News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

RedGinger

Apologies if somebody already posted this ...

Via MakingStarWars, some new details on Galaxy's Edge. Here are the highlights:

- The Oga's Cantina aquarium (as seen in earlier concept art) was dropped by Disney. Was supposed to be an animatronic, but wasn't cost effective.

- In it's place will be in-universe frozen drink machines, as shown in the most recent concept release (similar to Bing Bong's Sweet Stuff but w/ alcoholic choices I imagine).

- Cast members who want to work in the land will be required to pass a "Star Wars Test".

TROR

Isn't it just a little possible that Disney wanted to use more references from TFA in SW:GE, which is why you see it in both... :eek:
I have no doubt they drew inspiration from The Force Awakens concept art, I know this wasn't even the only piece they showed at the presentation announcing Star Wars land, but I don't believe it was ever anything more than a place holder image to show off the vibe of Galaxy's Edge until they had a better idea and concept art for what the cantina in the land would be.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I have no doubt they drew inspiration from The Force Awakens concept art, I know this wasn't even the only piece they showed at the presentation announcing Star Wars land, but I don't believe it was ever anything more than a place holder image to show off the vibe of Galaxy's Edge until they had a better idea and concept art for what the cantina in the land would be.

That may be, I'm not sure they ever even mentioned it in the presentation I'd have to go back and look. But this is part of the issue with them releasing some of this concept art, and the fandom as a whole really, it gets over analyzed and an expectation is set. And then when it doesn't turn out like the concept art claims of budget cuts and cheapness get thrown around. When all along it could have just been a placeholder image like you said.

choco choco

Apologies if somebody already posted this ...

Via MakingStarWars, some new details on Galaxy's Edge. Here are the highlights:

- The Oga's Cantina aquarium (as seen in earlier concept art) was dropped by Disney. Was supposed to be an animatronic, but wasn't cost effective.

Me talking to Imagineers:

"What does that even mean? What is the metric by which an animatronic is considered 'cost effective'? Can you give an example of an existing animatronic that is 'cost effective'?"

raymusiccity

Me talking to Imagineers:

"What does that even mean? What is the metric by which an animatronic is considered 'cost effective'? Can you give an example of an existing animatronic that is 'cost effective'?"

There are examples of 'cost effective' animatronics all over the place!
IMG_2347.jpg

VJ

Will Evermore be a good indicator for the type of immersive experience guests will find in Galaxy's Edge?

Opens later this month.

Honestly... people try to make something like this and it never lasts (or never opens in the first place). I'm not holding my breath.

TROR

Honestly... people try to make something like this and it never lasts (or never opens in the first place). I'm not holding my breath.
You're not wrong. Theme parks are not a money making business, believe it or not. Even for the first decade (?) of Disneyland's operation it wasn't really producing a profit. They're incredibly expensive and there isn't as big of a market as we'd like to believe. I am intrigued with Evermore since, as the guy puts it, it is a small group of people working towards something rather than a mega corporation. That said, the small group of people are a bunch of dirty, smelly hipsters and the concept isn't that interesting to me. I admire the ambition and hope it succeeds for that reason, but you're right that it'll likely only last no more than a decade, and close likely due to financial problems. Theme parks are just not a sustainable source of revenue.

Phroobar

You're not wrong. Theme parks are not a money making business, believe it or not. Even for the first decade (?) of Disneyland's operation it wasn't really producing a profit. They're incredibly expensive and there isn't as big of a market as we'd like to believe. I am intrigued with Evermore since, as the guy puts it, it is a small group of people working towards something rather than a mega corporation. That said, the small group of people are a bunch of dirty, smelly hipsters and the concept isn't that interesting to me. I admire the ambition and hope it succeeds for that reason, but you're right that it'll likely only last no more than a decade, and close likely due to financial problems. Theme parks are just not a sustainable source of revenue.
Yeah like video games.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom