News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

Old Mouseketeer

I could see several possibilities with this. There could be themed exit ramps and an interior restroom with a holding area for guests to be "reinserted" into the ride/show. Guests with disabilities could actually have their vehicle routed through special rooms that maintain the storyline. With a gigantic building like that with multiple levels, there could be alternate routes of travel. There could be duplicate out-of-vehicle activity areas or even alternative story lines. You could even have an exception command to express exit a vehicle if guests need to leave. A number of alternatives off the top of my head. I have heard nothing from my rebel spies--I hope no Bothans have already been killed.

BrianLo

Original Poster
Re: Ride Capacity

1500 riders is actually fine for DL. It's fairly akin to Radiator Springs Racers, yes the lines are going to be long, no doubt. They'll move though, they just won't fly along.

DL's issue is not ride capacity, it already has ride capacity in spades. DL's issue is simply physical space for guests to occupy. Long lines with oversized queues is kind of a good thing for DL. 6 thousand people waiting between both rides (and out of the physical walkways) is going to be a godsend to the rest of the park.

Now on the other hand, where is ride capacity already a disaster? DHS. This is going to be a huge problem for that park.

Phroobar

I agree. Ride capacity is going to be a problem at DHS since they have a handful of rides. It's going to be miserable there. Disneyland should feel at lot less crowed.

BrianLo

Original Poster
Re: On-and-off privileges?

I think Mice Age used a bad analogy. Best not to think of it like physically getting off the ride to poke at the animatronics. It's sort of like a mid-ride elaborate queue and/or pre-show scene.

The key here being they:
1. Needs to further blend the line between queue and show scenes so that it seems 'worth-while'.
2. Needs to be done in more of an imperceptible way that you are not actually queuing, but can more or less get back onto a ride vehicle within minimal (ie. <1 min or so) wait.

It can also be done one of two ways where you disembark, work your way through a queue/scene and rejoin the vehicles at another load area. Since the number of people being dumped out is exactly matched to the number of people getting back on, the wait should theoretically always be zero at this point. Ride capacity would not be affected in any way if the vehicles continued to cycle. Disabled guests or really anyone could simply choose to just stay on through the unload/load areas

The second way would be to keep your assigned vehicle, which waits for a specified period of time before the CM's 'force' everyone to get back into their vehicles. This logistically is a very hard option to pull off. Since the vehicles are not constantly cycling you would need multiple identical show rooms to have a scene that lasts for 'minutes' enough to justify getting off and on again. Think of this like multiple rooms of Luigi's Rollicking Roadsters load/unload cycle. That requires an awful lot of CM manpower to achieve though, you'd still be sitting around awkwardly for everyone's bars to be checked.

Disabled guests or anyone could just stay seated in their vehicle, although I imagine this would be a bit less enjoyable or one car per room would always be earmarked for disabled guests and would get the most prominent (if not moving) viewpoint.

It's really more like if the Gringott's bank scene, the stretching room, or the tower of terror pre-show rooms occurred mid ride. The trick is that there should not be a massive queue of people waiting on the other side to get on a vehicle again. It needs to be seamless otherwise it would be outrageously frustrating.

I think @marni1971 might have been alluding to all of this pretty recently. He made some off hand comment I recall about how they were blurring the line between queue and ride. I don't think any of us quite caught on to what he meant. He maybe has already commented on this in another thread, I just haven't fully investigated the DHS sub forum yet.

britain

I think another model to refer to could be the Epcot attractions of yesteryear. In the living seas you used to queue up waiting for a film, after that you would queue up waiting for the hydrolaters, after that you would get onto an omnimover and after that you would get to aquarium exhibit space at Seabase Alpha. Then to leave again you would have to travel via another set of hydrolaters.

This MAY provide some sort of operational precedent, but it definitely does not fit action-packed thrills. It feels more appropriate for tour or educational uses, where there is no story reason why we are shuffling groups of people from A to B and then B to C.

Mike S

Re: On-and-off privileges?

I think Mice Age used a bad analogy. Best not to think of it like physically getting off the ride to poke at the animatronics. It's sort of like a mid-ride elaborate queue and/or pre-show scene.

The key here being they:
1. Needs to further blend the line between queue and show scenes so that it seems 'worth-while'.
2. Needs to be done in more of an imperceptible way that you are not actually queuing, but can more or less get back onto a ride vehicle within minimal (ie. <1 min or so) wait.

It can also be done one of two ways where you disembark, work your way through a queue/scene and rejoin the vehicles at another load area. Since the number of people being dumped out is exactly matched to the number of people getting back on, the wait should theoretically always be zero at this point. Ride capacity would not be affected in any way if the vehicles continued to cycle. Disabled guests or really anyone could simply choose to just stay on through the unload/load areas

The second way would be to keep your assigned vehicle, which waits for a specified period of time before the CM's 'force' everyone to get back into their vehicles. This logistically is a very hard option to pull off. Since the vehicles are not constantly cycling you would need multiple identical show rooms to have a scene that lasts for 'minutes' enough to justify getting off and on again. Think of this like multiple rooms of Luigi's Rollicking Roadsters load/unload cycle. That requires an awful lot of CM manpower to achieve though, you'd still be sitting around awkwardly for everyone's bars to be checked.

Disabled guests or anyone could just stay seated in their vehicle, although I imagine this would be a bit less enjoyable or one car per room would always be earmarked for disabled guests and would get the most prominent (if not moving) viewpoint.

It's really more like if the Gringott's bank scene, the stretching room, or the tower of terror pre-show rooms occurred mid ride. The trick is that there should not be a massive queue of people waiting on the other side to get on a vehicle again. It needs to be seamless otherwise it would be outrageously frustrating.

I think @marni1971 might have been alluding to all of this pretty recently. He made some off hand comment I recall about how they were blurring the line between queue and ride. I don't think any of us quite caught on to what he meant. He maybe has already commented on this in another thread, I just haven't fully investigated the DHS sub forum yet.
Posted this in the DHS thread.
Maybe the reason for getting off/on is that you're captured by Stormtroopers, forced to get off, and then the resistance steps in allowing you to reboard and escape? Of course this would probably have to be done with live actors and would be the complete next level from GMR. Sounds expensive too.

ctrlaltdel

Thanks @BrianLo. You put what I was trying to say about blurring the line between queue and ride much more eloquently than me. I agree, this matches up decently well with what Martin was saying a month or two ago about "the mother of all queues."

SSG

@BrianLo and @marni1971 were, as usual, correct. Think a very elaborate queue with multiple parts and pre-show experiences, some that involve motion but are not on the actual ride vehicle, culminating in the ride itself. You won't be disembarking the ride vehicle and then getting back on.
But my dad has diabetes, COP-D and is 70 pounds overweight. Hustling him in & out of a ride vehicle multiple times would be an awesome experience.

BrianLo

Original Poster
@BrianLo and @marni1971 were, as usual, correct. Think a very elaborate queue with multiple parts and pre-show experiences, some that involve motion but are not on the actual ride vehicle, culminating in the ride itself. You won't be disembarking the ride vehicle and then getting back on.

Good! It didn't sound like something that would actually enhance a ride experience logistically or operationally.

JediMasterMatt

All this queue/RV discussion will make a lot more sense when the context of the attraction is understood. A good adventure usually involves a good journey.

We've still got a long road ahead of us until it's open, so sit back and enjoy the slow burn.

Trust me on this one. It will be worth it. The only thing that people will have to complain about any of this is going to be the never ending debate about the placement of the land.

mickEblu

This sounds very Haunted Mansion-ish and I like it. The only Disney ride to date I know of that has actually blurred the line of where the queue ends and ride starts.

britain

All this queue/RV discussion will make a lot more sense when the context of the attraction is understood. A good adventure usually involves a good journey.

Awesome! Thanks for the insight.

Could you at all weigh in on an angle Jim Hill had on this attraction – that it's very Rogue One inspired?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom