News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

SuddenStorm

This is why I've always said Marvel has done it better. Say what you will about the MCU, but Feige has made sure that each story leads into the next. Lucas really needs a Feige type person as the Head of Creativity.

The MCU is an excellent example of how to have a connected franchise- each of their films has been at least "average", and it's created a cultural phenomenon like none other. The wide variety of film makers they get helps each film feel somewhat fresh and unique, while still being distinctly "Marvel".

Disney Irish

Premium Member
The MCU is an excellent example of how to have a connected franchise- each of their films has been at least "average", and it's created a cultural phenomenon like none other. The wide variety of film makers they get helps each film feel somewhat fresh and unique, while still being distinctly "Marvel".

Yep. You can have different directors, or even writers, to tell unique stories within each movie. But you need someone pulling the strings to make sure there is a solid thread that connects each movie back to the larger story being told.

Maybe one day Lucas will get it together and put someone into that position to pull the strings.

TROR

Alright- is his character arc any different in The Last Jedi than The Force Awakens? Is he in a different place as a character at the end of The Last Jedi than he was at the beginning of the Force Awakens?

He has a bit more power now- but that's not character development. At the beginning of the Force Awakens- the first scene- he's depicted as a ruthless, evil villain reminiscent of Darth Vader. Two films later, he's at the same point- just now he's the one in charge
In The Force Awakens he was torn between the light and the dark. After The Last Jedi he has surrendered fully to the dark.

SuddenStorm

The dialogue of that sequence suggests otherwise.

"I am being torn apart. I want to be free of this pain. I know what I must do, but I don't know if I have the strength to do it. Will you help me?"

"Yes, anything"

Guts Han Solo

"Thank you"

Of course, Johnson retconned this and recycled the exact same storyline for Kylo in The Last Jedi. But every indication from the vocal/dialogue changes, the music and lighting changes, as well as the fight that takes place after this scene show that he was, at that point, fully immersed in the dark side, no longer suffering from the call to the light.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
In The Force Awakens he was torn between the light and the dark. After The Last Jedi he has surrendered fully to the dark.
But wasn't he fully surrendered to the dark at the end of the Force Awakens after he killed Han Solo?

He surrendered to the dark at the end of TFA, but still had a glimmer of light. But I look at TLJ as his wanting to get rid of the old ways and start anew. This was the thread through the entire movie, both Luke and Kylo (albeit from two different ways) try to push Rey into this idea that the world isn't black or white, light or dark, its both, its gray. This is the one thing I wish that was explored more but they left of lot of it out. The idea that a force user can be gray. I hope Abrams picks up on this and runs with it. Having the Gray Jedi's appear would be cool.

britain

The dialogue of that sequence suggests otherwise.

"I am being torn apart. I want to be free of this pain. I know what I must do, but I don't know if I have the strength to do it. Will you help me?"

"Yes, anything"

Guts Han Solo

"Thank you"

Of course, Johnson retconned this and recycled the exact same storyline for Kylo in The Last Jedi. But every indication from the vocal/dialogue changes, the music and lighting changes, as well as the fight that takes place after this scene show that he was, at that point, fully immersed in the dark side, no longer suffering from the call to the light.

How was this retconned and recycled? With Luke?

britain

Kylo Ren's storyline in episode 8 is as if the events of 7 didn't happen- emotionally, he's the exact same as he was during The Force Awakens. The death of Han Solo- the deed that was meant to solidify his turn to the dark was ignored in The Last Jedi.

Pfft, he’s not solidified in either. Kiddo can’t snuff out the glimmer of potential good in him.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Radiator Springs Racers is a 12 second dispatch interval, stated directly by Tom Morris, it's creative director

Thx for sharing that.. but 12 seconds, from two load platforms. Space Mountain comes from a single feed, hence why it's more challenging. The dual loading platforms have been used for a long time to increase the flexibility and fudge factor for guest antics.

I mean, an omnimover system is much faster than even 12 seconds, so there's loads of examples there.

well dispatch intervals don't really mean anything in a continuously loading system :p

Still space mountain is the easiest example of watching crews work HARD to keep dispatch up.. especially since it's a gravity system where cascades are a real problem. In systems like IASW... missing dispatches just mean backups.. where on space it can lead to a whole e-stop and evac.

The main downside to low dispatch intervals is really that you get to see other ride vehicles as you go through the experience and little time for showscenes to reset, so it's really down to what type of ride the designers are going for.

It all depends on the design. For instance, some designs have vehicles that leave in groups, breakup, etc.. like the original Imagination attraction. Or attractions like TDL Pooh or Mystic Manor where multiple vehicles share scenes as part of the experience.

What is more important is the ability to keep the attraction running on it's intervals to avoid 'alternatives' or even stoppages. Coasters are the biggest discussion because of the brake zones and cascading... but they are less disruptive in systems where the vehicles can be controlled directly, or backups are tolerable.

flynnibus

Premium Member
These contradict one another

No they don't... having a story element doesn't make it 'character development'

Still... the fan base does not feel any real attachment to Kylo, nor empathy. And that's due to the lack of development. It doesn't help the movies have been chopped and reworked multiple times.

Kylo's struggles are laid out on a tray for people to 'know' yet most just follow along and don't really care.. especially since his ambitions are so rehashed from earlier star wars films.. making them feel trite and predictable.

He's shallow and contrived... much like Anakin in EP2... and why he's blah.

PB Watermelon

No they don't... having a story element doesn't make it 'character development'

Still... the fan base does not feel any real attachment to Kylo, nor empathy. And that's due to the lack of development. It doesn't help the movies have been chopped and reworked multiple times.

Kylo's struggles are laid out on a tray for people to 'know' yet most just follow along and don't really care.. especially since his ambitions are so rehashed from earlier star wars films.. making them feel trite and predictable.

He's shallow and contrived... much like Anakin in EP2... and why he's blah.

Was gonna be snarky. Caught myself. As far as I'm concerned, Kylo is a wonderful character. Killed Han Solo physically, sliced his overlord in half, was tempted to kill his own mother, killed Luke spiritually, and tried to take Rey along with him on his water slide of doom.

G00fyDad

Is this land still on course for a June opening? I was hoping it would be delayed a little. We are going to California the week of July 4th and we wanted to go to Disneyland. However, with this land supposedly opening in June I would not be caught dead in the park. It will be far too slammed and people will be shoulder to shoulder.

PB Watermelon

Is this land still on course for a June opening? I was hoping it would be delayed a little. We are going to California the week of July 4th and we wanted to go to Disneyland. However, with this land supposedly opening in June I would not be caught dead in the park. It will be far too slammed and people will be shoulder to shoulder.

Did you think Disneyland wouldn't be packed on the 4th of July even without Galaxy's Edge?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom