News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

mickEblu

Will it really be that hard to get on the SWL attractions next summer? Let’s say you go in July (when only Signature and Signature plus APs are valid) and get to the park at rope drop. You line up for rope drop at Frontierland, haul @$$ to the Falcon attraction (as it’s closer) and get an FP for battle escape using MaxPass. You may even be able to get a second FP with a late return time.

SuddenStorm

Will it really be that hard to get on the SWL attractions next summer? Let’s say you go in July (when only Signature and Signature plus APs are valid) and get to the park at rope drop. You line up for rope drop at Frontierland, haul @$$ to the Falcon attraction (as it’s closer) and get an FP for battle escape using MaxPass. You may even be able to get a second FP with a late return time.

I expect the first few weeks to be hell, but after that, I think it'll just be a busier then average summer. Until the lower level passes are allowed back in, then the cycle will repeat. I expect the FP's to be the first to go all summer (if not all year).

With a near identical land opening in DHS, most tourists will opt to go there since the uninitiated often think WDW is better.

I wish we could see what percentage of summer visitors are deluxe passholders to give us an idea how effective the summer long ban will be.

mickEblu

I expect the first few weeks to be hell, but after that, I think it'll just be a busier then average summer. Until the lower level passes are allowed back in, then the cycle will repeat. I expect the FP's to be the first to go all summer (if not all year).

With a near identical land opening in DHS, most tourists will opt to go there since the uninitiated often think WDW is better.

I wish we could see what percentage of summer visitors are deluxe passholders to give us an idea how effective the summer long ban will be.

Agreed but what do you think of the plan I laid out? I’m not seeing how it doesn’t get you on three SWL attractions minimum per day.

SuddenStorm

Agreed but what do you think of the plan I laid out? I’m not seeing how it doesn’t get you on three SWL attractions minimum per day.

In theory, it should work perfectly. Perhaps not in the first week when people are camping overnight outside the gate, but on most days the first summer, it's gotta work.

Unless, of course, Disney does extra magic hours at Galaxy's Edge- filling up the land before the park is even open.

mickEblu

In theory, it should work perfectly. Perhaps not in the first week when people are camping overnight outside the gate, but on most days the first summer, it's gotta work.

Unless, of course, Disney does extra magic hours at Galaxy's Edge- filling up the land before the park is even open.

That would put a wrench in the plan for sure. Lol.

I guess the question is how many people would be planning on doing the same thing? I don’t think the average tourist or day guest would be quite savvy enough to execute the plan laid out. The “competition” would appear to be other APs that are not blocked and APs that are blocked out but buying the day. Oh and going on a non magic morning hour would be key. (Unless they offer it as some incentive to hotel guests every day that summer)

SuddenStorm

That would put a wrench in the plan for sure. Lol.

I guess the question is how many people would be planning on doing the same thing? I don’t think the average tourist or day guest would be quite savvy enough to execute the plan laid out. The “competition” would appear to be other APs that are not blocked and APs that are blocked out but buying the day. Oh and going on a non magic morning hour would be key. (Unless they offer it as some incentive to hotel guests every day that summer)

The opening day Indy lines that went up through Frontierland, then back down the hub down Main Street should be indicative of what to expect for these rides. Especially with the rumored low capacity.

I wouldn't be surprised if the stand by lines for the two rides started before rope drop (like they do for Mission Breakout).

Part of me is wondering if no amount of planning will help, since every person in the park is gonna be focusing on those two rides.

mickEblu

The opening day Indy lines that went up through Frontierland, then back down the hub down Main Street should be indicative of what to expect for these rides. Especially with the rumored low capacity.

I wouldn't be surprised if the stand by lines for the two rides started before rope drop (like they do for Mission Breakout).

Part of me is wondering if no amount of planning will help, since every person in the park is gonna be focusing on those two rides.

Let’s say there are standby lines at rope drop. I’m just thinking how early would you have to get to the gate to say not have to wait more than 30-45 min for the first SWL attraction? I would imagine getting to the park at 6:30/ 7 would do the trick (yuck). Then you use MaxPass for the second and maybe third attractions.

It may not be as bad as Indy was as their will be 2 headliners. Also there was no FP/ MaxPass when Indy opened.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Let’s say there are standby lines at rope drop. I’m just thinking how early would you have to get to the gate to say not have to wait more than 30-45 min for the first SWL attraction? I would imagine getting to the park at 6:30/ 7 would do the trick (yuck). Then you use MaxPass for the second and maybe third attractions.

It may not be as bad as Indy was as their will be 2 headliners. Also there was no FP/ MaxPass when Indy opened.

I'm wondering if MaxPass or even FP will even be offered opening week. They may want to just have standby to get as many riders through as possible.

But overall I would think the first 5 days will likely require getting to the park by 6am.

Just me thinking out loud....

SuddenStorm

I'm wondering if MaxPass or even FP will even be offered opening week. They may want to just have standby to get as many riders through as possible.

But overall I would think the first 5 days will likely require getting to the park by 6am.

Just me thinking out loud....

Maxpass doesn't lower capacity. They'll be able to get the same number of people through with, or without it. There's no chance of Disney not offering on these two rides.

SuddenStorm

Wouldn't getting to the park at 6:30 technically mean you're waiting at least 90 mins for the attraction if it opens at 8?

I wonder... will the rest of the park be comparatively less crowded due to the Galaxy's Edge demand? Or will the entire park just be ridiculous?

I know I'm dreaming here- but I'd definitely plan to go if I knew the classic rides were gonna be empty while everyone tries to get into Galaxy's Edge.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Maxpass doesn't lower capacity. They'll be able to get the same number of people through with, or without it. There's no chance of Disney not offering on these two rides.

Again it was just me thinking out loud. But if the idea is not to have 6+ hour waits where lines go all the way down to Main St., it may make sense for the first couple days not to offer it.

Or have the reverse where its MaxPass only, no Standby.

Travel Junkie

I tend to rope drop a fair amount. I've seen between 50-100 people already in line an hour before park opening on an average day with nothing special going on. The first few weeks you'll probably have to get there very early to get on a ride within the first 30 minutes of park open. Honestly I may go the 2nd or 3rd day and just show up super early and read a book or something.

I agree with your plan to max pass one ride while hitting standby for the other. So will everyone else though. I imagine there will be a large amount of stress on the cell towers around DL around park open.

dweezil78

Will Evermore be a good indicator for the type of immersive experience guests will find in Galaxy's Edge?

Opens later this month.

On the one hand, It sounds cool and is lead by the CEO of The Void and WDI’s Josh Shipley. In the other, it keeps getting delayed, scales down, and is supposed to open this year (month according to their website?!) with just concept art, renderings, and statues to show for it...

Missing20K

On the one hand, It sounds cool and is lead by the CEO of The Void and WDI’s Josh Shipley. In the other, it keeps getting delayed, scales down, and is supposed to open this year (month according to their website?!) with just concept art, renderings, and statues to show for it...

I hadn't seen the video posted and I agree with the rest in that it looks a bit half-finished and like a more permanent Renn Faire. They certainly have a bunch of talent and some money backing them so it should be interesting to see how they do, as they are apparently opening to the public next week. Tickets here.

BrianLo

Original Poster

This is pretty much my active theory as well. With the caveat that you pretty much need to be at the gate 75-90 minutes before opening.

Yes you'll still be waiting 90 minutes, but if it's anything like Pandora they'll walk crowds in well beforehand down main street, probably hold crowds at Frontierland/Adventureland entrances and then walk guests towards the attractions via Big Thunder or Towards Critter Country. Which only is to say your haul approach towards the closer attraction doesn't particularly matter.

Maxpass will basically be the defacto means of pulling off a second fastpass. Yielding three rides (one in standby). A two day visitor could theoretically get three rides on both with one in standby and two via Fastpass. Probably the "best" option.

I think the rest of the park will be a freaking dream for the opening 45 minutes or so. Rope drop crowds for Fantasyland and Tomorrowland will probably be a joke. If you arrive slightly behind the mass just go for Pan or what have you, instead. Again the only caveat here being that I think they'll start running the two new Star Wars attractions about 20-30minutes or so before park opening, meaning guests will already have ridden before you can conceivably get on a Fantasyland attraction. Those who are at the front of the crowd, ride a SW:GE attraction and get the heck out will essentially be awarded with a free-for-all rope drop of the rest of the park. Those who arrive 30 minutes before opening and think they are 'early' will foolishly be waiting the longest. We see people do this for FoP all the time. "Oh great, we made it 15 minutes for park opening... let's get in this 3 hour line".

FP will likely run out within about 90-120minutes, meaning you need to get a very early Maxpass to pull off a second.

mickEblu

This is pretty much my active theory as well. With the caveat that you pretty much need to be at the gate 75-90 minutes before opening.

Yes you'll still be waiting 90 minutes, but if it's anything like Pandora they'll walk crowds in well beforehand down main street, probably hold crowds at Frontierland/Adventureland entrances and then walk guests towards the attractions via Big Thunder or Towards Critter Country. Which only is to say your haul *** approach towards the closer attraction doesn't particularly matter.

Maxpass will basically be the defacto means of pulling off a second fastpass. Yielding three rides (one in standby). A two day visitor could theoretically get three rides on both with one in standby and two via Fastpass. Probably the "best" option.

I think the rest of the park will be a freaking dream for the opening 45 minutes or so. Rope drop crowds for Fantasyland and Tomorrowland will probably be a joke. If you arrive slightly behind the mass just go for Pan or what have you, instead. Again the only caveat here being that I think they'll start running the two new Star Wars attractions about 20-30minutes or so before park opening, meaning guests will already have ridden before you can conceivably get on a Fantasyland attraction. Those who are at the front of the crowd, ride a SW:GE attraction and get the heck out will essentially be awarded with a free-for-all rope drop of the rest of the park. Those who arrive 30 minutes before opening and think they are 'early' will foolishly be waiting the longest. We see people do this for FoP all the time. "Oh great, we made it 15 minutes for park opening... let's get in this 3 hour line".

FP will likely run out within about 90-120minutes, meaning you need to get a very early Maxpass to pull off a second.

Hmmm so it makes you think. What’s better, waiting 90 min at the Disneyland gate or maybe waiting the same or a little longer if you get there a little later but you get the benefit of exploring the Q? I’d probably just split the difference. Try my luck and Get to the park at 7am for an 8am opening.

BrianLo

Original Poster
Hmmm so it makes you think. What’s better, waiting 90 min at the Disneyland gate or maybe waiting the same or a little longer if you get there a little later but you get the benefit of exploring the Q? I’d probably just split the difference. Try my luck and Get to the park at 7am for an 8am opening.

Earlier, ALWAYS, ALWAYS. There will be a sweet spot point to arrive by to be within the first couple hundred people. After that people will be showing up in hordes. To the point that every minute you show up later will be 5 more minutes, progressive to 10 more minutes that you'll be stuck waiting. With significant loss to a very enjoyable opening hour nearly everywhere else in the park. A worse parking experience, a longer wait for the Tram, etc. etc. etc.

People make this mistake with FoP constantly. If you aren't going to essentially be at the head of the pack, you are better off riding mid afternoon or in the evening when you'll probably wait just as long without losing out on nearly every other attraction in the park being a walk on.

mickEblu

Earlier, ALWAYS, ALWAYS. There will be a sweet spot point to arrive by to be within the first couple hundred people. After that people will be showing up in hordes. To the point that every minute you show up later will be 5 more minutes, progressive to 10 more minutes that you'll be stuck waiting. With significant loss to a very enjoyable opening hour nearly everywhere else in the park. A worse parking experience, a longer wait for the Tram, etc. etc. etc.

People make this mistake with FoP constantly. If you aren't going to essentially be at the head of the pack, you are better off riding mid afternoon or in the evening when you'll probably wait just as long without losing out on nearly every other attraction in the park being a walk on.

Hahah ok I’m sold. 6am it is!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom