News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

nevol

It was a bit concerning at first, but the problems seem obvious, and I sense that this is a non-story. Disney is working with game designers on this, as this ride is basically a video game (on steroids), and video games have created solutions to this sort of problem a million times over.

Video games are fun when players experience rewards for their actions and competencies. Being a good pilot and jumping from one location to another, dodging obstacles and shooting enemy ships out of the sky is presumably what Jim Hill is saying will be rewarding. All disney has to do to make the ride fun for everybody without ruining the ride experience entirely is to make the mistakes just as fun, even funny, and thus rewarding. If your pilot crashes the ship, the physical ride experience, audio, and even voiceover from a co-piloting droid could all make the experience more fun and even hilarious. As long as the entire experience is made fun, funny, and rewarding, and not just for those who are very skilled, then the ride will be a hit.

Hopefully, the vast team of experts at Disney understand this, and the solutions to this problem that they create / have created do not solve one problem at the expense of another group of guests, creating another problem. Everybody should be rewarded and have fun without the ride being overly easy. The simple fact that riders will have no practice beforehand and only 3-4 minutes in the cockpit means that it can't be overly complicated either, as most video games require a few hours/days for players to be able to understand and excel.

britain

It was a bit concerning at first, but the problems seem obvious, and I sense that this is a non-story. Disney is working with game designers on this, as this ride is basically a video game (on steroids), and video games have created solutions to this sort of problem a million times over.

Video games are fun when players experience rewards for their actions and competencies. Being a good pilot and jumping from one location to another, dodging obstacles and shooting enemy ships out of the sky is presumably what Jim Hill is saying will be rewarding. All disney has to do to make the ride fun for everybody without ruining the ride experience entirely is to make the mistakes just as fun, even funny, and thus rewarding. If your pilot crashes the ship, the physical ride experience, audio, and even voiceover from a co-piloting droid could all make the experience more fun and even hilarious. As long as the entire experience is made fun, funny, and rewarding, and not just for those who are very skilled, then the ride will be a hit.

Hopefully, the vast team of experts at Disney understand this, and the solutions to this problem that they create / have created do not solve one problem at the expense of another group of guests, creating another problem. Everybody should be rewarded and have fun without the ride being overly easy. The simple fact that riders will have no practice beforehand and only 3-4 minutes in the cockpit means that it can't be overly complicated either, as most video games require a few hours/days for players to be able to understand and excel.

Totally agree.

I will say this though: It might be nice if there were some sort of special game play for those who have racked-up a sufficient number of 'beginner' trips on the Falcon.

bshah365

Here are a few ideas.. Disney has mentioned many times that the "Play Disney Parks" app will be heavily influenced inside Galaxy's Edge... An awesome idea would be to have a game that trains guests waiting in line, showing them accurate features that will be used inside the cockpits when you board... There should also be a preshow part of the queue where CMs or a monitor teaches guests how to perform each roll during the attraction. I remember Luigi's Flying Tires had an area where you would be grouped before the ride began. CMs would teach you how to ride the tires to avoid a frustrating ride experience...

Now about having a good/bad reputation inside the land after your Flacon journey.... This can be easily done... I imagine they would have "Wanted" posters around the land with monitors synced in them.. your photo could be taken during the ride which can then be displayed across the land.. This is similar to the wanted poster inside the Wizarding World featuring Sirius Black... If you have the app and load your ride photo to your account, you could get a notification that reads "WARNING, a bounty is set out for you near the cantina. Proceed with caution around Black Spire Outpost". This would notify the guest that their photo is now being featured on the "Wanted" poster near the cantina.. Guests could then run over and take fun shots of them with the poster!

Just a few thoughts :)

nevol

Here are a few ideas.. Disney has mentioned many times that the "Play Disney Parks" app will be heavily influenced inside Galaxy's Edge... An awesome idea would be to have a game that trains guests waiting in line, showing them accurate features that will be used inside the cockpits when you board... There should also be a preshow part of the queue where CMs or a monitor teaches guests how to perform each roll during the attraction. I remember Luigi's Flying Tires had an area where you would be grouped before the ride began. CMs would teach you how to ride the tires to avoid a frustrating ride experience...

Now about having a good/bad reputation inside the land after your Flacon journey.... This can be easily done... I imagine they would have "Wanted" posters around the land with monitors synced in them.. your photo could be taken during the ride which can then be displayed across the land.. This is similar to the wanted poster inside the Wizarding World featuring Sirius Black... If you have the app and load your ride photo to your account, you could get a notification that reads "WARNING, a bounty is set out for you near the cantina. Proceed with caution around Black Spire Outpost". This would notify the guest that their photo is now being featured on the "Wanted" poster near the cantina.. Guests could then run over and take fun shots of them with the poster!

Just a few thoughts :)
Absolutely genius. And if they use the play disney parks app, they are utilizing existing infrastructure at a higher level, rather than setting up a website as an alternative. Obviously this will include both an elaborate Galaxy's edge website and the play disney parks app, but i'm totally eager to use the app if it gets utilized as you are proposing.

BrianLo

Original Poster
"You Suck; You Suck; You Suck; You're Cool; You Suck;You Suck, Buh Bye."---CM as you exit.

Ah man... you RUINED the big surprise..

How did you know the imagineers big interactivity element was to have Jabba's wife comment on your performance at the end of the ride? That was some top level secret stuff.

Free_Roz_monster_inc_wallpaper_5.jpg

George Lucas on a Bench

I've never liked the interactive rides at Disney. This goes for the laser tag ride, the Toy Story screen ride where you have to stroke the thing off and Mission: Space with that guy telling you to push buttons. I'm here to ride a ride, not do crap with a button, especially if it isn't fun. The gold standard of interactivity at Disney is seeing yourself in the mirror on Haunted Mansion. Universal has had them beat with these shooting rides since MIB opened. It's actually fun and a scenic dark ride.

bshah365

I've never liked the interactive rides at Disney. This goes for the laser tag ride, the Toy Story screen ride where you have to stroke the thing off and Mission: Space with that guy telling you to push buttons. I'm here to ride a ride, not do crap with a button, especially if it isn't fun. The gold standard of interactivity at Disney is seeing yourself in the mirror on Haunted Mansion. Universal has had them beat with these shooting rides since MIB opened. It's actually fun and a scenic dark ride.
I'm the same way! I was also horrible at video games growing up so I feel like I'm always set up for failure on those rides! I feel as if Battle Escape will be something enjoyable and unique for us!

mickEblu

I always tell my wife she has no chance in beating me at TSMM... because of the last bonus round. It’s just not fair. I agree with with the ghost in the mirror being the gold standard. Definitely has E.T beat in that category where he just reads off a list of names.

Incomudro

Yes, just what you said.
It's Disney, and Disney is always going to be fun.
Some hardcore Star Wars fans may be disappointed by that, though those people likely forgot that Star Wars used to be fun too.

atjimfromdisney

I would just hope that if they're going to make heavy use of the Play Disney Parks app (which has so much potential in these themed lands), they put much more work into the app than they have with My Disney Experience. :rolleyes:

Stevek

I always tell my wife she has no chance in beating me at TSMM... because of the last bonus round. It’s just not fair. I agree with with the ghost in the mirror being the gold standard. Definitely has E.T beat in that category where he just reads off a list of names.

Because you can pull the string much faster than her? Hmmm : )

Professortango1

What if there was a training station in the queue prior to boarding? The computer looks at how your group did in training and adjusts the on-ride experience. What appears as getting to know the controls and killing some time in line is really a way to set the difficulty level per player.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom