• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

Old Mouseketeer

01c84628c4cdca07f5a9f83e8c3ca5b4.jpg

This one is from 1959 I believe. Looks like one tunnel for the train and maybe another one for the Painted Desert backstage access? Looks about right since the Fantasyland skyway chalet is just off to the right of the painted desert tunnel. Just like the current demo pictures seem to show.

4f1d0c6447f784c388ec0d54f3514939.jpg

Thanks for these pictures--they fill in some details for me that I could only infer were there. If you were on the other side of the tunnel in the color picture of the Painted Desert, you would see three tunnels. The one in the color picture runs NE to SW and is now paint storage. In the B&W picture you can see the SFDRR tunnel next to it that runs W to E. Behind the train in the color photo is the tunnel that now runs from FL Theater to Big Thunder Trail, and under the back of the old Skyway station.

My rebel spies are speculating how much of this is about to be demolished along with the Skyway Station, including all three tunnels.

Thanks again.

Old Mouseketeer

In addition to "Chief Waves-A-Lot" on the train, there is also the "Cigar Store Indian" in front of the former Tobacconist's on Main St. USA next to the Magic Shop, unofficially known as "Chief Stands-A-Lot" and his cousin/brother in Frontierland in front of the pin shop, "Chief Leans-A-Lot" (because the wooden sidewalk tilts). I confess I got this from a Mark Twain Captain.

D

Deleted member 107043

That baseball field, among other things, obviously had to go.

I'm sure if the internet had existed back then there would have been a chorus of online detractors complaining about its closure wondering why Walt Disney would want to replace it with a land based on a real city featuring a ride full of mechanical pirates...

Rich T

I would love to see Disney today open a park with a baseball field built into it.
Oh! Oh! MUDVILLE!!! Featuring a live stunt/comedy staging of "Casey at the Bat!"
Mudville.jpg

A land dedicated to turn-of-the-century basebalI-- I would so dig this!!! :D Take the "Casey's Corner" concept from WDW and supersize it into a Medieval Times lunch/dinner show with all-you-can eat hot dogs, peanuts, Cracker Jack, soda and beer!

Last edited:

Rich T

They could build a whole sports themed park.
A park themed around Sports: Past, Present and Future!

Land 1 - MUDVILLE (like a wide version of Main St. with a central park and the Casey-at-the-bat stunt/comedy show in the Mudville Ballpark.
Land 2 - ESPN Square
Land 3 - Tron Gamegrid
Land 4 - Goofy's SportsWorld
Land 5 - Winterdome Snowfest (I'm sure Disney's got some kinda snow/ice-themed IP they could work in here... can't think of it's name offhand... :D
Land 6 - Offroad Adventures

rle4lunch

As the thread title suggests, stay on target. We've slipped into a wouldacouldashoulda nostalgic hindsight is 20/20 zone.

Any new updates on Star Wars Land, or should we talk about Field of Dreams? You know, if Walt builds it, they will come.

Rich T

As the thread title suggests, stay on target. We've slipped into a wouldacouldashoulda nostalgic hindsight is 20/20 zone.

Any new updates on Star Wars Land, or should we talk about Field of Dreams? You know, if Walt builds it, they will come.
I wanna see a "Field of Dreams" style film about Walt's ghost and movie studio polo teams! :D Um, okay, waiting for some more construction shots to be gobsmacked by. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Top Bottom