News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

D

Deleted member 107043

Bye-bye Berm, we're getting to the end of site prep!

i-D7Wz4hh-O.png

(Via Mint Crocodile)

Edit: Here's last Friday for quick comparison

i-MxTKwtb-O.png

So we're able to look right into what was once the northern end of the ROA straight through to the backside of Fantasyland now. Crazy! I assume the berm will return, but maybe in a slightly different configuration?

jbradway

Almost wonder if that built up dirt path is just about where the new train route is going to go. The path I'm talking is just above the fenced backstage road and below the BTMRR peak and slightly to the left of the shortened island. Sort of makes a backwards "S".

BrianLo

Original Poster
So we're able to look right into what was once the northern end of the ROA straight through to the backside of Fantasyland now. Crazy! I assume the berm will return, but maybe in a slightly different configuration?

It will return as rock work and a train trestle (plus a warehouse for fantastic) instead of dirt.

Almost wonder if that built up dirt path is just about where the new train route is going to go. The path I'm talking is just above the fenced backstage road and below the BTMRR peak and slightly to the left of the shortened island. Sort of makes a backwards "S".

I agree, that's pretty close to where I'm expecting the new rock work and trestle to run.

Old Mouseketeer

They should start building the foundation graves in a few weeks. I bet we see vertical in later July or August.

Certainly we would need to see vertical construction on the river route and train path by this fall. But one hears that actual SWL won't go vertical until the new year.

Rich T

Gadzooks. Goodbye prettiest, most relaxing spot in DL. I'm looking forward to Star Wars and the new river landscape... but I just hope that somewhere, somehow beauty and calm still has a place in the park. I can't believe I'm quoting Tim Burton's trampling of Wonderland, but I don't want Disneyland to lose its "muchness." Huge chunks of ineffable mood, character and atmosphere have been vaporized here, to be replaced by... well that remains to be felt when it all opens. No use complaining; that election's over. A new DL is coming. It'll be fun, at the very least, but... Don't let us down, Disney. This better be the best thing ever.

TP2000

Here's some more great photos from this weekend from Dateline Disneyland. http://micechat.com/126946-frozen-live-at-the-hyperion/
DSC_2638-XL.jpg

Here we can see the new route of the river around Tom Sawyer Island. That original Miceage map from six months ago looks more and more accurate by the day, I have to say.
DSC_2657-XL.jpg

IMG_5975-XL.jpg

Here's over on the opposite side of the Island, looking up the old Big Thunder Trail with Big Thunder Mountain immediately to the right in this photo. You can see the original 1955 train tunnel. And yes, @Dr. Hans Reinhardt was correct that the smaller tunnel to the south was from the old Mine Train Thru Natures Wonderland, not the Disneyland Railroad. Good catch Hans!
IMG_5969-XL.jpg

Meanwhile, that big pile of dirt on the "Expansion Pad" rumored to be for Frozen keeps getting taller and taller!
DSC_2702-XL.jpg

D

Deleted member 107043

Why you do suppose they are piling all of that dirt on the expansion pad?

Last edited by a moderator:

jbradway

So I guess the river side seating area for the Hungry Bear is doomed for the walkway to the new Star Wars land? I'm assuming it is because the other side of the restaurant is the train track and Pooh queue entrances.

Old Mouseketeer

So I guess the river side seating area for the Hungry Bear is doomed for the walkway to the new Star Wars land? I'm assuming it is because the other side of the restaurant is the train track and Pooh queue entrances.

Reportedly they will widen the walkway into the river. I'm assuming the walkway would be beside the river rather than under the upper deck. But it raises an interesting set of questions.

mickEblu

Reportedly they will widen the walkway into the river. I'm assuming the walkway would be beside the river rather than under the upper deck. But it raises an interesting set of questions.

I hadn't heard any reports but this is what I was assuming. It would ruin the ambiance of eating on the lower level but I suppose it's better than the alternative. I hope that they can make the path decline where the Hungry Bear stands so the feel doesn't get completely ruined

Old Mouseketeer

I hadn't heard any reports but this is what I was assuming. It would ruin the ambiance of eating on the lower level but I suppose it's better than the alternative. I hope that they can make the path decline where the Hungry Bear stands so the feel doesn't get completely ruined

Sorry, I didn't make it clear. I also think it would be sad to lose dining beside the river. I actually prefer dining on the upper level, but I can understand the appeal of downstairs. We can only hope for the best.

mickEblu

Are we certain that Hungry Bear isn't going away?

I hope not. I haven't heard of anything.

It's weird but One of the the things I'm most intrigued by with SWL is the path that's going to connect Critter Country to the new land. It's always been that dead end (Hungry Bear in particular) on the edge of Disneyland looking out toward the frontier that you couldn't really explore unless by train or boat. Although that feeling of vastness will be lost, im intrigued by the possibilities with the new path. One report I read made it sound like it could be a nice lush, meandering path where they slowly start introducing Star Wars references (X wings on the cliffs, etc.)

Old Mouseketeer

Are we certain that Hungry Bear isn't going away?

My rebel spies have given me no indication that such a thing is contemplated. Otherwise, why would they keep it open now and put up barriers around the dining areas? They certainly have no restraint on any other affected facility. In addition, I have seen no reports on any Disney fan sites that such a thing is pending.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom