News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

Phroobar

Jim Hill is also the guy who has started spreading a rumor that they're "discussing adding Ice Age to Disney's Animal Kingdom". (there's an on-going thread on the WDW side)
What's wrong with that? If Disney gets the IP they need to put those popular characters somewhere. They made a lot of money even though the last couple haven't been very good. They still need to replace Planet Watch with Zootopia.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

What's wrong with that? If Disney gets the IP they need to put those popular characters somewhere. They made a lot of money even though the last couple haven't been very good. They still need to replace Planet Watch with Zootopia.
Do they though???
giphy.gif

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Ah, except now they're not FOX properties, they're Disney characters!!!

Still...no. It's bad enough they besmirched Animal Kingdom with tall blue aliens.

Except those "tall blue aliens" are Disney too now, so its no longer besmirching.... Hmm, makes you wonder did Iger and Cameron know something we all didn't years ago? ;):p:cool:

Hatbox Ghostbuster

Except those "tall blue aliens" are Disney too now, so its no longer besmirching.... Hmm, makes you wonder did Iger and Cameron know something we all didn't years ago? ;):p:cool:
I think Iger knew all along he was planning to crap on the Disney name by making it include just about everything under the sun.

Also, Avatar is still a besmirchment, I don't care how cool it looks.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I think Iger knew all along he was planning to crap on the Disney name by making it include just about everything under the sun.

Well that is a matter of opinion. Some say he is strengthening the company by bringing more content under the Disney umbrella. Not everything is about the parks. And the world around us in the fandom will not come crashing down with more content under the Disney umbrella.

Ismael Flores

Ah, except now they're not FOX properties, they're Disney characters!!!

Still...no. It's bad enough they besmirched Animal Kingdom with tall blue aliens.

characters or not, I think it would be awesome to see what they could do with a land that is themed to cold areas of the world. Maybe they can rescue some Polar bears from some of the small city zoos and give them a proper exhibit

Hatbox Ghostbuster

Well that is a matter of opinion. Some say he is strengthening the company by bringing more content under the Disney umbrella. Not everything is about the parks. And the world around us in the fandom will not come crashing down with more content under the Disney umbrella.
Tell that to people who hated The Last Jedi...

I get that his strategy is not just parks-centric. But apart from the MCU, I guess I am just not hugely impressed with anything under his tenure. Sure the board and stockholders will definitely see a different shade of blue on this, but I have seen nothing from him but the death of originality and creativity.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Tell that to people who hated The Last Jedi...

I get that his strategy is not just parks-centric. But apart from the MCU, I guess I am just not hugely impressed with anything under his tenure. Sure the board and stockholders will definitely see a different shade of blue on this, but I have seen nothing from him but the death of originality and creativity.

I'm not worried about Last Jedi, I was actually ok with it. I think in time it will become accepted by the SW fandom, similar to how Empire was not well received at first but then became a fan favorite.

As for the rest, Disney has produced some highly original and creative content under his tenure, Zootopia springs to mind instantly. Fox Searchlight will also bolster the originality and creative side with its art house pictures.

This is a larger discussion probably best had in a different thread, but you also have to remember we are in a different era right now for content. The media landscape is currently changing, and will likely continue to change for at least the next decade until it stabilizes. So Disney has to change, or be left behind and risk getting gobbled up by other companies. That is what Iger is doing, positioning the company to better handle that changing media landscape and prevent a takeover.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

I'm not worried about Last Jedi, I was actually ok with it. I think in time it will become accepted by the SW fandom, similar to how Empire was not well received at first but then became a fan favorite.

As for the rest, Disney has produced some highly original and creative content under his tenure, Zootopia springs to mind instantly. Fox Searchlight will also bolster the originality and creative side with its art house pictures.

This is a larger discussion probably best had in a different thread, but you also have to remember we are in a different era right now for content. The media landscape is currently changing, and will likely continue to change for at least the next decade until it stabilizes. So Disney has to change, or be left behind and risk getting gobbled up by other companies. That is what Iger is doing, positioning the company to better handle that changing media landscape and prevent a takeover.
You might not be worried about TLJ, but there are plenty of people pushing to have Rian Johnson's new trilogy cancelled because they'll never forgive him for what he "did" to their beloved SW...

Fox Searchlight might bring more creativity into the fold, but art house pictures make historically little money compared to blockbuster franchise fare. I don't expect that to make that much of a splash. Besides, what will they be called? "Disney Searchlight"??

Believe me, I get the changing landscape of content. Personally, I think its heading in an unsustainable future. I can totally picture a time where people will be subscribed to 10+ different services just to get the few shows and movies they want to watch. It's bad enough already needing Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime. Add in a Disney subscription plus a sports subscription...you might as well just pay for cable!

Disney Irish

Premium Member
You might not be worried about TLJ, but there are plenty of people pushing to have Rian Johnson's new trilogy cancelled because they'll never forgive him for what he "did" to their beloved SW...

Fox Searchlight might bring more creativity into the fold, but art house pictures make historically little money compared to blockbuster franchise fare. I don't expect that to make that much of a splash. Besides, what will they be called? "Disney Searchlight"??

Believe me, I get the changing landscape of content. Personally, I think its heading in an unsustainable future. I can totally picture a time where people will be subscribed to 10+ different services just to get the few shows and movies they want to watch. It's bad enough already needing Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime. Add in a Disney subscription plus a sports subscription...you might as well just pay for cable!

Again I'm not worried about TLJ nor the future of SW. A lot of this is due to the internet/social media, had it existed 1980 when Empire came out they would have shredded it to bits.

Just like the other acquisitions, the Fox name will remain, so it will still be called Fox Searchlight. Also art house pictures win awards which brings in a whole different class of consumers. So they actually do bring in money later in the process.

I agree on the unsustainable future of the subscription model. As someone who has been in technology for the last almost 25 years, I've been part of and seen changes in technology go in one direction only to came back to the same place a decade later. At some point I see there will be another shift coming from multiple subscriptions to a single pay source for all this content. The content will still come from different companies, but you'll just pay a single company. A company like Apple or Google could do it, with Apple Pay and Google Pay, basically you pay them, and they pay the content provider. So basically the cable model for the cordcutter. I think you can do it a little bit now with Apply Pay, not sure about Google Pay.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

Again I'm not worried about TLJ nor the future of SW. A lot of this is due to the internet/social media, had it existed 1980 when Empire came out they would have shredded it to bits.

Just like the other acquisitions, the Fox name will remain, so it will still be called Fox Searchlight. Also art house pictures win awards which brings in a whole different class of consumers. So they actually do bring in money later in the process.

I agree on the unsustainable future of the subscription model. As someone who has been in technology for the last almost 25 years, I've been part of and seen changes in technology go in one direction only to came back to the same place a decade later. At some point I see there will be another shift coming from multiple subscriptions to a single pay source for all this content. The content will still come from different companies, but you'll just pay a single company. A company like Apple or Google could do it, with Apple Pay and Google Pay, basically you pay them, and they pay the content provider. So basically the cable model for the cordcutter. I think you can do it a little bit now with Apply Pay, not sure about Google Pay.
Art house films win awards because they're the only movies seen by the old, Academy voter demographic. It will be interesting now that the Academy has added the "most popular" movie winner category. No doubt given to whatever film earns the highest B.O. gross.

also just a side note, I read an article this morning on Disney's upcoming streaming service, "Disney Play" and thought this was fascinating:

"Disney will reportedly also be losing $300 million in revenue they received from Netflix for the exclusive streaming rights to a whole bunch of their titles (including the MCU films), and one analyst in the piece suggests the company will need to have around 40 million subscribers paying at least $6 a month to break even on the creation of Disney Play."

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Art house films win awards because they're the only movies seen by the old, Academy voter demographic. It will be interesting now that the Academy has added the "most popular" movie winner category. No doubt given to whatever film earns the highest B.O. gross.

also just a side note, I read an article this morning on Disney's upcoming streaming service, "Disney Play" and thought this was fascinating:

"Disney will reportedly also be losing $300 million in revenue they received from Netflix for the exclusive streaming rights to a whole bunch of their titles (including the MCU films), and one analyst in the piece suggests the company will need to have around 40 million subscribers paying at least $6 a month to break even on the creation of Disney Play."

I'm not sure how they come by the figure, given that the Netflix contract is up next year. At which point Disney Play or whatever they will call it will take over. Disney is just not renewing the contract they aren't breaking it. So they aren't losing any revenue, as its unknown what the contract renewal would have been. And its likely that any contract renewal would have been at a lower price point since the content would have been older. This isn't like Cable where Disney had all the power, saying you have to offer ESPN if you want Disney Channel, etc. Netflix has had most of the power over the last couple of year, with its large subscription base.

Also you think there aren't 40 million people that want Disney content, everything they have from SW, Marvel, Pixar, now Fox, and Disney content. Basically just 1/3 of Netflix subscriber base is all Disney needs. That doesn't mean 1/3 of Netflix users have to switch, just that they only need to be 1/3 the size of Netflix to "break even", if those numbers are true. Plus remember that is only one of their streaming offerings. Also I wouldn't be surprised if Disney didn't even bring out classic content from the vault to offer. Stuff that currently isn't even available to purchase or available to watch elsewhere.

Last edited:

Hatbox Ghostbuster

I'm not sure how they come by the figure, given that the Netflix contract is up next year. At which point Disney Play or whatever they will call it will take over. Disney is just not renewing the contract they aren't breaking it. So they aren't losing any revenue, as its unknown what the contract renewal would have been. And its likely that any contract renewal would have been at a lower price point since the content would have been older. This isn't like Cable where Disney had all the power, saying you have to offer ESPN if you want Disney Channel, etc. Netflix has had most of the power over the last couple of year, with its large subscription base.

Also you think there aren't 40 million people that want Disney content, everything they have from SW, Marvel, Pixar, now Fox, and Disney content. Basically just 1/3 of Netflix subscriber base is all Disney needs. That doesn't mean 1/3 of Netflix users have to switch, just that they only need to be 1/3 the size of Netflix to "break even", if those numbers are true. Plus remember that is only one of their streaming offerings. Also I wouldn't be surprised if Disney didn't even bring out classic content from the vault to offer. Stuff that currently isn't even available to purchase or available to watch elsewhere.
The first article was paraphrasing Variety's article. I trust that they're well sourced.

Here's a snippet from the larger Variety article:
Screen Shot 2018-08-27 at 12.56.30 PM.png

And the full article if you're interested: https://variety.com/2018/digital/fe...rvices-netflix-disney-comcast-att-1202910463/

Also, I am fully confident 40 million people will want to pay for Disney content. It is just such a vast number for them to aim for and ONLY break even.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
The first article was paraphrasing Variety's article. I trust that they're well sourced.

Here's a snippet from the larger Variety article:
View attachment 306487

And the full article if you're interested: https://variety.com/2018/digital/fe...rvices-netflix-disney-comcast-att-1202910463/

I know the article I read it, I'm not questioning their sourcing. I'm questioning how analysts are doing their projections. There is no guarantee it was going to be a continual $300 Million after next year.

nevol

So, Falcon was going to be harder to pilot and any crashes would have ended the ride. They realized this didn't make sense for guests, so they scaled it back, and now the ship will just get damaged when you crash it but bounce back. To make it interesting the ship will have to jump to hyperspace from one location to the next; do we let those decisions be driven by guests? Meaning if guests dont jump to hyperspace they're stuck in one boring location? My guess is there wont be much piloting. A fairly linear path, like a cylinder, that you can fly through and crash into elements along the way, though guests will never notice they're in a cylinder of sorts. Or itll have pinch points where level spawning takes place, to reveal a new level with more freedom. Moments in space with absolute control, for example, and then we are guided during transitions just to keep the thing going along. Not really the end of the world. If they gave us total control, we would all get motion sickness because our pilots would be spinning us in rapid corkskrew inversions, 30 a minute like we are on cyberspace mountain at disneyquest, and the cockpit won't be able to keep pace, creating a disconnect between what our eyes are receiving and what our bodies are receiving. I don't see how these mentioned concerns affect anybody except the pilot. Those controlling weaponry should be free to spin around shooting wherever, whatever they want.

What would be the end of the world is if they just give up completely and give us false interactivity. If they were considering a website that could prepare us for piloting the falcon and the respective jobs of each seat, then they ought to release that website/game regardless. People would obsess over it for sure and make the ride experience more competitive than it was ever intended to be, while saving the guest experience and rerideability.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom