News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

Rich T

That would be good because when Star Wars Land opens, I don't see how they could feasibly keep "Tomorrowland" open anymore. I guess they can put more temporary things in place of Star Tours and Innoventions, and the theater, but even I can admit that would be terrible.
Oh, I'm sure it'll hobble along for years until the big redo. Even though it looks a mess, it contains popular attractions like Space Mtn., Star Tours and Buzz, plus -- let us not forget -- one of the biggest and most profitable gift shops in the park. From a non-theme-park-fan exec's point of view up there in sharp pencil land, it's probably swell as is for a while.

D

Deleted member 107043

Why do I laugh every time I see this?

97658.jpg

mickEblu

I wouldn't be too surprised if the demolition of the "spaghetti bowl" is initiated as part of the Fantasyland expansion since part of the area we're discussing extends across the border into Fantasyland.

I don't think they would want all those attractions down with Toontown down at the some time. I believe most of the Fantasyland expansion discussion involves the FL theatre and Toontown.

D

Deleted member 107043

I don't think they would want all those attractions down with Toontown down at the some time. I believe most of the Fantasyland expansion discussion involves the FL theatre and Toontown.

Who can say for certain? Look what's happening right now in Frontierland...

D

Deleted member 107043

only difference is the Frontier land closures are necessary to build SWL per their plans.

And the same wouldn't be true if a portion of the "spaghetti bowl" adjacent to Small World was necessary for Fantasyland enhancements? Stop for a second and consider how huge and disruptive the current project is in comparison to what we're talking about for Fantasyland. In light of what they're currently doing, and the $1 billion commitment to DLR, I wouldn't rule anything out in terms of scope for Fantasyland or Tomorrowland renovations/expansion at this point.

mickEblu

And the same wouldn't be true if a portion of the "spaghetti bowl" adjacent to Small World was necessary for Fantasyland enhancements? Stop for a second and consider how huge and disruptive the current project is in comparison to what we're talking about for Fantasyland. In light of what they're currently doing, and the $1 billion commitment to DLR, I wouldn't rule anything out in terms of scope for Fantasyland or Tomorrowland renovations/expansion at this point.

I'll admit I don't know layout of the spaghetti bowl very well. Probably the least out of anywhere at DLR. However, the construction is rumored to be at the location of the Fantasyland theatre and Toontown. Those locations seem far enough way from the spaghetti bowl to cause any "necessary" closures. I get that they can always decide to refurbish or reconstruct some of the surrounding area. But the rumored locations seem to far enough way to cause any "necessary" closure. Unless I'm not understanding the layout in that area.

D

Deleted member 107043

I'll admit I don't know layout of the spaghetti bowl very well. Probably the least out of anywhere at DLR. However, the construction is rumored to be at the location of the Fantasyland theatre and Toontown. Those locations seem far enough way from the spaghetti bowl to cause any "necessary" closures. I get that they can always decide to refurbish or reconstruct some of the surrounding area. But the rumored locations seem to far enough way to cause any "necessary" closure. Unless I'm not understanding the layout in that area.

They are. I'm speculating by saying that plans could include a portion of the spaghetti bowl since it technically crosses into Fantasyland and some folks here believe that the removal of the Autopia and Subs is inevitable. Pay no attention to my hypothetical ramblings. ;)

Nland316

I think it'd be cool to make a sort of Discovery Bay land of sorts, as a buffer zone between Fantasyland and Tomorrowland in that spaghetti bowl space. The steam punk aesthetic seems like it would transition pretty well between the two lands.

Rich T

I think it'd be cool to make a sort of Discovery Bay land of sorts, as a buffer zone between Fantasyland and Tomorrowland in that spaghetti bowl space. The steam punk aesthetic seems like it would transition pretty well between the two lands.
Kingdom Hearts! (And now for an open plea) Disney, please, for Pete's sake, it's a whole ready-made steampunk Universe of your own characters and the one Disney IP teens and young adults find cooler than Tim Burton films! Ask your teenage kids how much Kingdom Hearts merchandise they'd buy if it was available at DL! The new free KH iPhone/Android game is a huge hit worldwide! The upcoming KH3 is the most anticipated videogame on the planet! It's a gold mine waiting to be...mined! Kinnngggggdommmm Heeeaaaaaarrrrtssss!!! (End plea).

TP2000

"Total Garbage" is pretty unfair. It's fun. It's sweet. It's entertaining. Some of the combinations of real sets and screens are wonderful. Most importantly, the sight of the subs in the lagoon is the prettiest thing in Tomorrowland. And it was a great middle finger to the Pressler Era.

What a great point about the Subs returning as a great middle finger to Paul Pressler, Cynthia Harriss and all their sleazy mall tactics and their un-American business decisions regarding Disneyland circa 1996-2003. It really was nice to have that ride reopen as a plussed up experience for new audiences back in 2007! That said, if the Submarines go away sometime around 2020 I think I would be okay with that.

If the Nemo Subs are garbage what does that make the ride in Epcot I wonder?

Cheap garbage.

As a big fan of Epcot it pains me to say that, but it's true. Compared to Disneyland's Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage, the Epcot version is cheap and dumb. But then, that Sea Cab ride past aquarium windows was always kind of hokey and underwhelming, even in the 1980's. If we'd had the Internet in 1986 when The Living Seas, Presented by United Technologies opened the online fan forums would have skewered the place for cheaping out so much and cutting so much from the original WDI artwork for that pavilion.

In 1982 WDI was saying we were going to get this...
ab38e264893d59cf9d287bda0806b20c.jpg

But in 1986 we just ended up with this...
Seas%20012.jpg

Heck, now that I think about it, The Seas With Nemo And Friends is a big improvement over the 1980's version. Even without the Hydrolators. Sometimes I don't envy Disney execs in the 2010's, because there's just no pleasing many hardcore fans, especially when we hold up the 1970's and 1980's as some mythical Golden Age when in reality there were plenty of budget cuts and lowered expectations back then too.

yookeroo

I second the Nemo subs are garbage compared to the old ride. "A scientific journey under the polar ice caps." As a kid it scared the crud out of me when the giant squid attacked. And I used to love the mermaids!

The old ride was pretty hokey. Kind of awful really.

When you think about the state Tomorrowland will be left in once Star Wars Land opens, it's kind of shocking.

I hope they bulldoze everything but Space Mountain, and do a completely different theme.

Bulldoze Space Mountain too.

As a big fan of Epcot it pains me to say that, but it's true. Compared to Disneyland's Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage, the Epcot version is cheap and dumb.

I prefer Epcot's version. I don't know why.

Mike S

Cheap garbage.

As a big fan of Epcot it pains me to say that, but it's true. Compared to Disneyland's Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage, the Epcot version is cheap and dumb. But then, that Sea Cab ride past aquarium windows was always kind of hokey and underwhelming, even in the 1980's. If we'd had the Internet in 1986 when The Living Seas, Presented by United Technologies opened the online fan forums would have skewered the place for cheaping out so much and cutting so much from the original WDI artwork for that pavilion.

In 1982 WDI was saying we were going to get this...
ab38e264893d59cf9d287bda0806b20c.jpg

But in 1986 we just ended up with this...
Seas%20012.jpg

Heck, now that I think about it, The Seas With Nemo And Friends is a big improvement over the 1980's version. Even without the Hydrolators. Sometimes I don't envy Disney execs in the 2010's, because there's just no pleasing many hardcore fans, especially when we hold up the 1970's and 1980's as some mythical Golden Age when in reality there were plenty of budget cuts and lowered expectations back then too.
Lol I can agree with that. While Living Seas needed something new it shouldn't have been Nemo. Same with Maelstrom and Frozen :(

westie

I used to love going down the elevators! Aside from that, though, my memories of The Living Seas are mostly confused with Sea World.

I loved the old Living Seas with the Hydrolators. I'm an aquarium guy so I could literally spend hours in there enjoying the air conditioning lol. But, then Disney dumbed it down and it became a haven for marauding children and talking turtles and they lost me. I think the last thing Disney did that was half way decent by adding movie characters to it was PotC. But thats just me thinking out loud.

D

Deleted member 107043

I'm pretty open to Disney making dramatic changes to Disneyland, but the thought of demolishing Space Mountain really troubles me. :cry: I could be soothed though if they replaced it with that bad@ss Tron Coaster from SDL.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom