News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

Rich T

I fear they are taking the immersion too far. It’s fine if they want to keep the food and merch in-canon, but I don’t really care for the idea of CM cosplay. It should be consistent with the rest of Disneyland.
It'll be a moot point when all's said and done. It's a theme park. Guests wearing Mickey t-shirts will be surrounded by other guests wearing Mickey t-shirts. Attempts at employee play-acting will make guests feel they're on another planet every bit as much as the Matterhorn employees fool guests into truly believing they've been magically transported to Switzerland.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
It'll be a moot point when all's said and done. It's a theme park. Guests wearing Mickey t-shirts will be surrounded by other guests wearing Mickey t-shirts. Attempts at employee play-acting will make guests feel they're on another planet every bit as much as the Matterhorn employees fool guests into truly believing they've been magically transported to Switzerland.

What are you talking about, I yodel every time I'm at Matterhorn. You mean I'm not really in the Alps?

bshah365

Considering how difficult it was for Character Hosts to get Launch Bay on their schedule when it first came out, I'm sure that the CMs are going to be forced to have Star Wars knowledge and be on point when getting cross trained/hired in. CMs had to originally apply if they wanted to host Star Wars characters and would have to initially pass a series of questions. The same went for being hired in the Wizarding World.. I'm not sure how things will look further down the line as Team Members in Potter have definitely lost their immersive themed phrasing/interaction through the years.

As for the waitressing CMs in full makeup/prosthetics/costume.. I highly doubt that any CMs in foods will be dressed that way. CMs in entertainment are more likely to be costumed as they a) get paid more, and b) don't have to work around food.

Having a performer in the giant fish bowl above the bar seems unrealistic.... I can see them incorporating a realistic under water animatronic in this area.. similar to the one in the FOP queue in Animal Kingdom.

George Lucas on a Bench

The Disney employees are perfectly "in character" collecting your hard-earned money for an obscenely overpriced unfulfilling drink.

Universal has the perfect level of immersion. Optimus Prime congratulates you for saving the universe. E.T. says your name. The Marvel funny book characters even come out on dune buggies. All while you're already drunk. Disney's just trying to catch up.

SuddenStorm

Yeah, it's jaded. But I'm afraid it's the reality of how this will play out long term.

See my posts earlier this year about Pixar Pier and how optimistic I was for that project. Then see how it turned out, and it's still not even done but TDA doesn't seem to care. :rolleyes:

To back this up, one needs only to look at Toontown and how long it took for that land to fall apart. Anyone remember the Jolly Trolley? Donald's Boat?

Toontown land is a shell of what it once was- and I wholeheartedly expect Galaxy's Edge to suffer a similar fate. In 10 or 20 years, it will be an afterthought for fans and park goers- much like Critter Country, it will be a land you go to to hit the rides, then immediately leave.

SuddenStorm

Disney's current rumored approach to Galaxy's Edge- merchandise and employees that are fully themed to the land to not break immersion is expensive. The costumes and training involved will be cost prohibitive long term, especially with the rising labor rates in California.

It'll also be far easier to stock the shops in Galaxy's Edge with the same merchandise as the Star Trader then to maintain a selection of stock that's exclusive to the land and creative enough to be convincing thematically.

Curious Constance

Was over ten pages behind in this thread. Just scanned through and got caught up. Confirmed I’m still deeply against this project and am convinced it’s going to not only be detrimental to Disneyland, but to America in general.

Also, I don’t care who Oga is or have any desire to visit her Cantina.

Also, I hate that this thing will be open next summer making the parks impossible to enjoy for anyone.

ALSo, @BrianLo you have a happy tree as your pic now!
At least it’s not all bad news around here! :D

britain

[QUOTE="Curious Constance, post: 8360059, member: 107048"
Also, I hate that this thing will be open next summer making the parks impossible to enjoy for anyone.[/QUOTE]

What are you talking about? The rest of the park will be a ghost town with everyone congregating in the upper west side!

TP2000

Having a performer in the giant fish bowl above the bar seems unrealistic.... I can see them incorporating a realistic under water animatronic in this area.. similar to the one in the FOP queue in Animal Kingdom.

The Cantina aquarium was cut from the budget. It was replaced by Galactic Icee machines.

Cantina Artwork released by Disney in August, 2015 at D23 Expo...
starwarscantina.0.jpg

Cantina Artwork released by Disney in August, 2018 on Disney Parks Blog...
star-wars-cantina.jpg

Also notice that the proprietress "Oga" is an actress all done up by the entertainment team, but there's real CM bartenders in basic uniforms doing the real work of selling the alcoholic Icee drinks. You can see the regular bartender guy in the the middle background behind the bar. Also see the "DJ" in the booth at the left, in place of a more expensive live band like the movie Cantina had. :confused:

Last edited:

mickEblu

The Cantina aquarium was cut from the budget. It was replaced by Galactic Icee machines.

Cantina Artwork released by Disney in August, 2015 at D23 Expo...
starwarscantina.0.jpg

Cantina Artwork released by Disney in August, 2018 on Disney Parks Blog...
star-wars-cantina.jpg

That’s too bad.

TP2000

That’s too bad.

Yeah. I'm sure the land will be fantastic, but it's obvious they have scaled some things back and cut the budget on stuff.

I would also caution that the Star Wars fans expecting a Colonial Williamsburg level of realism and play-acting by the CM's should temper their expectations a bit. And if you really want to experience all the interactive gizmos and ultra-themed CM interactions, you should visit in the first 90 days (first 30 days would be safer).

A year after opening you'll have 19 year old kids in ill-fitting uniforms leaning against the handrails barking "How many? Row 2. How many? Row 3. How many? Row 4."

mickEblu

Yeah. I'm sure the land will be fantastic, but it's obvious they have scaled some things back and cut the budget on stuff.

I would also caution that the Star Wars fans expecting a Colonial Williamsburg level of realism and play-acting by the CM's should temper their expectations a bit. And if you really want to experience all the interactive gizmos and ultra-themed CM interactions, you should visit in the first 90 days (first 30 days would be safer).

A year after opening you'll have 19 year old kids in ill-fitting uniforms leaning against the handrails barking "How many? Row 2. How many? Row 3. How many? Row 4."

Agreed. I’ve said many times that it think it’s absolutely silly that they apparently paid a lot of money to not have any Coke or Visa logos in the land. Personally I’d rather see a coke logo and have a third attraction or a cooler cantina. It’s not like they re going to collect all the Mickey shirts, bubble wands and balloons at the three Star Wars Land entrances right?

Last edited:

VJ

Agreed. I’ve said many times that it think it’s absolutely silly that they apparently paid a lot of money to not have any Coke or Visa logos in the land. Personally I’d rather see a coke logo and have a third attraction or a cooler cantina. It’s not like they re going to collect all the Mickey shirts, bubble wands and balloons at the three Star Wars Land entranced right?
Why can't they do something like they did for the Coke logos in Tomorrowland?
5b0d895ce2ec6b0937241153b49252c1.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom