News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

VJ

I imagine they chose an undefined location so that they can emulate most of the things people enjoy about Star Wars, rather than picking one established location and being handcuffed to only the occurrences and landmarks that take place there.
I think it's also so that it's meant to be your live and now-happening Star Wars adventure, instead of you being in a familiar place like Tatooine. It erases expectations and cleans the palate so that you can have a new, fresh adventure set in the Star Wars galaxy, but one that's completely your own.

Phroobar

Voice direction and the lack of vocal effect is off. Just sounds like Paul Reubens.
Remember the Star Tours REX-24 was defective. He still had a "Remove Before Flight" tag on him. Hence the reason we have the adventure we did. The REX-24 in Rebels was operating correctly.

latest

Phroobar

I can see this perspective but I also think a real Star Wars film location would have way more appeal. This comes across as expanded universe thing instead of a Star Wars area from the film series everyone knows.

Disney has to do a lot more to make this land resonate with people vs if they recreated locales from the films.
Actually it is no longer expanded universe. It shows up in the latest Thrawn book. Besides you can't blame Disney for wanting something they can call their own.

Jones14

Although that doesn't explain why everyone in the Star Wars galaxy speaks perfect English with either middle class 20th century American accents, or upper-middle class 21st century British accents.

Funnily enough, a few of the newer books discuss the language and dialect differences. They call English ‘Galactic Basic’, and the British accents come from the affluent worlds toward the core of the universe, while the American middle class dialect is designated as springing from the mid and outer rims. It doesn’t go much deeper than that, though.

flynnibus

Premium Member
That is making a huge leap from there is interactive play in SW:GE to DLR is getting Magic Bands. An app works just as well for any interactive play, and can do the tracking even better than Magic Bands...

MBs have several things your app doesn't... and shifts all the infrastructure to a piece disney controls vs your device you change every 12months.

There are things Disney can do to track wifi devices.. so they could go that route. Or they could simply sell some tacky SW token and spin a story of why you should have it/wear it.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
MBs have several things your app doesn't... and shifts all the infrastructure to a piece disney controls vs your device you change every 12months.

There are things Disney can do to track wifi devices.. so they could go that route. Or they could simply sell some tacky SW token and spin a story of why you should have it/wear it.

Name something that the app can't do that MB does? Its just a different item that performs the same function.

The app is in full control by Disney. Disney controls which devices it supports and which features work with those devices. NFC that is available in any smart phone in the last 3-5 years works just the same as the RFID tag in the MB. If you've seen the Play Disney app and how it interacts with the Peter Pan queue in DL, you'd know they can do the same thing in SW:GE.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Name something that the app can't do that MB does? Its just a different item that performs the same function.

1) Provide a throw-away value device to EVERY member in the party that is unique
2) Provides a moderated experience where people can 'register' into the system via CM or Disney's identity system
3) Provide a beacon that works all the time at ranges beyond NFC or bluetooth that can operate at scale
4) Provides NFC at both contact and 'near' ranges if desired (Play Disney doesn't use NFC - it uses bluetooth and wifi)
5) Does all this with a device that doesn't require charging, works for people of all points of origin
6) Requires zero device interop
7) Has a lifecycle Disney controls entirely itself - unlike when the handset makers change the platform every 12months
8) Doubles as both a user value add and a value add IoT device for Disney

The Play Disney app is cute... and a good time passer... but it comes with a lot of burdens Disney has to follow others to keep in play. Not something you necessarily like when you design stuff for lifecycles of 3-10 years... not 12-24months.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
1) Provide a throw-away value device to EVERY member in the party that is unique
2) Provides a moderated experience where people can 'register' into the system via CM or Disney's identity system
3) Provide a beacon that works all the time at ranges beyond NFC or bluetooth that can operate at scale
4) Provides NFC at both contact and 'near' ranges if desired (Play Disney doesn't use NFC - it uses bluetooth and wifi)
5) Does all this with a device that doesn't require charging, works for people of all points of origin
6) Requires zero device interop
7) Has a lifecycle Disney controls entirely itself - unlike when the handset makers change the platform every 12months
8) Doubles as both a user value add and a value add IoT device for Disney

The Play Disney app is cute... and a good time passer... but it comes with a lot of burdens Disney has to follow others to keep in play. Not something you necessarily like when you design stuff for lifecycles of 3-10 years... not 12-24months.

Ok, while I agree with some of your points, however there are things that you are not taking into account:

1. While throw away, MB still costs Disney to produce. While the App is just minor development cost to upgrade, and can be quickly updated to include new features. The customer doesn't have to do anything but make sure they are on the latest version.
2. This same "register" experience can be accomplished with the app using the same basic system.
3/4. While Play Disney doesn't currently use NFC, it can. And I believe they will for any app based system for SW:GE, which will provide that "beacon" you mention.
5. Its 2018, almost the entire populous has a smart phone, and use it anytime they are in the parks. Disney would be foolish to not leverage that. And with Play Disney and other apps they are beginning to leverage the power of the technology. Also the MBs do die and become outdated at some point. Which requires the end user to get a completely new MB.
6/7. Disney has full control over the lifecycle of the app. And provided it works with the latest OS on the device interop shouldn't be much of an issue.
8. The app provides a value add to both Disney and the guest. It uses a device the guest already has, and provides a mechanism for Disney to provide revenue beyond MB, like the ability to show Disney ads as needed.

I would be surprised if Disney will use a combination of real world and AR experiences for the interactive aspects of SW:GE.

MB is older technology at this point. If they were really committed to it they would have put it into the new park they just built two years ago in Shanghai. They would have put it into DLP, HKDL, TDL, and even DLR, but they didn't. And its my belief that at some point WDW will also get rid of MB once they've gotten most of their investment back.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I hope you are right about the magic bands. They took a lot of the fun out of WDW.

Not sure if that was sarcastic, but I believe it had it place at one time. I just think that time has passed. And at DLR beyond FP+ MBs don't have much usefulness. So Disney can't monetize it like they can at WDW. Even the items they did monetize for WDW like hotel key, and the ability for charging resort fee can all be done with an app now.

Anyways, we're like 8-9 months away from finding out. But my belief is that short of maybe a pin or some other item they provide you, an app will be used.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom