to match the entry portals that will need to be on the same grade as existing DL.

I've very roughly outlined a lot of the markers in one of the pictures, which you can start to get a rough visual on sort of where the rock work/train is going.

What's also interesting is that I'm pretty sure the turquoise rectangle is going to be part of the Fantasmic storage building (probably the pool for all the floats). Maybe it's just the outline of the building itself.

27606483606_0f715f86a6_o.png

And for fun this is one I drew all over previously from late April. Mostly for you guys to see quickly how much is changed and a bit of a placement of where the old ROA and rail used to run that I marked up...... *Somewhat Correctly...*

26608497705_58273b31d8_o.png

SSG

From Mouseplanet:

Sometimes Disney files construction permits with vague descriptions that make it hard to guess what work is planned. Not so with a permit recently filed to build a new shed on the Disneyland Railroad route behind Frontierland. The permit reads, "purpose of this shed is for train vehicle to move through while blocking the guest view of the back of house while riding the train." Disney has also filed permits for a new 1,200 -foot-long, 20-foot-high wall of rock work as part of the project.

Old Mouseketeer

There's a new detail that may not have been reported yet. Demolition has begun at 1515 Manchester. This is the old dental lab building that was presumably going to be used (in part) by Imagineering, replacing the prefab buildings NW of Indy that are now home to the Horticulture offices.

I'm assuming that Disney has changed their plans for the East parking structure. What we last heard was that they were going to build Phase I on the Pubaa Lot and the 1585 Manchester building immediately to the North. This demolition suggests that someone had the sense to realize that they are better off keeping Pumbaa open while they build Phase I on the 1585 and 1515 lots.

The open questions are whether USCIS has vacated 1585 yet, what will happen to the Carousel Motel, and will there be an overpass over Harbor Bl and speedramps.

Old Mouseketeer

There's a new detail that may not have been reported yet. Demolition has begun at 1515 Manchester. This is the old dental lab building that was presumably going to be used (in part) by Imagineering, replacing the prefab buildings NW of Indy that are now home to the Horticulture offices.

I'm assuming that Disney has changed their plans for the East parking structure. What we last heard was that they were going to build Phase I on the Pubaa Lot and the 1585 Manchester building immediately to the North. This demolition suggests that someone had the sense to realize that they are better off keeping Pumbaa open while they build Phase I on the 1585 and 1515 lots.

The open questions are whether USCIS has vacated 1585 yet, what will happen to the Carousel Motel, and will there be an overpass over Harbor Bl and speedramps.

P.S. No Bothans were harmed in acquiring this information--you can see it from the street. LOL

Phroobar

I could see them keeping the Carrousel motel and having a bridge right next to those room doors. Imagine people walking pass you motel room all day long as they walk over to Disneyland.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom