News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

D

Deleted member 107043

I'd eat there if they served Roast Ewok.

g1439127757829963047.jpg

TP2000

Why you do suppose they are piling all of that dirt on the expansion pad?

It's an old construction tactic. You pile dirt onto a spot where you will be building a heavy and/or complex structure, so that the ground compacts as much as possible before construction begins. It's also a nice way to contain all the dirt you are digging up and creating in big construction.

But it's really to give a future foundation a better chance at handling a heavy load. Whatever they have planned for the Millenium Falcon ride and Frozen expansion pad, it must be big and heavy.

Old Mouseketeer

It's an old construction tactic. You pile dirt onto a spot where you will be building a heavy and/or complex structure, so that the ground compacts as much as possible before construction begins. It's also a nice way to contain all the dirt you are digging up and creating in big construction.

But it's really to give a future foundation a better chance at handling a heavy load. Whatever they have planned for the Millenium Falcon ride and Frozen expansion pad, it must be big and heavy.

But it's not on the expansion pad. That piece is being used for staging all the earthmoving equipment and two giant water tanks. The giant mound is covering the Falcon show building site. I have had several TT and FL CMs confirm this.

TP2000

But it's not on the expansion pad. That piece is being used for staging all the earthmoving equipment and two giant water tanks. The giant mound is covering the Falcon show building site. I have had several TT and FL CMs confirm this.

Ah, okay. In the photos it looks like the mound may extend into the expansion pad too.

But the Falcon ride building must be planned to be big and heavy, judging by the size of that dirt mound!

D

Deleted member 107043

View attachment 144525 This isn't a great pic, but again shows the massive amount of land being developed. From 6/1

It's actually great in that it allows us to see that the construction zone goes right up to edge of Big Thunder, which wasn't clear from the images I've seen. You can also make out the old ROA route and what appears to be the new one..

danlb_2000

Premium Member

They did this with the Seven Dwarves Mine ride at MK. There was a big mountain for months at the location where the ride was eventually built.

Stevek

Mintcrocodile posted a pic last night on Twitter and is appears that the Mine Train stone arch has now been removed. Seemed they were going to save it, wonder if they could not or plans changed. Let the uproar begin <grabs popcorn>

Attachments

• arch.jpg
    arch.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 175
Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom