News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
It's going from LA tunnel to alien wilderness that's abrupt. There's no slow dissolve from western wilderness to alien wilderness like at DL.

There are no tunnels in Star Wars?

I think you and others are overstating the 'slow dissolve' from one land to another at DL. You're in a DL Land, you go through a tunnel, then you're in SWL. Period. There is no gradual removal of DL elements complemented by a gradual addition of SW elements. Both parks it's the same: A tunnel. SW on one side, and the rest of the park on the other side.

And what do you mean by a "Western wilderness"? You think there's going to be a hundred yards of wilderness landscaping before you get to the tunnel with no Western buildings?

britain

And what do you mean by a "Western wilderness"? You think there's going to be a hundred yards of wilderness landscaping before you get to the tunnel with no Western buildings?

Not a hundred yards, but I expect the landscaping found on this side of the railroad bridge...
upload_2017-10-12_12-39-41.png

...to be much the same on the Star Wars side of the railroad bridge.

As opposed to parking signs, lane paint and asphalt.

britain

Again citing Foxx Fur's excellent post, the Awkward Transitions of Disneyland, DL has always – of necessity – had lands 'step on each other's toes' due to tight space. And so minor design details help to keep the transitions from being jarring:

A bit of exposed brick under Adventureland's wall here ties to recently passed Main Street brick:
upload_2017-10-12_12-44-54.png

Similar shingles and sharp wood stakes form a restroom wall that could work well in both Adventureland and Frontierland:
upload_2017-10-12_12-49-16.png

The stairs & tree to Tarzan's treehouse, technically an Adventureland attraction, but needing to remain supportive of New Orleans Square & Pirates' queue specifically.
upload_2017-10-12_12-51-10.png

britain

Ah... so you're referring to the 'walled' divisions of the lands as viewed from both sides, then?

I think so, if I'm understanding you correctly.

You're saying that since DHS' Star Wars area will be tightly airlocked, so to speak, and you'll never see the other lands when in it and vice versa, that a clean, clear delineated boundary between lands will work fine. I'm sure it will work fine. I just personally like it when lands bleed into other lands at the edges.

One of my favorites is DLP's placement of their Peter Pan ride at the edge of Fantasyland closest to Adventureland's Pirates of the Caribbean and Skull Rock.

sirstude

There is a great overhead shot of Starwarsland on themeparx Someone was flying into John Wayne and the flight path was changed a bit for the air show. Don't know how to copy it over here.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

Great pic. I think this shot actually makes SWL look smaller than the direct overhead shot we are accustomed to seeing. Doesn't look as much like a "tumor" in this pic.
That's probably just from the angle the pics taken at...14 acres isn't that big of a place in relation to the rest of the park, but just from my eye's view, it looks to be bigger than Tomorrowland (not counting Autopia).

Not to start an "only two rides?" debate...but that is a lot of land for one IP to have ownership of.

mickEblu

Not to start an "only two rides?" debate...but that is a lot of land for one IP to have ownership of.

Yeah this has always been my second biggest issue with the land. 1st issue being it's placement and third being the possibilities that were lost that could have fit better with DL.

It's a whole lot of space for one IP and I would hate to see this be at trend at DL. I don't care so much at any other park. TBH i think most of the rest of the park is safe as most of the classics are grandfathered in. The fact that they didn't just bulldoze the ROA kind of reaffirms this. As well as the fact that Star Wars is a phenomenon and probably the only thing/ IP they would ever go through all this trouble to build and devote 14 acres to.

Anyway in SWL's defense, I suppose if I had my choice between 2 world class E tickets or 1 E ticket and 3 Cs I would go with the former.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

Yeah this has always been my second biggest issue with the land. 1st issue being it's placement and third being the possibilities that were lost that could have fit better with DL.

It's a whole lot of space for one IP and I would hate to see this be at trend at DL. I don't care so much at any other park. TBH i think most of the rest of the park is safe as most of the classics are grandfathered in. The fact that they didn't just bulldoze the ROA kind of reaffirms this. As well as the fact that Star Wars is just a phenomenon and probably the only thing/ IP they would ever go through all this trouble to build and devote 14 acres to.

Anyway in SWL's defense, I suppose if I had my choice between 2 world class E tickets or 1 E ticket and 3 Cs I would go with the former.
We'll have to see how they shape out.
Battle Escape will indeed be a game-changer, but MF will be just an upgraded Star Tours. And as it is, I can't ride Star Tours. So, basically I get to enjoy Battle Escape...and the shops.

mickEblu

We'll have to see how they shape out.
Battle Escape will indeed be a game-changer, but MF will be just an upgraded Star Tours. And as it is, I can't ride Star Tours. So, basically I get to enjoy Battle Escape...and the shops.

Yeah i hear ya. I rarely ride Star Tours... or Indy for that matter. I'm not sure why that is. Is it a coincidence that the two IP rides at the park are the least repeatable for me? It probably has more to do with the fact that of all the E ticket thrill rides at the parks, they are probably the least thrilling in terms of physical motion/ speed. That and when your trips last an average of 6-7 hours I guess I stick to the stuff I like more. Star Tours / Indy is usually reserved for days when I take family from out of town or non APs.

I think the more we expect out of Battle Escape the more disappointed we may be and the more we just call the Falcon ride an "upgraded Star Tours" the more pleasantly surprised we may be. Expectations are a big factor.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

Yeah i hear ya. I rarely ride Star Tours... or Indy for that matter. I'm not sure why that is. Is it a coincidence that the two IP rides at the park are the least repeatable for me? It probably has more to do with the fact that of all the E ticket thrill rides at the parks, they are probably the least thrilling in terms of physical motion/ speed. That and when your trips last an average of 6-7 hours I guess I stick to the stuff I like more. Star Tours / Indy is usually reserved for days when I take family from out of town or non APs.
I used to pass Indy too, but I started going on it again recently...and man that's just such a complete attraction.
From queue entrance to exit...there's not a moment that's not enjoyable. Granted yes, the ride does suffer from some age and normal wear and tear, but I can even listen to just the attraction audio in my car and feel excited.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom