News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

Earl Sweatpants

I agree, but it also says something about Disney's inability to keep people's attention in this modern age where people have access to all sorts of information and entertainment right in their pockets.
Ugh.....that's a heartbreaking statement. Give me the Haunted Mansion any day vs. scrolling Instagram or watching a 30-second viral video.

Honestly, if you're that addicted to your cell phone that you can't set it aside for 20 minutes to ride a ride, then that says way more about you than it ever could about Disney. /rant

Last edited:

britain

OK, there are some practical issues with guests getting on and off the attraction. Some have mentioned disabled folks will have difficulty with this, as will younger riders. One simple—but major—problem will be making sure people are strapped back into the ride when they get back on. Disney is pretty meticulous about having people pull on the restraint before the ride starts to show you are secured. How do you do this in the middle of the ride? For liability reasons I can’t imagine they skip this step, so that means doing a check and helping those who aren’t secured. This will slow things down incredibly. It also blows the story of the ride as you supposedly are moving fast to escape the bad guys. Are the notoriously poor shooting stormtroopers blasting at you while cast helps grandpa buckle his seat belt? This sounds ridiculous.

Very good points. I actually suspect that at some point you could be caught, and it is the Stormtroopers that put you in a new speeder, bound for prison. You could then have all the same safety checks necessary, done by imperial officers.

D

Deleted member 107043

But if a fast-paced Star Wars attraction is thrilling enough, it shouldn't have to rely on interactivity to keep riders engaged.

From a standpoint of sustainability it does. There is an entire generation of young people who aren't going to be satisfied going to a theme park sitting in a boat watching robotic pirates or marveling at talking birds and flowers. It's no accident that one of the most popular attractions at DLR today is Toy Story Midway Mania or that Disney may be taking the SW experience to a new level of interactivity.

D

Deleted member 107043

Tbh until we get either official attraction breakdown or an insider with info they can gives us we shouldn't really take much stock in what any of the sites report

You're asking us to be rational and wait until more details are available because maybe these reports are blown out of proportion? Are you nuts? ;)

LieutLaww

Hello There
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
Yes be rational, don't expect the best thing since sliced bread ! Just think of it as a new churro cart so you wont get too hyped up :p

ctrlaltdel

Is anything ever as bad as they make it seem?
I should also say people are seeming to take Micechat on their word here. I actually think this lines up with what we've heard from insiders and this isn't as disastrous as it seems from a capacity standpoint. The more I think about the more I think we will have the main ride we were all envisioning, but getting on and off different ride vehicles will act as a sort of interactive pre-show.

Phroobar

Do you guys really think that Disney would design a ride where getting on and off the ride is not done as fast and efficiently as possible? They are going to have ways to get slower moving guests back on the ride. They could have a car get loaded off to the side before rejoining the group. One thing Disney does well is gets people on and off the ride quickly. Look at Space Mountain. How long does that coaster wait until moving on to seat belt check? It's about a 30 second load/unload time. Now look at Magic Mountain. They average 5-10 minutes load/unload times for most of their coasters. This is mostly due to inept employees screwing around while on the job. You don't have that problem at Disney.

SSG

I suspect this MiceChat description is some Blue-Sky thinking which won’t come to pass as described. Too bad, because it would be great to run on to the sets, maybe trade blaster fire with the Stormtroopers, rush into another vehicle to escape, etc. This would all be fantastic, but I think the practical aspects of getting people through an attraction will prevent this.

Rich T

From a standpoint of sustainability it does. There is an entire generation of young people who aren't going to be satisfied going to a theme park sitting in a boat watching robotic pirates or marveling at talking birds and flowers. It's no accident that one of the most popular attractions at DLR today is Toy Story Midway Mania or that Disney may be taking the SW experience to a new level of interactivity.
I think a well-designed, thrilling ride will stay engaging over a longer span of time than interactive technology/games that can quickly become obsolete (it all comes down to storytelling). Now, in the case of Midway Mania, it's a perfect combo of an ageless carny-game mechanic, lovable characters and fun ride motion... But I don't want that type of experience from every ride, and I think most people would choose ToT or RsR over it if they had to pick one attraction for the day.

What this all boils down to is this: I don't want to "Play-Act" on a ride. EVERRRRRRRRRRRR. :D

ctrlaltdel

I just don't think it's going to be as interactive as MC makes it seem. To expand on one of my points earlier, we could actually get something that is essentially 2/3 rides in one. You are in a battle, are captured, and then must escape. There can be actual ride portions where you are in an LPS RV and in-between you go through a queue as you make your way to the next LPS RV. This may not be possible, but if you are able to keep each ride system separate from each other that could help with capacity. Don't know how practical (or possible) that is, or how much more efficient it would be over returning to the same RV over and over again, but this is one way that this whole on/off shenanigans could work in theory. That being said, this could all be Blue Sky or baseless speculation from Micechat.

D

Deleted member 107043

I actually think this lines up with what we've heard from insiders and this isn't as disastrous as it seems from a capacity standpoint.

Well being the glass half full person that I am I see any added ride capacity to the park as a good thing. In addition SW Land's enormous footprint will help absorb crowds. Yeah, it'll be packed, but that's the way these things always are until the novelty wears off.

TP2000

WOW!

It sounds like a bunch of kids with no understanding for operations designed this thing! And I mean that in the most complimentary, Walt v. Roy way possible. It's the sort of attraction I'd draw on placemats when I was 10! And they're actually building it?!

I think that's a perfect analogy.

D

Deleted member 107043

But I don't want that type of experience from every ride, and I think most people would choose ToT or RsR over it if they had to pick one attraction for the day.

I didn't mean to suggest that every Disneyland ride from here on out should or will be interactive, or that it's an established WDI goal. Just saying that it isn't surprising that the next generation of E tickets have some innovative interactive components designed to actively engage guests. And just wait until MM+ comes to DLR....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom