News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

mickEblu

It's a bit of a design necessity of the ride system they've chosen. Dispatching groups of roving vehicles need to contract and expand to keep up with the various show scenes. I think there are multiple elevators and different bays. It's the kitchen sink ride for a reason. If it logically would be something the ride should use, the answer is probably yes it does that.

I don't know if anyone has revealed definitely if it is dispatched in groups of 2, 3 or 4. I'm tending towards 3's as no one has raved about capacity.

Sounds pretty damn cool. To clarify I'm hoping there are multiple paths as in there are actually some show scenes that you may not get to see every ride through. Not like Indy, where the order of a few of the scenes are switched.

BrianLo

Original Poster
Sounds pretty damn cool. To clarify I'm hoping there are multiple paths as in there are actually some show scenes that you may not get to see every ride through. Not like Indy, where the order of a few of the scenes are switched.

Ya, I mean the former, not the Indy pretend version of different paths. Vehicles will physically enter rooms or alcoves that others do not. The Pooh's Hunny Hunt Heffalump scene or Mystic Manor's ice rooms being two core examples. Or the RSR race prep scenes for a DLR comparison

It's not going to be dramatically altered storylines, but there will be differences... and presumably people will have favourites.

mickEblu

Ya, I mean the former, not the Indy pretend version of different paths. Vehicles will physically enter rooms or alcoves that others do not. The Pooh's Hunny Hunt Heffalump scene or Mystic Manor's ice rooms being two core examples. Or the RSR race prep scenes for a DLR comparison

It's not going to be dramatically altered storylines, but there will be differences... and presumably people will have favourites.

Ok now that's cool. Almost like a physical lite version of Star Tours 2.0... without as much variation of course.

I like that people will have their favorites. Meaning multiple scenarios will be fun/ interesting and not just one everyone wants to get.

mickEblu

Does anyone know how much of the 14 acres the two attractions take up? The subject of 14 acres for only two rides constantly comes up so I was wondering how many of those acres are actually devoted to the attractions. If it takes up half or more of the acreage I think it kind of weakens the argument of there ONLY being 2 rides. But it also means that both of the attractions really have to deliver. To compare NOS contains two of the quintessential E tickets in a pretty tiny foot print... but that's only because the show buildings are outside of the berm. So I wonder how many acres is NOS INCLUDING the show buildings. That would be more of a fair comparison.

SSG

Does anyone know how much of the 14 acres the two attractions take up? The subject of 14 acres for only two rides constantly comes up so I was wondering how many of those acres are actually devoted to the attractions. If it takes up half or more of the acreage I think it kind of weakens the argument of there ONLY being 2 rides. But it also means that both of the attractions really have to deliver. To compare NOS contains two of the quintessential E tickets in a pretty tiny foot print... but that's only because the show buildings are outside of the berm. So I wonder how many acres is NOS INCLUDING the show buildings. That would be more of a fair comparison.
There is sort of a 3rd attraction (or Disney is hoping people see it that way) and that's the theming of the land itself. If the D23 model is accurate, there will be a ton of buildings, alleyways, and nooks to explore. That's taking up a good bit of space.

Last edited:

mickEblu

There is sort of a 3rd attraction (or Disney is hoping people see it that way) and that's the theming of the land itself. If the D23 model is accurate, there will be a ton of buildings, alleyways, and nooks to explore. That's taking up a good bit of space.

That sounds cool. I wonder on the execution though. Will they be able to give us intimate NOS size alleyways considering the demand and new ADA codes etc? Which brings up the question - do we even want these nooks and alleys to be intimate considering how many people will be there?

Phroobar

Great pic. I think this shot actually makes SWL look smaller than the direct overhead shot we are accustomed to seeing. Doesn't look as much like a "tumor" in this pic.
the-circle-is-now-complete.jpg

TP2000

There remains a ton of under-utilized space upfront in DL. Could a similar smaller phase 2 attraction or show actually be squeezed in there in comparison to DHS' known expansion pad?

It doesn't look big until you realize a show building 3x the size of Pooh could actually be placed there.

23826024838_2a518a519e_o.jpg

23826024658_0bf343d86b_o.png

Until then it will continue to be a football field sized slow reveal... the source of much WDW fanboi angst and DL fanboi gloating.

Oh, dear. There's angst in Orlando? Really? Not sure there needs to be angst, and neither do I think there's been much gloating.

I have mentioned the apparent spatial differences between the two lands because it's quite interesting to me to see how different they actually are after we had been told repeatedly by Disney that the lands would be "identical" on each coast. That doesn't seem to be the case at all, at least from the exterior of the two big E Tickets.

If there's been any gloating, I think that may stem from the fact that so many fans felt the land didn't belong in Disneyland, but that it fit perfectly in DHS. Perhaps creatively there's merit to that argument, but at least physically and spatially the opposite appears to be true. Disneyland has lots of extra space and elbow room in it's Star Wars Land, while the DHS version is quite literally crammed right up against Miss Piggy's backside.

BrianLo

Original Poster
Oh, dear. There's angst in Orlando? Really? Not sure there needs to be angst, and neither do I think there's been much gloating.

I have mentioned the apparent spatial differences between the two lands because it's quite interesting to me to see how different they actually are after we had been told repeatedly by Disney that the lands would be "identical" on each coast. That doesn't seem to be the case at all, at least from the exterior of the two big E Tickets.

If there's been any gloating, I think that may stem from the fact that so many fans felt the land didn't belong in Disneyland, but that it fit perfectly in DHS. Perhaps creatively there's merit to that argument, but at least physically and spatially the opposite appears to be true. Disneyland has lots of extra space and elbow room in it's Star Wars Land, while the DHS version is quite literally crammed right up against Miss Piggy's backside.

Ha I know, just poking fun!

The Mur

As you look at the DHS map and knowing where Star Tours is, it is really surprising that they didn't tear down what is now Grand Avenue and the Muppets Vision attraction. They would have had a bit more space and you could cleaning link Star Tours. I am sure that it came down to costs and lost attraction count but seems like it would have been a good idea.

jaxonp

We'll have to see how they shape out.
Battle Escape will indeed be a game-changer, but MF will be just an upgraded Star Tours. And as it is, I can't ride Star Tours. So, basically I get to enjoy Battle Escape...and the shops.

I think MF will end up blowing people away. Everyone said Flights of Passage was just an updated version of Soarin meets ST. Kinda but its so much more and its simply incredible. I have faith that after FOP that both of these attractions will be killer!

jaxonp

Kinda like Pandora...

D

Deleted member 107043

As you look at the DHS map and knowing where Star Tours is, it is really surprising that they didn't tear down what is now Grand Avenue and the Muppets Vision attraction. They would have had a bit more space and you could cleaning link Star Tours. I am sure that it came down to costs and lost attraction count but seems like it would have been a good idea.

What's the latest word on ST? The last rumor I read was that the US attractions were closing when SW:GE opens.

mickEblu

What's the latest word on ST? The last rumor I read was that the US attractions were closing when SW:GE opens.

Last I heard and the most consistent is that it will stick around for a few years after SWL opens. Makes sense considering the demand there will be for all things Star Wars and the overflow of people who won't be able to get into SWL or willing to wait in 5 hour lines.

TP2000

Ha I know, just poking fun!

Oh, good. But if my amateur hunch is correct, there probably will be angst a year from now when the satellite images show what I think they are going to show.

That is; DHS will have chunks of missing land and missing set design in the areas to the left of the Battle Escape ride, and missing structures and a slightly abbreviated village area in front of the Millennium Falcon ride. Just from what I've seen from the numerous aerial photos of DHS versus the scarce aerial photos of Disneyland, there's some major differences in the amount of space and set design within the two lands. Not to mention the three much longer entry pathways at Disneyland versus the two short entry pathways at DHS that lead into the lands.

The two rides themselves may be exact clones once you get inside, but the lands outside of those rides are most definitely not clones.

DisneyRoy

Oh, good. But if my amateur hunch is correct, there probably will be angst a year from now when the satellite images show what I think they are going to show.

That is; DHS will have chunks of missing land and missing set design in the areas to the left of the Battle Escape ride, and missing structures and a slightly abbreviated village area in front of the Millennium Falcon ride. Just from what I've seen from the numerous aerial photos of DHS versus the scarce aerial photos of Disneyland, there's some major differences in the amount of space and set design within the two lands. Not to mention the three much longer entry pathways at Disneyland versus the two short entry pathways at DHS that lead into the lands.

The two rides themselves may be exact clones once you get inside, but the lands outside of those rides are most definitely not clones.

From what I've been reading on these threads from those that are considered trusted insiders, everything you have stated is false. The lands will be a match with both taking 14 acres. Both have an area available for a second phase expansion. There may not be as much entryway but who cares about concrete pathways

TP2000

From what I've been reading on these threads from those that are considered trusted insiders, everything you have stated is false. The lands will be a match with both taking 14 acres. Both have an area available for a second phase expansion. There may not be as much entryway but who cares about concrete pathways

Got it, and after 20 years on Internet message boards (do I get a gold watch?) I absolutely love our "trusted insiders" for the latest scoop and dish. :)

And yet I have two eyes that can see the monthly aerial photos of these projects. There is quite obviously some major differences in land use and layout, with DHS apparently squeezing ride buildings right up against Miss Piggy's backside for example.

star-wars-galaxys-edge-air-09202017-4.jpg

star-wars-galaxys-edge-air-09202017-6.jpg

Folks keep saying "These are identical projects" and "There are no differences in scale or size or acreage", and yet these aerial photos say exactly the opposite of those statements. There appear to be major differences in land use and available space.

It all reminds me of the tale of the Emperor Has No Clothes, and everyone just keeps saying "They are identical". But they are clearly not, and I find that particularly amusing. :D

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom