News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

Mike S

While riding in a sub is neat-o, the Nemo ride is total garbage. The best parts of the original were actually looking out into the water - a segment that as Hans demonstrated above, has been significantly shortened by expanding the show building. Once you get inside, you're looking at LCD screens. WOW SUCH THRILL MANY AMAZE

Will not shed one tear when the inevitable closing announcement comes.
I liked it :oops:

Rich T

While riding in a sub is neat-o, the Nemo ride is total garbage. The best parts of the original were actually looking out into the water - a segment that as Hans demonstrated above, has been significantly shortened by expanding the show building. Once you get inside, you're looking at LCD screens. WOW SUCH THRILL MANY AMAZE

"Total Garbage" is pretty unfair. It's fun. It's sweet. It's entertaining. Some of the combinations of real sets and screens are wonderful. Most importantly, the sight of the subs in the lagoon is the prettiest thing in Tomorrowland. And it was a great middle finger to the Pressler Era.

I agree that riding through the lagoon is the best part. And it's not worth a long wait in line. And, if they keep the lagoon and come up with a better ride, I won't complain. :)

D

Deleted member 107043

I've never been a fan of the Subs, although I do agree that the lagoon is a nice feature and the concept is novel. The dive effect on the ride has always been one of the corniest things in the park though, ranking up there with the rediculous Mission to Mars collapsing seat cushions.

Rich T

I've never been a fan of the Subs, although I do agree that the lagoon is a nice feature and the concept is novel. The dive effect on the ride has always been one of the corniest things in the park though, ranking up there with the rediculous Mission to Mars collapsing seat cushions.
Did you ever experience that diving effect as a small kid? For me back then, it was 100% believable--sent chills down my spine! :) And, even if you don't buy into the diving--Where else do you get to ride underwater through the turbulence at the bottom of a huge waterfall? I always love that moment. But, speaking of cheese, the idea at the ride's end that you've been expelled through a whale's spout...Does. Not. Work.

D

Deleted member 107043

Did you ever experience that diving effect as a small kid?

Yep. In fact the first time I remember riding the subs was 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea at WDW in 1975! I was 12, maybe too old to be fooled by hokey effects like that I guess. Then again, when I was 6 or 7 I once told a department store Santa that I didn't think he was real. lol

And, even if you don't buy into the diving--Where else do you get to ride underwater through the turbulence at the bottom of a huge waterfall?

Agreed. Conceptually I think the ride is impressive.

westie

I second the Nemo subs are garbage compared to the old ride. "A scientific journey under the polar ice caps." As a kid it scared the crud out of me when the giant squid attacked. And I used to love the mermaids!

mickEblu

Do you think they would try to repurpose the lagoon, let it sit idle for (a long ) while or demo the whole area for a new attraction?

Curious Constance

I would have to imagine that if the lagoon/Nemo get the boot, that might be around the same time Autopia gets the boot too. Maybe several years into the future, after the newness of Star Wars land/Fantasyland expansion wears off, they will turn their sights towards Tomorrowland, and do a complete redo. By then Star Tours will likely be gone, everything else will be limping along with some half a**ed, temporary version of itself like Innoventions, the theater, Buzz. The only thing left that'll remain popular will be Space Mtn, so I bet they'll just get rid of it all at once.

Last edited:

Curious Constance

By that time the Honda agreement will likely be over, so that won't come into play.

It's kind of exciting.

Imagine Star wars land, an expanded Fantasyland, and a completely reimagined Tomorrowland along with all of the other lands that are pretty much amazing as is. How can Disneyland be so awesome? They might have to drag me out of there kicking and screaming.

Mike S

If the Nemo Subs are garbage what does that make the ride in Epcot I wonder? I also wouldn't want them to leave the park. That lagoon is wonderful and brought back memories of the old one in MK even though I never got to ride 20K.

BrianLo

Original Poster
If the Nemo Subs are garbage what does that make the ride in Epcot I wonder? I also wouldn't want them to leave the park. That lagoon is wonderful and brought back memories of the old one in MK even though I never got to ride 20K.

Not garbage, just not an effective use of space. Mysterious island in TDS has many of the same components done much better.

The writing is on the way for it. Maybe not soon, but once an idea takes hold to get rid of something it's only a matter of time.

D

Deleted member 107043

I agree. I'm thinking sometime after the FL expansion. So basically this is like 5-10 years away from happening.

I wouldn't be too surprised if the demolition of the "spaghetti bowl" is initiated as part of the Fantasyland expansion since part of the area we're discussing extends across the border into Fantasyland.

Curious Constance

I wouldn't be too surprised if the demolition of the "spaghetti bowl" is initiated as part of the Fantasyland expansion since part of the area we're discussing extends across the border into Fantasyland.
That would be good because when Star Wars Land opens, I don't see how they could feasibly keep "Tomorrowland" open anymore. I guess they can put more temporary things in place of Star Tours and Innoventions, and the theater, but even I can admit that would be terrible.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom