News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

Marc Davis Fan

I was looking at the Galaxy's Edge spires from Toontown recently, and, well... they're visible.

Do any of our insiders (perhaps @marni1971?) have ideas about whether there's a planned "fix" for this?

My guess is that they're going to do something, because there are unthemed support structures visible, and they obviously wouldn't be planning to keep that as is.

But I hope they do a good job, maybe even just some additional tress, etc., because ToonTown really needs to have perfect sightlines in order for the concept of "being in a cartoon" to work.

mickEblu

I was looking at the Galaxy's Edge spires from Toontown recently, and, well... they're visible.

Do any of our insiders (perhaps @marni1971?) have ideas about whether there's a planned "fix" for this?

My guess is that they're going to do something, because there are unthemed support structures visible, and they obviously wouldn't be planning to keep that as is.

But I hope they do a good job, maybe even just some additional tress, etc., because ToonTown really needs to have perfect sightlines in order for the concept of "being in a cartoon" to work.

I’m going out on a limb and saying he has no idea. He’s more of a WDW head. It also seems to be his answer for most questions these days.

But I do agree with what you said.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Possibly finish the project.

Disney Irish

Premium Member

I'm going to also go out on a limb and say, they probably aren't all that concerned about sight lines from TT. So other than some finish work there probably isn't going to be a big push to make backstage area "unseen" when looking over the fence.

So my opinion is they probably won't do much more than maybe add a few trees.

Marc Davis Fan

Well, they're not finished hiding things yet, like adding more trees, or letting the trees grow, right?

Yeah, that's what I suggested in my original post. My hope is that they'll add trees somewhere just past the western end of ToonTown:

Screen Shot 2019-01-16 at 6.32.28 PM.png

The problem is, it looks like they'd have to move a major backstage access road (the north-south road immediately west of the ToonTown border) in order to accomplish that. Perhaps they could instead put something on top of those warehouse buildings, like additional "hill" flats. Maybe they're waiting until the end of GE construction because adding these trees or other view-blockers now would get in the way of construction equipment. It would seem odd for them to put so much effort into the sightlines from Frontierland, Critter Country, and Fantasyland (including the outright removal of a spire that was already partially built, because the lower part was visible from Fantasyland, apparently), and then overlook the sightlines from ToonTown. But I suppose time will tell...

@MisterPenguin, by "finish the project" I thought you were referring to the rockwork.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No

Where were you standing when you saw it if I may ask? When I took my trip back in December I made it a point to see where I can see the spires from in TT. There was a spot way over near Roger Rabbit, but it was far away and you really had to look for them. I know you can also see them from up on Donald's boat. Not that having to be in obscure spots and having to look for them is an excuse, but I'm pretty sure they are done with them. You usually don't do half the job, especially in rock work, take down all the scaffolding, then come back later. If you can't see the support beams from within Galaxy's Edge, they are done. If they plan to hide them it will be in a different way.....most likely being something blocking the view.

Would be nice if they would put another floating wall of those toon town hill flats on the back of those GE buildings.

That's what I was thinking. When construction is done they will probably remove those temporary buildings and build something more permanent there, either a show building for SWL/FL expansion or a more permanent backstage building. Then they can put up the faux mountains like on the north side.

Unless you look at an online map or look carefully from Mickey & Friends parking, most people don't realize that there is an access road between TT and the northern faux mountains.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

The Star Destroyer couldn't enter the atmosphere around their base for an orbital bombardment because of the shields over Echo Base. It's the same reason the Rebels had to lower the shields and fire the ion cannon at the Star Destroyers during the evacuation. My goodness, pay attention.
Sure it could have. enter the planet through a spot that is not defended by the canon. how else did they get the AT-AT WALKERS down to the planet if they didn't do that? then fly within range of the base and blast it to pieces. the orbital cannon did not fire on the AT-AT's or they would have used it to stop the ground assault. My goodness pay attention

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

Star Destroyers can't enter atmosphere? Don't tell George Lucas that, as his film, Attack of the Clones, ends with them (or early versions of them) ascending from a planetary surface. Oh...spoilers.
I never said they cant enter the atmosphere. I said they can't enter the atmosphere and just float/orbit above cities. the ones in clones are ascending and taking off not just staying planetary. like a nasa space ship. it takes off to go to space not fly around a planet. if a star destroyer tried to enter the atmosphere it would most likely crash. the one in rogue one hovers as if gravity does not exist which is does for every one on JEDAH are walking around instead of bouncing around.

Marc Davis Fan

Where were you standing when you saw it if I may ask?

I could see them from a few areas, I believe including just east of the trolly and just southwest of the restrooms. I'll have to check again for the specific spots the next time I'm there.

If they plan to hide them it will be in a different way.....most likely being something blocking the view.

Sorry if I was unclear. I didn't mean to suggest that they could add to the rockwork, I meant that they could add trees just west of ToonTown's western border and/or faux hills somewhere around where those two backstage warehouses west of ToonTown are currently located, as described in my earlier post with the satellite photo.

SWGalaxysEdge

In regards to the Attractions Magazine description of the whole RotR attraction, my imagineering contact said "spot on"
He wasn't 100% sure, but he thought the Kylo Ren in the ride could be switched out with Vader, or whatever, He's gonna check.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

This nerd talk is too much.

So my question is this, does God save those who have never heard the Gospel? If one is born on a desert island, and by some miracle survives with no human interaction and is never told of any religion, would God save its soul upon death? It's a very interesting question, commonly debated within even Christian circles. Initially my views on the matter were that yes, if one was born in total solitude, there is a chance at salvation because we know that all know God as stated in Romans 1:20. But the passage continues saying "For although they knew God, they did not honor him as God or give thanks to him, but they became futile in their thinking, and their foolish hearts were darkened." (Rom. 1:21) This is because the nature of man, due to the fall in the Garden of Eden, is to hate and resent God. It is only by God's own grace that he may choose the elect to love and worship him. In all practicality then, is it likely that even if born into solitude, they will still have that natural hatred of God for man is sinful and corrupt. But even then, I do not believe it to be impossible. If it is God's own will that they should come to know him, then is it not reasonable to assume He would send a missionary to this island to let them hear the Gospel? And if not, then is it not possible for Him to fill the islander's dreams with knowledge of Christ's death and resurrection and what it meant or an angel to come down from heaven to give the islander that good news? It is certainly not out of his power, but I don't know if I believe that's the way God works after the resurrection.

That said, what's my conclusion on salvation without having heard the Gospel? Well, I do believe it's possible (though highly unlikely) that someone could be born outside of civilization and still have a knowledge and yearning for God (though it is likely this will be filled by idol worship and not worship to God). If, however, the uncivilized islander did have that yearning God and was in fact one of God's elect, then I believe He would send forth a mission to tell them of the Gospel and in the end they would have heard the story of Christ. It is, then, impossible for one to not hear the Gospel if they are predestined to be saved.

Mods don't delete this.
I Believe in science

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

I can see this by the way you take your children's space fantasies so seriously.
when it comes to fantasy films set in space the rules and laws of outer space should still be applied. This way the greater fantasy elements become more believeable and allow you to suspend your suspension of disbelief. this way there is grounding in reality. like Ships being able to go to Light Speed when we don't have that ability currently and to be able to navigate their path ahead of time to avoid space objects that could destroy them. that is great and believable. and science can be proven physically and mathematically. I have never seen god or proof that it even exists. I have seen proof of evolution. of the atom. science can find ancient dinosaurs but not once has anyone found the remains of any of these biblical figures.

TROR

when it comes to fantasy films set in space the rules and laws of outer space should still be applied. This way the greater fantasy elements become more believeable and allow you to suspend your suspension of disbelief. this way there is grounding in reality. like Ships being able to go to Light Speed when we don't have that ability currently and to be able to navigate their path ahead of time to avoid space objects that could destroy them. that is great and believable. and science can be proven physically and mathematically. I have never seen god or proof that it even exists. I have seen proof of evolution. of the atom. science can find ancient dinosaurs but not once has anyone found the remains of any of these biblical figures.

Comments like these are so factually ignorant and unintellectual they are not worth even entertaining, particularly the last sentence which is just false. It also has no relation to that actual conversation I was trying to put forth with my fellow scholarly men when you so rudely interrupted with your juvenile statements that offered nothing of value.

Am I the only person who thinks it looks and sounds plain, unexciting, and sterile (for lack of better words). Like we're just going to be driving through a Star Wars movie set and have an encounter with someone cosplaying that lame Kylo Ren character.

I can see that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom